Why is it so hard to buy TVs or can you recommend me a monitor?

Bramimond

What I thought to be a fairly easy process, since I don't have much expectations of my monitor turned out to be complicated or maybe impossible.

I've only got four requirements:

1. 120Hz or more
  2. Between 40" and 55"
  3. Very resilient to screen burn
  4. Doesn't stutter in long panning shots

So I researched and found to solve (3) I need QLED, but then it seems all the QLEDs with 120Hz or more are made by Samsung and Samsung has an inherent problem with stutter in long panning shots.

I'm currently using some 11 year old TV from LG that suffers from screen burn, so I kind of have to replace it now. I'm using it as a computer monitor and the panel/status bar got burned in. There's nothing I can do about that, since the panel is always there, so my new monitor needs to be able to handle that.

Price isn't much of an issue, as long as it doesn't exceed four digits, though I was kinda hoping to get this for under $2000.

That and I'm kind of set on the wall mounting measurements, since it's already in place, but that's a worry for after finding something that fits my four requirements. (It's only about the height for the screws, so that the display roughly fits with the height of my desk in front of it.)

I'm from Germany, if that should make a difference and I'm only using it as a monitor for my (Linux) PC that I also use to watch movies occasionally and play games on.

Are you planning on feeding it a 50Hz video feed? If not, that whole thread you linked won't apply to you.

I'd also make sure that you really, really want a 40 to 55 inch computer display. That's enormous and would be really uncomfortable to use at a desk. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I'm already using a forty-some inch display. It's a sweet spot, basically. It's wall mounted, so not actually on the desk. 55" is about the largest that works with this setup. Can recommend this. You only think it's enormous, but you get used to it real quick and it's very comfy. Also makes dual monitors obsolete.

My current TV also experiences stutter in such scenes and I really want that to go away after replacing the TV. I'm watching video of all kinds, including 50Hz. Also, the people complaining about this issue said they also experience it with 24Hz and 60Hz, but maybe in a different forum. That was just the summary of the issue.

33 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

I'm already using a forty-some inch display. It's a sweet spot, basically. It's wall mounted, so not actually on the desk. 55" is about the largest that works with this setup. Can recommend this. You only think it's enormous, but you get used to it real quick and it's very comfy. Also makes dual monitors obsolete.

My current TV also experiences stutter in such scenes and I really want that to go away after replacing the TV. I'm watching video of all kinds, including 50Hz. Also, the people complaining about this issue said they also experience it with 24Hz and 60Hz, but maybe in a different forum. That was just the summary of the issue.

24fps and 60fps content will play correctly on a 120hz display as they both divide into 120.  50hz on the other hand, you'll need a 100hz mode which really isn't that uncommon on high refresh rate displays.  Even the GSync PC monitor I'm on openly does 100hz.

FYI, they also make TVs that just outright support 24 and 25hz. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Most of what I'm watching seems to be 24Hz (or really 23.976fps), which made problems on my current 60Hz display.

So then going to 144Hz will also be problematic for 60Hz stuff?

Else I finally found something: Gigabyte Aorus FV43U

Though, it is somewhat on the small side and looks a bit ugly from the front. But at least it is something.

• 3 weeks later...

But then the Sidekick software included with the FV43U seems to be married to Windows, which I do not have.

Moving onto the OSD Sidekick, it’s a nice idea, but they’ve completely removed the monitor’s menu system barring the basic input switching, mode selecting and turning it off that are still build in. This would be alright, if it didn’t have to be plugged in via USB to a Windows PC – so if you wanted this for your linux system, good luck adjusting anything but input!  

https://techteamgb.co.uk/2019/02/13/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-gigabyte-ad27qd-review/

Why is it so hard to buy a screen..

Twenty years ago this was a lot easier.

• 2 years later...

Did we get new TVs that are completely invulnerable to the burn-in issue in the past years? I still haven't found anything, but managed to cure the burn-in on my LCD by changing the color of the panel to gray.