global warming

I think that nothing will be done, politicians/corporations will change nothing, because changing something will damage their own pokets; 

politicians/corporations will continue to "care" to attract votes/consumers/investors, like how different European countries do send firefighters into other countries, to show how do they care, while still doing nothing to prevent and solve the root issue; how platic become green, while most of it can't be recycled, and the cost of the recycled plastic is hugely highter than new plastic, but consumers are stupid, as long that's works to make them buy our shit it's ok

alternatives will be not incentivated, because they are either "too expensive" or futile motivation like "too ugly" prevent them to go into the market, just to let other things continue dominating the market

10 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

I think that nothing will be done, politicians/corporations will change nothing

So you think, politicians are the problem? I don't.

I think, all of us consumers are the problem. You and me included.

We can change our behavior and if we do, companies will change their products.

For example I take my shopping basket to the super market, so I never need any plastic bags or paper bags.

Also I don't get a new mobile phone every year but only every 5 years.
Also I pick my PC components wisely, so that I can easiely use my PC for 5 years before upgrading.

Also I sell my old PCs to friends who have a low budget, so they will be used as long as possible.

Also I don't use an airplane for most of my holidays. I go sailing in my own country using the wind to travel from village to village.

At my parents house, there is a solar panel for hot water, so we don't need gas to heat up water for the shower, the washing mashine and the dishwasher in the summer.

Keep doing stuff like this and motivate friends and family to do the same.

What do you do to prevent global warming?

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

1 hour ago, suedseefrucht said:

For example I take my shopping basket to the super market, so I never need any plastic bags or paper bags.

Also I don't get a new mobile phone every year but only every 5 years.
Also I pick my PC components wisely, so that I can easiely use my PC for 5 years before upgrading.

Also I sell my old PCs to friends who have a low budget, so they will be used as long as possible.

Also I don't use an airplane for most of my holidays. I go sailing in my own country using the wind to travel from village to village.

At my parents house, there is a solar panel for hot water, so we don't need gas to heat up water for the shower, the washing mashine and the dishwasher in the summer.

Keep doing stuff like this and motivate friends and family to do the same.

What do you do to prevent global warming?

stop wasting time into blabbing (what I'm doing right now, why I'm even writing to some random dude, I'll stop with this irrelevant comment) and finding who's more guilty

if you think that you and your small group of friends will change anything you're either delusional or don't know how basic statistics do work.

such small sample is irrelevant.

we're highly depended on fuels, so in your knowledge or not, you're still consuming it, and you know how much? no you don't.

it's unfortunate, but politics do matter, but in this forum it's not allowed;

how the hell did plastic become recyclable, when most of it gets burned anyway? lobbing

how is nuclear fission and renovables pushed drawback? obviously they are either too ugly, expensive or dangerous such as fuels weren't

30 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

stop wasting time into blabbing

31 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

you're either delusional or don't know how basic statistics do work

You know, there is destructive criticism, which you are practicing. It doesn't help anyone and it changes nothing.

So you are saying, you hate the situation, but you won't change anything because you don't believe in yourself. Bravo. If everyone thinks like that, we are lost.

And then there is constructive criticism with actual examples, what we can do better. That's, what I do.

I am giving examples, what people can change every day. The situation will never be perfect, but we can improve the situation. And if everybody just helps a little bit, we can do it.

47 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

don't know how basic statistics do work.

Well, I learned statistics at the university and I know, oil and gas will be gone some day. And because I know economy, I know, prices will rise when there will be less supply and the same demand. So companies cant afford to go for oil and gas long term.

51 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

how the hell did plastic become recyclable, when most of it gets burned anyway?

Like I said: Improvement - not perfection. Some plastic products can be recycled, some cant. If you've got a better idea, how to recylce all the plastic, tell us.

41 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

if you think that you and your small group of friends will change anything you're either delusional or don't know how basic statistics do work.

My friends and family are not the only ones, who try to change something. Besides that, my friends and family also have friends, family and colleges to share the spirit with. And even 2 strangers reacted to this post and they have friends and family too.

Just two examples for you, when a single person changed a lot:
Greta Thunberg,
Martin Luther King.

My build:

CPU

CPU cooler

Motherboard

RAM

GPU

SSD

HDD

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6

Yeah the climate crisis is real and we are basically screwed. We'll likely be reaching the 1.5 C threshold faster than previously estimated.

3 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

I disagree that consumers are the problem. Part of it? Sure. I agree with some of your points e.g. phones could try to skip a year unless they can be something substantially different, trying to not use plastic bags for shopping and reselling old hardware. Picking components "wisely" is next to impossible as this is completely subjective, but has some merit in maybe buying something a little more expensive every 2 years instead of the slightly cheaper one every year.

6 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

And then there is constructive criticism with actual examples, what we can do better. That's, what I do.

I am giving examples, what people can change every day. The situation will never be perfect, but we can improve the situation. And if everybody just helps a little bit, we can do it.

I completely agree that there are plenty of things we can try to do as an individual and that it's good. However, this has been severely abused by companies in my opinion to turn this into campaigns about how we as people can help fend off climate change, while they are the main culprit. Yes, it's absolutely beneficial to, as an individual, try and reduce our energy consumption, try and install solar panels, go for green energy etc., but stuff like use a mug instead of paper cups will not save us.

This is a global issue and we shouldn't spend all our time just pointing fingers, realistically w hat we need is a drastic switch in e.g. our energy generation. Simply using less won't save us. We need to stop using fossil fuels fast if we want to have any chance at keeping this in check.

7 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Well, I learned statistics at the university and I know, oil and gas will be gone some day. And because I know economy, I know, prices will rise when there will be less supply and the same demand. So companies cant afford to go for oil and gas long term.

The problem is that "some day" isn't good enough, fossil fuels aren't going away fast enough. Gray energy needs to become more expensive than green energy, which is hard to achieve. Gray energy is still cheaper and, more importantly, still encouraged by mostly bullshit practises such as "offsetting" your carbon footprint by paying some money every year. Susbidies for green energy have been implemented to make it as cheap or cheaper than gray energy for the companies buying energy, but we aren't there yet.

According to the latest IPCC report we'll need to have net-zero CO2 emission by ~2050 if we want to have a decent chance at keeping global warming limited to 1.5 C. We as people/consumers will not be able to achieve that on our own, because energy companies are in the for us unfortunate position of "well do you want power or not".

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

As someone who studied in the field of Climatology and remote-sensing I'm going to repeat what one of my professors told us: We are too late to change anything significant at this time.

Yes we can still minimize the effects to some degree but if and how we can change things is still unknown. The biggest problem with climate is that it doesn't react instantly to change but rather slowly which means anything we do now will probably only take effect on our climate in 20-30 years. So we probably can only alter the climate change, which we as humans significantly accelerated, after 2050. Which means we will probably have no to minimal permanently frozen landscapes by then which in turn will accelerate climate change even further and therefore could make change we do now insignificant. The problem is we as humans (at least most of us) ignored the problem for far too long and now when it is basically too late try to change it somehow.

Politics all around the world try to change it by making everyone switch to EV by 2030 something which is 1 too late and 2 on the global scale too insignificant, especially as new and emerging economic powers like China, India, ... don't care at all.

Yes, theoretically everyone counts so even if you stop driving your car and use your bike which would be far more beneficial than an EV for climate that is, it is foolish too believe that a few people or even countries who change something that small in scale can alter the climate change in any way. To make change happen basically all manufacturing plants need to be altered to decrease their emissions by a lot and that needs to be done on a global level not just a few countries in NA and Europe. Considering the global politics and technology at this time that is very unlikely.

I mean it probably is a good idea right now to buy land somewhere where the coastline is going to be after the sea level rise so you can at least enjoy the warm weather on the beach when we get there.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

13 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

we will probably have no to minimal permanently frozen landscapes by then which in turn will accelerate climate change even further

Yeah, unfortunately, it's a chain reaction. The ocean becomes sour and even less carbon dioxide will be stored in plankton.

16 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

To make change happen basically all major manufacturing plants need to be altered to decrease their emissions by a lot and that needs to be done on a global level not just a few countries in NA and Europe.

That will take some time. I mean, we optimized coal power plants over 140 years. Now it will also take time to change infrastuctures and to optimize alternative power plants.

My build:

CPU

CPU cooler

Motherboard

RAM

GPU

SSD

HDD

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6

3 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

That will take some time. I mean, we optimized coal power plants over 140 years. Now it will also take time to change infrastuctures and to optimize alternative power plants.

Also a large part of the problem is that "optimisation" you are speaking of is happening in first world countries, not everywhere. When you in Germany "optimise" something or upgrade something or change some laws for the environment, most of that old stuff is sold to third world countries like mine where is still being used so problem is not solved only moved somewhere else.

Similar with plastic, its exported to a forth world country were nobody can say anything against it.

10 minutes ago, Kadzo said:

most of that old stuff is sold to third world countries like mine where is still being used so problem is not solved only moved somewhere else.

Right, so it's even more important for first world countries to change the technology now, because it will take a few years until it will be sold to 3rd world countries.

My build:

CPU

CPU cooler

Motherboard

RAM

GPU

SSD

HDD

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6

1 hour ago, Montana16 said:

As someone who studied the field of Climatology and remote-sensing I'm going to repeat what one of my professors told us: We are too late to change anything significant at this time.

Yes we can still minimize the effects to some degree but if and how we can change things is still unknown. The biggest problem with climate is that it doesn't react instantly to change but rather slowly which means anything we do now will probably only take effect on our climate in 20-30 years. So we probably can only alter the climate change, which we as humans significantly accelerated, after 2050. Which means we will probably have no to minimal permanently frozen landscapes by then which in turn will accelerate climate change even further and therefore could make change we do now insignificant. The problem is we as humans (at least most of us) ignored the problem for far too long and now when it is basically too late try to change it somehow.

Politics all around the world try to change it by making everyone switch to EV by 2030 something which is 1 too late and 2 on the global scale too insignificant, especially as new and emerging economic powers like China, India, ... don't care at all.

Yes, theoretically everyone counts so even if you stop driving your car and use your bike which would be far more beneficial than an EV for climate that is, it is foolish too believe that a few people or even countries who change something that small in scale can alter the climate change in any way. To make change happen basically all manufacturing plants need to be altered to decrease their emissions by a lot and that needs to be done on a global level not just a few countries in NA and Europe. Considering the global politics and technology at this time that is very unlikely.

1 hour ago, Montana16 said:

I mean it probably is a good idea right now to buy land somewhere where the coastline is going to be after the sea level rise so you can at least enjoy the warm weather on the beach when we get there.

idk about that

since everything will be a mess, wars might start too

unless the climate doesn't get so fucked up that destroys everything, oh then there is the earth's axis that's changing because the glaciers are melting

in the hands of idiots pretty much

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

unless the climate doesn't get so fucked up that destroys everything, oh then there is the earth's axis that's changing because the glaciers are melting

The precession is normal. Interesting that glacial melt has influenced it though, causing it to change much faster.

2 hours ago, Montana16 said:

The biggest problem with climate is that it doesn't react instantly to change but rather slowly which means anything we do now will probably only take effect on our climate in 20-30 years.

scientific_briefing.png

Climate change in a nutshell.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

* thread locked *

Please follow the Community Standards at all time, we don't allow political discussion and being rude/condescending to others ;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

No political content, regardless of your views.

• If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remain clearly within tech and must not descend into politics
  • This covers all parts of the site, including status updates

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !