purpose of this bracket?

frozensun

Okay guys,I mean I can understand if any company made this too cool some device,but I don't really see a purpose of this bracket.

Behind it is a HDD who ofc heats a lot so puting fan here will blow the hot air towards GPU,right?

So I really don't see any benefit of installing the fan onto this bracket (marked with red arrow).

Do you?

I have one HDD behind it.

I could lower the HDD to bottom cage and the one on top will be free.

So the intake fan will blow fresh air onto this bracket and this one towards GPU.

But I'm not really sure if any benefit from it,while blowing air into the GPU.

Anyway I will install the fan and try to move one HDD to the bottom of the cage.

20210806_130438.jpg

20210806_130546.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

So installing the fan here is useless?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Its not a GPU fan, its a HDD fan. Mounting there would blow over the HDD bays to the right.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Its not a GPU fan, its a HDD fan. Mounting there would blow over the HDD bays to the right.

its a mount for cooling the GPU 

Either way,my thought is that is useless,how can something inside the case blow "fresh" air to ANYTHING!!

Dumb thing.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Either way,my thought is that is useless,how can something inside the case blow "fresh" air to ANYTHING!!

Dumb thing.

It pulls air through the hard drive area. It's not pointless. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Dumb thing.

the only way to find out if its pointless or not is to do a GPU stress test. look at the temp
then install a fan there
new GPU stress test. -> look at temps again

(you need to look at room temp for each run) 
This is the only way to know

31 minutes ago, NorKris said:

its a mount for cooling the GPU 

GPUs have their own HSFs built right onto them, they don't need additional fans and actually, having a fan in that position could end up hurting the GPU.

That position is designed to pull cool air over the HDDs and blow it back into the case for the GPU to reuse.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

GPUs have their own HSFs built right onto them, they don't need additional fans and actually, having a fan in that position could end up hurting the GPU.

That position is designed to pull cool air over the HDDs and blow it back into the case for the GPU to reuse.

Hurting the GPU? I would like to see that lol

"blow it back into the case for the GPU to reuse" ??? 
its almost like u dont understand the airflow pattern in a pc case 

I think NZXT didn't count that in the future the GPU will be bigger and bigger and weight 3 kg... 😄
This was meant for small graphics cards like for SSF 😄

But after all this case is old...so I could forget that to NZXT...

11 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Hurting the GPU? I would like to see that lol

Someone sound the personal incredulity alarm.

If the GPU is pulling air from inside the case and blowing it out of the IO bracket then you go and stick a fan in that exact spot that's pushing all the air out into the HDD bay you're going to starve the GPU of air and cause it to overheat.

11 minutes ago, NorKris said:

"blow it back into the case for the GPU to reuse" ??? 
its almost like u dont understand the airflow pattern in a pc case 

And neither do you considering the airflow pattern is entirely based on how the user mounts the fans.

If you're struggling to understand how reused air can still cool something then I'll ask a simple question, how do you think PSU's mounted with the intakes pointing towards the inside the case work? Its simple thermodynamics, as long as the ambient temp of the air being used is lower than the temp of the component you're trying to cool energy exchange will happen and heat always tries to equalize from hot to cold where it can.

It makes zero sense to blow hot air from the GPUs onto the relatively cool HDDs, it makes total sense to blow the relatively cool air from the HDDs onto the hot GPU.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If the GPU is pulling air from inside the case and blowing it out of the IO bracket then you go and stick a fan in that exact spot that's pushing all the air out into the HDD bay you're going to starve the GPU of air and cause it to overheat.

And neither do you considering the airflow pattern is entirely based on how the user mounts the fans.

just to remove all the confusion. or lack of understanding

image.png.e2dd4beb9524e8070b20cbbbaab8df94.png

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If you're struggling to understand how reused air can still cool something then I'll ask a simple question, how do you think PSU's mounted with the intakes pointing towards the inside the case work? Its simple thermodynamics, as long as the ambient temp of the air being used is lower than the temp of the component you're trying to cool energy exchange will happen and heat always tries to equalize from hot to cold where it can.

It makes zero sense to blow hot air from the GPUs onto the relatively cool HDDs, it makes total sense to blow the relatively cool air from the HDDs onto the hot GPU.

That is nonsense. Fresh air stops on those hdd:s and if you add a fan, it moves it under the gpu. Without it you will create much more easily a loop for your gpu where it just recirculates its own air when the fresh low pressure air coming in from front behind the hdd-area gets sucked out by exhaust fans.

14 minutes ago, NorKris said:

just to remove all the confusion. or lack of understanding

image.png.e2dd4beb9524e8070b20cbbbaab8df94.png

The fact you think hot air somehow escapes through the PCB and backplate tells me everything I need to know.

I'm not going to continue this discussion since I don't see it ending well.

The fact you think hot air somehow escapes through the PCB and backplate tells me everything I need to know.

I'm not going to continue this discussion since I don't see it ending well.

thats right, u don't need to continue this. u have embarrassed urself enough.
Hot air do get exhaust here and towards the front, back AND towards the MB(PCIE socket) 

image.png.66f09b2ae3749bbbbb63f9a7f199971a.png

@NorKris is right,I could feel the hot air on my elbow at the places marked with red.

img_5b915c3c52212.png?trim=1,1&bg-color=

img_5b9159b863788.png?trim=1,1&bg-color=

Recommendations on new 2 x RTX 3090 setup - Deep Learning - Deep Learning  Course Forums

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Just speaking to myself at this point, but technically a fan doesn't push air very straight by default. As you know the center of a fan houses the hub, which does not rotate, and therefore doesn't produce any airflow. The air spun around by blades want to escape radially, but are somewhat forced into a cone in the direction of the blades by the shroud.

At the end of the day, the objective of PC cooling is to remove hot air from inside the chassis to the outside, so any airflow that pushes the air around towards the exhaust is helpful. Even if it means just mixing the internal air of the case to minimize hot pockets.

An simple analogy would be whether you think that a pot of soup would cool faster if you kept it still, or whether there was a stirrer bar inside constantly mixing it.

As has been stated, its a fan mount to help with airflow through the HDD cage when its fully populated with HDDs, it also aids in directing airflow into the GPU.

I actually bought this case years back, alas i never used it and had i sent back, i went through 5 .. yes 5 of these in White, all of them had issues with the paint chipping of the side panel during removal and installation. I really liked the look of the case, clean.

If u remove the HDD cage u dont really need to use the internal fan mount. but if u intend to populate the cage it will be helpful.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So judging by exhaust air from the GPU,my side case fan should be oriented as exhaust, too?

It's oriented as intake by default.

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

As has been stated, its a fan mount to help with airflow through the HDD cage when its fully populated with HDDs, it also aids in directing airflow into the GPU.

I actually bought this case years back, alas i never used it and had i sent back, i went through 5 .. yes 5 of these in White, all of them had issues with the paint chipping of the side panel during removal and installation. I really liked the look of the case, clean.

If u remove the HDD cage u dont really need to use the internal fan mount. but if u intend to populate the cage it will be helpful.

Only the bottom cage can be removed,top one is fixed...but there is no purpose of removing buttom cage because it's almost under front facing fan.

11 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Only the bottom cage can be removed,top one is fixed...but there is no purpose of removing buttom cage because it's almost under front facing fan.

I cant remember, but ..cant u rotate the HDD cage so it 'open' ? ..i honestly cant recall if that case has that feature or not.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Btw off-topic:

U notice anything unusual around graphics card? 😄