5950x, 3090, 64GB Ram: System locks up while working/playing. Monitors shut off. System restart requires 20-30 minutes to display a video signal.

BLSmith2112

SYSTEM:

• Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite
  • AMD 5950X 
  • RTX 3090
  • 64GB Ram
  • OS/Program SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
  • Game SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 4TB
  • PSU: 850W Corsair, 1000W eVGA. 

PROBLEMS:

• While using Adobe Premiere, Cinema4D, Photoshop, or a mixture of all the above, the system will freeze, all 3 monitors will turn off, and the programs will ether crash or refuse to display any area of the application that appears to be run by the GPU. 
  • After the monitors turn back on, the PC is unusable and must be restarted. 
  • Restart can take up to 20 minutes to display the login screen.

ATTEMPTED FIXES AUGUST 24TH, 2021.

• Formatted Windows 10.
  • The PC used to be 30 feet away (including all 3 monitors [Display Port & HDMI], keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, webcam, headphones), I've since moved the tower back to my desk and all cables are now under 6ft. 
  • Users recommended that my case was not providing adequate cooling. I purchased a second case to address this. 
  • Users recommended my case be elevated above the carpeting. I purchased a stand for the second case to address this.
  • Users recommended get a new PSU as my 850W might not be enough for power spikes, I've since purchased a 1000W eVGA. 
  • I've updated BIOS for this motherboard to the latest version F35.
  • I've updated/changed the GPU drivers now 6x. Each resulting in the same problem.
  • I've run MSI Afterburner and the temperature for GPU was 47'C under Adobe Premiere load.

WHAT I AM DOING NOW: AUGUST 24TH, 2021.

• Initiated an RMA for the 3090. 
  • Inserted my old GTX 1070 back into my system 

Video Producer, Milwaukee Wisconsin.

1 minute ago, BLSmith2112 said:

System:

• Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite
  • AMD 5950X 
  • RTX 3090
  • 64GB Ram
  • SSD1: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
  • SSD2: Samsung 860 EVO 4TB

Problems:

• About once, or twice a day, my PC games will slow to a crawl (~1fps) or stop completely CTD and my two monitors will turn off. Sometimes my right monitor turns on but my left stays off for 30-60 minutes before turning back on. This occurs in PC Games (GTFO, Avorion) and 3D Animation Programs (Cinema4D). The application will crash, discord will mute both speakers and microphone, the monitors turn back on to a blank desktop and discord audio/microphone detection resumes.
  • If I'm doing light browsing for a while and turn on a 3D intensive application (Cinema4D) with an empty scene (no project loaded) the applications runs at a crawl speed (takes 5 seconds for the "file" drop down list to display). If I choose to restart my PC when it's acting like this, it will take a long time (sometimes 40 minutes!!!) to have the monitors actually show me the login screen.

Symptoms/Possible Causes:

1. My PC is 30 feet away.
    • I have a 30ft powered USB 3 cable attached to a USB3 1 to 5 connector for my periferals (mouse, keyboard, joystick, headset USB dongle, printer, scanner). 
    • I have a 30ft HDMI cable for my older (left) 1080p monitor (FHD2400 16:10 Gateway).
    • I have a 50ft Optical Displayport cable for my (right) main gaming monitor (XB241H Acer).
      • This cable gets almost too hot to the touch after a while, each end is metal (not plastic). 

Tried solutions:

1. Updated WIndows (10).
  2. Updated GPU Drivers.
  3. Updated BIOS. 

I'd love to be able to run a program in the background that would record all the system data around the time of the massive slowdowns and still keep the data in the event of a hard crash or monitor failure, but mostly I just want to diagnose this problem. I can't do overnight 3D Renders or play PC games for extended times without this issue occuring at least once a night. 

Thanks! 

This sound like overheating, does the case have good airflow? Are the GPU/CPU Cooler fans spinning? Is it on carpet?

You can use an application like MSI afterburner or open hardware monitor to see temps, i'd reccomend that.

(Overheating would be above 95 degrees assuming its air cooled)

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

It could be overheating. I will download MSI Afterburner tonight and start a render as I fully expect it to crash. The tower IS on carpeting. I will raise the tower. It's also using this BeQuiet case, which honestly probably has terrible airflow IMO. 

I downloaded MSI afterburner and my load temperature was about 48°C, and I just had another situation where both of my monitors went black, then they turned back on after about 20 seconds and then the performance was incredibly slow. When I decided to restart the system it took over 30 minutes for the monitors to turn back on. Any other ideas?

31 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Seems like the cables are to long. Test with shorter video cables.

I'm going to try and move the PC back into my bedroom. It's no small undertaking but I think that's the only real solution I can try. It prevents me from using VR, but I don't use it much anyways. Will report back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moved the PC back in my bedroom and am using all traditionally short (~5ft) cables. The monitor crashes still occur. I've tried 3 sets of video drivers at this point, working on a forth. The Afterburner software doesn't show any obvious temperature problems. Any other ideas? 

PSU?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, BLSmith2112 said:

Hi Mark. My PSU is a Corsair - RMx Series 850W.

hmm, good psu, but might actually be too low wattage , some people reported they needed 1000w psus to get their 3090 run stably.

i would give that a shot (and i already  suspected the psu to be on the low side)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Is there a way to see if the PSU demand is at or above the 850W level so I can save $150? If not I'll pick it up. I may have alluded to this as well, but after both monitors turn off and eventually turn back on, the Windows explorer acts very slow. Here's a short example: 

Can the power supply continue to effect things like this after restoring power to the monitors? 

3 hours ago, BLSmith2112 said:

Is there a way to see if the PSU demand is at or above the 850W level so I can save $150? If not I'll pick it up. I may have alluded to this as well, but after both monitors turn off and eventually turn back on, the Windows explorer acts very slow. Here's a short example: 

Can the power supply continue to effect things like this after restoring power to the monitors? 

Very Strange. I don't think that your PSU causes these issues. Since you have a pretty powerful PC it still is probably a good idea to upgrade to a 1000W PSU.

Since when do you have these issues?

Did you change something after which those issues started or did it just happen randomly?

Was your system like that from day one or did you change anything during it's lifetime (GPU for example)?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

I've had them the whole time. I have to stress the system. Usually with a large 3D model or multiple programs, it takes sometimes 1-3 hours for it to happen. I've never had it happen with light browsing. I have had it happen (rarely) playing a game where the FPS drips down from 140 to 5 and it requires a system restart. 

The only thing this system has from the legacy system is the OS SSD, which was transferred over from the old PC. This was not formatted, but it was updated with the 2H 2021 Windows update. Legacy stuff could be impacting it potentially, but if it's a hardware issue, assuming I have a 1 year warranty on every part, identifying this part before November is my goal. 

9 hours ago, BLSmith2112 said:

Is there a way to see if the PSU demand is at or above the 850W level so I can save $150? 

not really, unfortunately…

even a "kill-a-watt" isnt going to measure certain  "spikes" as they happen to quickly (afaik)

i mean if u buy a psu at amazon for example  you can just return it if it doesnt fix your issue?

And yes, its really a strange issue, but yes, it "can" be the psu causing this, literally all kinds of crazy stuff can happen when psu cant keep up or is somehow defective (i really think its just a bit too weak probably)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

To test the PSU, just stress test the CPU, ram and gpu all at the same time. Should crash fairly quickly if it's the case, since that's absolutely worst case and no where near a real world situation. Cause I have to agree with the others, I've seen the 3090 crash from anything other than a 1000w PSU. Happens a couple of times in ltt videos

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x  

downlaod hwinfo64 and measure mothebraord VRMS temps. yoru  motherboard does not have the best VRMs and if the case has bad airflow it makes the matters worse.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, Npiet1 said:

To test the PSU, just stress test the CPU, ram and gpu all at the same time. Should crash fairly quickly if it's the case, since that's absolutely worst case and no where near a real world situation. Cause I have to agree with the others, I've seen the 3090 crash from anything other than a 1000w PSU. Happens a couple of times in ltt videos

Its not that easy unfortunately, ive seen this a lot, people test with fumark + prime95, (or similar) no crash…

long back and forth, blah, blah, blah… and in the end it was still their power supply lol…

Looks like you just cant simulate certain  things (like "transient power spikes") that way, at least not reliably.

ps: the bolded is exactly the problem, youre creating a lot of load - which the psu can handle no problem, but not certain spikes, which the psu cant handle. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Actions taken:

1. @Mark Kaine Bought a new PSU

2. @Mark Kaine Bought a case stand

3. @SavageNeo Downloaded HWinfo64. Ran a test for 29 minutes while editing in Premiere Pro. Stopped the test immediately after my monitors all failed. Link to test result. Image of the motherboard metrics immediately after the monitors turned back on. I'm not entirely sure if this is what you were asking for I apologize. 

image.png.9093a6a78cdedc2f4ac702148c7d57da.png

Actions to take:

1. Disassemble previous PC case with likely better airflow than current case, assemble it with new PSU. Expected date: Monday 8/23. 

I moved the PC into a brand new, elevated case (off the carpet), and replaced the PSU with the 1000W eVGA I linked in the previous post.

The problem still occurs. 

Any other ideas? 😞

I will fill out an RMA for the 3090, and cross my fingers they will replace it in a reasonable amount of time and hope that this is the cause. Will report back in ~3 weeks... 😕