Ideal cooling setup ideas? What fans to get? Where to mount them?

TheNuzziNuzz
Go to solution Solved by TheNuzziNuzz,

@thrasher_565@YoungBlade

Installed 5 Artict p12s: 3 top exhaust + 1 rear exhaust 

In addition, my original 3 corsair fans are in the bottom as intakes.

Setup custom fan curve in afterburner, hottest GPU running about 70% fan speed.

Here is the HW info after running a render for a few hours:

image.png.63c03e474d746612c4dc86189c25eeb8.png

Here is my parts list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nuzzlet/saved/zfPBLk

Picture of my build:

Spoiler

IMG_20210721_195228.thumb.jpg.572b9611e9a5374589032a1970e2dd45.jpg

What i'd like help with is...

figuring out what to buy/where to mount it so that I can optimize the cooling of my system. Currently, I have my CPU fan, and two random fans I pulled out of an old computer exhausting upwards...and that's it.

I'd like some ideas on what fans to get, and where to mount them. I honestly don't really see a benefit in any water cooling right. Even under load, with my terrible fan setup as is, the lower 3090 runs at 70, and the upper one at 60. The Hyper212 Evo with it's single fan does a great job too, I'm thinking I should add a second fan to the other side?

Given these temps, my cooling setup doesn't feel like to me that water cooling would really make sense financially. I'm open to the ideas, but It would need to make a financially justifiable difference for me to jump on it just yet given how much I just spent on this system right now.

Thanks guys! 

Side Note:

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 5950x, so a CPU AIO may be in the cards for me....but I think if I'm going to go that route i'm going to do a whole custom loop - so i'd rather optimize what I have right now on a budget and save up to do something crazy later.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Computers r fun

Lmfao why the hell do you have a board for heavy overclocking when its clear that you are not gonna oc at all xD

Such a massive waste of money xD

B550 tomahawk would be a better pick but ah well i guess when its time to sell your system you can sell it for abit higher cause overclocking mobo

If you dont give a crap about overclocking then just buy a cheap dual tower cooler like the gelid phantom or fuma 2

If you actually care about ocing (which i highly doubt) go for a liquid freezer 360

46 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

figuring out what to buy/where to mount it so that I can optimize the cooling of my system. Currently, I have my CPU fan, and two random fans I pulled out of an old computer exhausting upwards...and that's it.

Generally, the side and bottoms works as an intake and back and top works as exhaust

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

13 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Lmfao why the hell do you have a board for heavy overclocking when its clear that you are not gonna oc at all xD

Such a massive waste of money xD

B550 tomahawk would be a better pick but ah well i guess when its time to sell your system you can sell it for abit higher cause overclocking mobo

If you dont give a crap about overclocking then just buy a cheap dual tower cooler like the gelid phantom or fuma 2

If you actually care about ocing (which i highly doubt) go for a liquid freezer 360

Honestly, i had another B board picked out I got a great deal on - but the issue I found is that most of the boards don't support duel GPUs @ 8x, or they are missing many other features. I am overclocked a little bit, but I this is definitely worth considering.

If I Liquid Freezer  360 would legitimately make a substantial performance difference when overclocking I'd do that....But i'm worried by mounting it on top the heat from the 3090s are going to make it useless. Maybe it will fit on the bottom?

I was thinking it would be better to do three of the finest best fans on the top and the power from those would be plenty? 

But if i'm going to do WC I may just end up doing the GPUs too - I just don't feel like i'm going to get any performance out of it. 

Computers r fun

11 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Honestly, i had another B board picked out I got a great deal on - but the issue I found is that most of the boards don't support duel GPUs @ 8x, or they are missing many other features. I am overclocked a little bit, but I this is definitely worth considering.

If I Liquid Freezer  360 would legitimately make a substantial performance difference when overclocking I'd do that....But i'm worried by mounting it on top the heat from the 3090s are going to make it useless. Maybe it will fit on the bottom?

I was thinking it would be better to do three of the finest best fans on the top and the power from those would be plenty? 

But if i'm going to do WC I may just end up doing the GPUs too - I just don't feel like i'm going to get any performance out of it. 

i dont get it you spend $6000 to sli 2 gpus and cheap out on everything els....just dose not make sense. you going to probably thermal throttle and kill you gpus in a few years...sli is not new and these problems have been talked about long time ago...

you do you thow.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i dont get it you spend $6000 to sli 2 gpus and cheap out on everything els....just dose not make sense. you going to probably thermal throttle and kill you gpus in a few years...sli is not new and these problems have been talked about long time ago...

you do you thow.

GPUs as is are running @ 80 degrees top. They aren't thermal throttling. 

If it's half the money for 4% less performance, it's not worth it because that subtle difference may make a 2 degree difference. 

Computers r fun

18 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

GPUs as is are running @ 80 degrees top. They aren't thermal throttling. 

If it's half the money for 4% less performance, it's not worth it because that subtle difference may make a 2 degree difference. 

is that 80 degree the bottom gpu or the top? the only air the top gpu gets is from the bottom gpu. the top back fan is choked off by the 8 inch gap.

w/e im not here to argue.

i dont get it you have the top wattage gpus, slied in a case that's not grate for air flow only 2 top fans. something sound funny.

is your room aced? or the panels off the case?

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

is that 80 degree the bottom gpu or the top? the only air the top gpu gets is from the bottom gpu. the top back fan is choked off by the 8 inch gap.

w/e im not here to argue.

i dont get it you have the top wattage gpus, slied in a case that's not grate for air flow only 2 top fans. something sound funny.

is your room aced? or the panels off the case?

Room is ~5 of 20 degrease. Top card gets to be 80 Deg, bottom gets to 70 while under load.

Removing the case panels causes the GPUs to drop another 10 degrese.

I bought this case before I bought these GPUs...I didn't plan on having two it's just how it worked out with my animation business's needs growing faster than I anticipated. I know the two fans arn't enough...but I have no idea what to do to make this setup optimal. Maybe just moving the two exhaust fans I have as intakes at the bottom of the case blowing into the GPUs will make a great improvment? I'll try that now.

Computers r fun

1 hour ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Room is ~5 of 20 degrease. Top card gets to be 80 Deg, bottom gets to 70 while under load.

I bought this case before I bought these GPUs...I didn't plan on having two it's just how it worked out with my animation business's needs growing faster than I anticipated. I know the two fans arn't enough...but I have no idea what to do to make this setup optimal. Maybe just moving the two exhaust fans I have as intakes at the bottom of the case blowing into the GPUs will make a great improvment? I'll try that now.

Just buy more fans. Add three intakes on bottom. Could even get the Arctic p12 pwm pst 5-pack and put 3x intake bottom, 1x intake low side, 3x exhaust on top.

For running cards in SLI, your best setups are either a side intake or water cooling. I know tempered glass looks cool, but as you noted, your GPU temps drop dramatically when the side panel is off. Those mid-2000s cases with a side intake fan were made for GPU cooling in part because SLI was more common.

Since your case is on decent-sized legs, you could try bottom-to-top airflow to assist those blow-through coolers. Put some good quality fans on the bottom for intake and on top for exhaust.

I like air coolers, but in this case, I would go with an AIO for the CPU, top mounted for exhaust. Yes, it'll be taking in pre-heated air from the graphics cards, but the dual 3090s are what really need the cooling.

I'm going to assume that the case takes 120mm, but if it does take 140mm you can go with the "14" varients instead of the "12" ones.

If you want to go for quality fans, which for your set-up, I would. Get Noctua. NF-F12 would be a good option. Yes, they're pricy, but "Why did you go with Noctua?" said no one ever.

The cheapest good quality fans are probably Arctic P12, which are available in a 5 pack on Amazon for just $31.

8 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

well up to you imo i would get a different mb and try and get a inch gap between the gpus. maybe animations not as demanding as gaming is? i just hate to see gpus die in that way haha even thow there replaceable and its not my money🤔

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

well up to you imo i would get a different mb and try and get a inch gap between the gpus. maybe animations not as demanding as gaming is? i just hate to see gpus die in that way haha even thow there replaceable and its not my money🤔

Only MB I found that is that way is the Godlike, which is $1,000. At that point I'd rather spend the money on water cooling.

And, i'm not planning on killing these. 80 Degreese is the highest i'd ever be even remotely okay with - and to be clear, i'm going to keep trying to things to get the temps down.

Also - The Godlike motherboard doesn't support 3 way SLI - which I may do at some point....obviously with watercooling.

Computers r fun

3 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

For running cards in SLI, your best setups are either a side intake or water cooling. I know tempered glass looks cool, but as you noted, your GPU temps drop dramatically when the side panel is off. Those mid-2000s cases with a side intake fan were made for GPU cooling in part because SLI was more common.

Since your case is on decent-sized legs, you could try bottom-to-top airflow to assist those blow-through coolers. Put some good quality fans on the bottom for intake and on top for exhaust.

I like air coolers, but in this case, I would go with an AIO for the CPU, top mounted for exhaust. Yes, it'll be taking in pre-heated air from the graphics cards, but the dual 3090s are what really need the cooling.

I'm going to assume that the case takes 120mm, but if it does take 140mm you can go with the "14" varients instead of the "12" ones.

If you want to go for quality fans, which for your set-up, I would. Get Noctua. NF-F12 would be a good option. Yes, they're pricy, but "Why did you go with Noctua?" said no one ever.

The cheapest good quality fans are probably Arctic P12, which are available in a 5 pack on Amazon for just $31.

I ordered 5 Arctic p12s last night.

I barely tax the CPU, even more rarely at the same time as the GPU... With my setup as it is now, my CPU temps don't rise more than 1 Deg when my CPU's are under load & get hot.

I have these cheapo coolermaster fans, and I put three of them at the bottom as intakes and i'm running 72 Deg and 66 Deg on the cards. So I think once I replace them with the p12's this is going to work great.

My case can support duel 140s or tripple 120s, and I think tripple 120s on the top + bottom is going to be better.

Thank you!

Computers r fun

8 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Only MB I found that is that way is the Godlike, which is $1,000. At that point I'd rather spend the money on water cooling.

And, i'm not planning on killing these. 80 Degreese is the highest i'd ever be even remotely okay with - and to be clear, i'm going to keep trying to things to get the temps down.

Also - The Godlike motherboard doesn't support 3 way SLI - which I may do at some point....obviously with watercooling.

i looked it up and your right only the goldlike can have an 4 slot spacing... and water cooling might be cheaper i guess. i no that sli is dead and that just comforters it.

is there a big difference using 2 gpus for your work? i didn't even see an sli bridge on the gpus?

i mean you could get a gpu mount and mount the other gpu els were with a pcie extension but were and how well would it be cooled in that case is another question.  seems like wc would be the way to go down the road.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

i looked it up and your right only the goldlike can have an 4 slot spacing... and water cooling might be cheaper i guess. i no that sli is dead and that just comforters it.

is there a big difference using 2 gpus for your work? i didn't even see an sli bridge on the gpus?

i mean you could get a gpu mount and mount the other gpu els were with a pcie extension but were and how well would it be cooled in that case is another question.  seems like wc would be the way to go down the road.

Duel GPU's cut my render time in half. NVLink Bridge is $80 and it's only effect is adding together the VRAM of both cards, so instead of 24 I would have 48gb of vram. 24 is plenty for everything I do right now.

My softwares leverage duel GPUs 100%. Feeling a little bit of buyers remorse on my $450 motherboard, but checkout this attached animation I just made with my mounting ideas. I have a friend who works with metal, so maybe I can make some kind of an angled mounting system that would give both GPUs intake airflow from the bottom of the case and keep the exhaust seperate.

EKWB says it's going to be over $1,500 to watercool both 3090s and my CPU...The godlike would be cheaper, and give me room to add more GPUs....if I so dare - sadly Ryzen 5 doesn't have enough PCIe lanes to really have that make sense....that's probably the only reason I havn't returned my mobo for the godlike.

Computers r fun

@YoungBlade@Jeppes@Freakwise@thrasher_565

After some testing, and testing with old crappy corsair fans on the bottom as intake, with two fans on the top for exhaust, I realized that the cards are runner only 2-3 degrese cooler under short loads (so still ~80 deg) however the card's built-in fans are not ramping up. Under longer loads, the cards fans start to kick in and the temps seem to drop even farther - sometimes as much as 10 deg (~70 deg on hottest card)

Excited for when the p12s come in and I can load this case with fans.

Thank you guys for the help!

Computers r fun

39 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Duel GPU's cut my render time in half. NVLink Bridge is $80 and it's only effect is adding together the VRAM of both cards, so instead of 24 I would have 48gb of vram. 24 is plenty for everything I do right now.

My softwares leverage duel GPUs 100%. Feeling a little bit of buyers remorse on my $450 motherboard, but checkout this attached animation I just made with my mounting ideas. I have a friend who works with metal, so maybe I can make some kind of an angled mounting system that would give both GPUs intake airflow from the bottom of the case and keep the exhaust seperate.

EKWB says it's going to be over $1,500 to watercool both 3090s and my CPU...The godlike would be cheaper, and give me room to add more GPUs....if I so dare - sadly Ryzen 5 doesn't have enough PCIe lanes to really have that make sense....that's probably the only reason I havn't returned my mobo for the godlike.

oh that's a good idea hope you can make it work.

• 2 weeks later...

@thrasher_565@YoungBlade

Installed 5 Artict p12s: 3 top exhaust + 1 rear exhaust 

In addition, my original 3 corsair fans are in the bottom as intakes.

Setup custom fan curve in afterburner, hottest GPU running about 70% fan speed.

Here is the HW info after running a render for a few hours:

image.png.63c03e474d746612c4dc86189c25eeb8.png

Computers r fun