Do you cover your webcam when it isn't in use?

AustinTheIntern

Just wanted to see who actually did.

Why do you do so if you do?

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Yup I'd rather not take any chances.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I have it turned to the wall right now. I should also disconnect my headset, and microphone aswell when I go to sleep.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Nope. You can watch me sleep all you want, NSA :D

Besides, why on earth would they be stalking ME?

My webcam has a light on it to tell me when it's recording, so that's always useful 

tin_foil_hat.gif

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

If they can stalk me with mine all the more power to them seeing it is unplugged in my box of spare parts except when i need it.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

Nope. You can watch me sleep all you want, NSA :D

Besides, why on earth would they be stalking ME?

My webcam has a light on it to tell me when it's recording, so that's always useful 

there is hacks taht can turn off the light. Also it not just NSA pedo's and (for a lack of better terms) blackmailers often like to use webcam to get footage. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

there is hacks taht can turn off the light. Also it not just NSA pedo's and (for a lack of better terms) blackmailers often like to use webcam to get footage. 

Meh :P

Only one of my laptops has a webcam. And because that one is closed when I don't use the laptop, I don't see a point.

webcams were invented only to cyber so its never covered and im always naked in front of my PC just like now so I hope someone is looking. 

Meh :P

thanks to this guy https://twitter.com/crimefighterguy who goes around all my area's schools to teach kids about it and make stupid people "aware" of these issues. 

Spoiler

I should, but i don't.

But i have it disabled in the BIOS and i disabled the kernel module as well.

Signatures are stupid.

Don't even have a webcam, lol. I need one though.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I don't cover it with tape, I just disable it and the microphone in the device manager. Reason I use VPNs and proxies etc. to Pentest my own websites I make and I've encountered proxies that enable the webcam but when I'm using those types of things I usually just use Kali Linux now.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

If I had a webcam, I probably would. Where I would put one has a direct view to where I get dressed ^_^ Not that it's a bad thing *winky face*

To be honest, if someone went through all the trouble of accessing my webcam just to see what I'm up to, not gunna lie, I'd be slightly flattered, but I got nothing to hide.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I don't have a webcam.

But if I did, no I wouldn't. No-one is going to secretly tap into it and watch me and even if they did I have no particular reason to care. I'm quite certain employees of the NSA would have better things to do than watch a young man play video games or jack off... and if they don't, hey - at least I'll be providing some entertainment!

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

lol..I thought I was the only one that did this

mine is angled up facing the ceiling

I also check out my windows regularly, just in case. 

you know

for anything

cause you never know

to be safe.

Error: 410

My only webcam is he one on the tablet, which is in quite active use in school (though I never use the webcam). I know I should cover it, but haven't done so. If I could've figured out a way to use my Sony HDR-CX260VE as a webcam on my desktop, that would not be necessary due to built-in lens hood closing whenever the camera is turned off.

Well... Doesn't matter anymore as there's no privacy anymore anyway. I mean does covering a webcam help when there's insane amount of security cameras in public places and NSA can use them all no problem? They all know everything about me anyway (even more than I know about myself), so can't do jack sh*t about it.

Oh and those saying: If you haven't done anything wrong you shouldn't have anything to hide, I respect your opinion, but that's not an excuse for totally ruining everyone's privacy.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I usually disconnect it as soon as I'm done with it, but no so much for the paranoia factor, I just don't want unnecessary cables in the back of the pc. It's clustered enough with the things I always use.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |