5600X vs 11600K Thoughts?

What I've found thus far:

11600K mildly out performs 5600X

Current pricing puts the i5 $20 cheaper.

Z590 motherboard availability is low and options are scarce, putting the pricing around $40 higher on average than its A520 counterpart.

It seems like it will boil down to additional features such as:

m.2 support, PCIE 4.0 vs 3.0 support, built in WiFi, and thermals.

The 11600K runs hotter (albeit the difference is slimmer than 11900K vs 5900X).

Even with all that factored in, it comes down to within a few dollars of each other, unless there's something I'm missing.

In conclusion the 5600X is the superior option if the lower average temperature will yield a longer lifespan from the motherboard, and if greater motherboard availability will yield better repair/replacement options down the road. However, I doubt it seeing as I have a 4790K (an extremely common socket at the time of purchase) and motherboard replacement options are far and few between.

I've purchased a 11600K and was looking for reasons to exchange it (I haven't picked it up at the store yet) for a 5600X, but I'm falling short. Anyone care to chime in on details I'm missing?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chances of you noticing a difference between the two if you're just gaming is next to none. Personally I'd go with the Intel chip as I find AMD chips a pain to work with.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Chances of you noticing a difference between the two if you're just gaming is next to none. Personally I'd go with the Intel chip as I find AMD chips a pain to work with.

What difficulties do you find yourself running into with AMD processors?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5600x is a bit better and $20 is chump change

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Idk but I'm Personally like AMD CPUs More... PGA slot is easier to work with, Pin are in CPUs instead of Board, It sound crazy but pin in the Board is Harder to fixed if some pin bended, And the pin is really-really Small, So if the board pin broken I need to Replace it the board Unlike AMD the pin are on CPU, And still painful to fix. But it's easier means you didn't have to replace anything

Also Z590 is a bit overpriced imo, Instead of getting a Ryzen 5 5600x with B550 or even A520

But the main selling point of this CPU is 7nm means it's really-really energy efficient. And even in some cases Ryzen 5 5600x is Beating the i9 10900k alone...

In my opinion AMD have been innovating a lot about their product, From a Company that is predicted to bankrupt in 2020, From a  Company that is really successful with their Ryzen lineup

But if those really matter to you, It's just up to you whether 7nm goodness matter much to you, But If the performance is same to each other I don't think that it really matter to you

Hello there... I'm both speedrunner and tech nerd. But not professional...

steam pcpartpicker.com speedrun.com

For gaming it really doesn't matter they perform essentially the same. You won't notice any difference.

Prices are basically the same if you take motherboards into account. 11600K is cheaper than the 5600x but z590 boards are a bit more expensive than x570. 

Biggest plus I see in this comparison is that the 11600K has integrated graphics which can be useful if your main GPU has problems or stuff like that.

23 minutes ago, JLCitadel said:

Z590 motherboard availability is low and options are scarce, putting the pricing around $40 higher on average than its A520 counterpart.

why are you comparing z590 to a520?

23 minutes ago, JLCitadel said:

PCIE 4.0 vs 3.0

Realistically doesn't make any difference outside of storage.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

1 minute ago, Montana16 said:

For gaming it really doesn't matter they perform essentially the same. You won't notice any difference.

Prices are basically the same if you take motherboards into account. 11600K is cheaper than the 5600x but z590 boards are a bit more expensive than x570. 

Biggest plus I see in this comparison is that the 11600K has integrated graphics which can be useful if your main GPU has problems or stuff like that.

why are you comparing z590 to a520?

Realistically doesn't make any difference outside of storage.

I'm not well read up on motherboard lineups at the moment and got confused. Right now I'm trying to do research on the B550 vs X570 offerings and prices to see if there's some features here I might like that would incentivize switching to AMD.

11 minutes ago, JLCitadel said:

I'm not well read up on motherboard lineups at the moment and got confused. Right now I'm trying to do research on the B550 vs X570 offerings and prices to see if there's some features here I might like that would incentivize switching to AMD.

Go with b550 as they are more recent and basically give you everything you need just cost less. I think the main difference is it doesn't support crossfire or sli but most people don't sure those now anyways and nvidia had basically made it rather difficult to use now anyways with most of their gpus not supporting sli anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Go with b550 as they are more recent and basically give you everything you need just cost less. I think the main difference is it doesn't support crossfire or sli but most people don't sure those now anyways and nvidia had basically made it rather difficult to use now anyways with most of their gpus not supporting sli anymore. 

Why does it say the B550 will need a Bios update for a 5600X?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $448.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-03 18:59 EDT-0400

Just now, JLCitadel said:

Well that depends. If the b550 motherboard was manufactured before the release of the bios that supports ryzen 5000 then it will need a bios update. If it was manufactured after the bios was released then it will have that updated bios. If you buy one new there is a pretty good chance that you won't need to worry about that but I do believe there are some that will advertise ryzen 5000 ready or something along those lines to show that they come with the updated bios. 

With the Strix B550 as long as the board was made in 2021 it should work out of the box.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

With the Strix B550 as long as the board was made in 2021 it should work out of the box.

I don't see how Strix is relevant here? I linked the board of consideration above. 

5 minutes ago, JLCitadel said:

I don't see how Strix is relevant here? I linked the board of consideration above. 

18 minutes ago, JLCitadel said:

Because I cant speak for other boards, only the one I have.

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Because I cant speak for other boards, only the one I have.

I see, thank you for chiming in. I'd be curious to see if anyone here has experience updating the BIOS without using a CPU that already works on the motherboard.

5 minutes ago, JLCitadel said:

The Asus TUF is able to update bios without a CPU.

image.png.ea27931532f18aa8c82e9e7593ceadb9.png

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1038568/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

The Asus TUF is able to update bios without a CPU.

image.png.ea27931532f18aa8c82e9e7593ceadb9.png

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1038568/

Thank you. I'm glad to know this is the case.

4 minutes ago, JLCitadel said:

Thank you. I'm glad to know this is the case.

Some people have had issues getting the update to work. When I did it (on my MSI board) all I had plugged in were the 24 pin and 8 pin cables. No CPU, no ram, no storage and it worked great for me. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Some people have had issues getting the update to work. When I did it (on my MSI board) all I had plugged in were the 24 pin and 8 pin cables. No CPU, no ram, no storage and it worked great for me. 

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tips.

1 hour ago, JLCitadel said:

What difficulties do you find yourself running into with AMD processors?

Pulling out of the socket when you change coolers, possible pin damage on installation or from mishandling, RAM compatibility issues (though this was more-so with earlier generations). Personally I'd just go Intel, and know that whatever I throw in the machine will work regardless of what it is.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Normally I would say the same thing. This AMD rig is just as stable as an Intel rig. It’s effing sweet. I tried to tell people but no one cares, and everyone knows better.

• 2 weeks later...

Intel has a history of painless building and stability . Higher clock speeds and again, stability 👍😁

On 7/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, freeagent said:

Normally I would say the same thing. This AMD rig is just as stable as an Intel rig. It’s effing sweet. I tried to tell people but no one cares, and everyone knows better.

you know, that might be for your system, my ryzen system has been a pita, mainly because it took msi about 2 years to release a BIOS that doesnt completely suck for ryzen 3000, and even the 2200g i had was "temperamental"… could oc it higher with igpu enabled than when i had it disabled because ive been using a dgpu… it doesnt even make sense haha. lets not mention the random, but frequent mysterious freezes, without  any error messages or logs whatsoever, nope lets not mention how frustrating that was for over 2 years to deal with…  

i mean, im glad its fixed now (seemingly) but you gotta understand  some people  would not deal with this and rather go with something that works. And in my impression AMD support was abysmal during that whole rather lengthy "maturing process" (assuming things are actually  better now) 

ps: next cpu is most likely intel (im just debating how many atoms the "gate" should have, meaning probably 7nm lol) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Also keep in mind the Gigabyte Z590 UD is a great budget board. Usually inexpensive, but can handle even an overclocked 11900k.

EDIT: well scratch that, last week they were like $120

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

you know, that might be for your system, my ryzen system has been a pita, mainly because it took msi about 2 years to release a BIOS that doesnt completely suck for ryzen 3000, and even the 2200g i had was "temperamental"…

That right there is why I think MSI sucks. I will never buy anything from them. I like Asus myself.. I also had a good experience with Assrock and Giga..

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

That right there is why I think MSI sucks. I will never buy anything from them. I like Asus myself.. I also had a good experience with Assrock.

had terrible experiences with ASUS myself. I'm a Gigabyte fan for the most part.

Recently a buddy on another forum sent his motherboard in for RMA. He was happy to hear it was being sent back resolved within a few days. No other communication.

He received the same motherboard with a "we're sorry low stock can't fix it" note and absolutely no resolution. Thanks a lot, ASUS.

Oh and he had to pay for shipping. For nothing.