Windows 11 or Linux?

Dragonwinged

Windows 11 or switching to linux?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. will you be switching to windows 11 or start using a Linux Distro?

• windows 11
    • Linux (please specify)

I voted Windows 11 because I'm already on it and because of the games I play otherwise it would have been a vote for Linux and Ubuntu as the OS of choice!

Gentoo supremacy!

learn linux, over time it will become harder and harder to switch, jump in the deep end now and get away from windows 11

Other, both

I have a dual-boot setup with Zorin and Windows 11.

edit

Adding an edit to this since I switched from Zorin to Linux Mint. Still have Windows 11 running. My ThinkPad's CPU isn't officially supported on Windows 11, but it's running fine for now, so I'm just going to continue 11 until it doesn't.

I'm sure most people will stick with Windows 10 instead jumping to Win11 when it comes out. I'm a Linux Guy so...

17 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm sure most people will stick with Windows 10 instead jumping to Win11 when it comes out. I'm a Linux Guy so...

Agreed. Windows 11 needs a bit more time to well....... mature. 

Im a Mac/Windows guy myself. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 3 weeks later...

i am a windows 10 user but as an aspiring 14yo developer i got extremely annoyed with win10 so i was waiting fr the win11 announcement hopefully fr microsoft to answer my prayers but they disappointed me yet again. I'm switching to Ubuntu or Manjaro now

idk y i didnt use linux earlier

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 5:44 AM, Dragonwinged said:

Many have expressed that they will refuse to upgrade, instead opting for a Linux Distro instead.

Why not BSD?

Write in C.

2 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Why not BSD?

Can you game on BSD? Because while its not perfect, you can game on Linux, depending on the game and hardware. 

Yes, you can. But if gaming is your primary goal, Windows is still the least unacceptable choice.

Write in C.

1 minute ago, Dat Guy said:

Yes, you can. But if gaming is your primary goal, Windows is still the least unacceptable choice.

Not if Microsoft keeps screwing up. Thats the point of this thread. Many people dont like what Microsoft is doing to Windows. Thats why everyone is trying Linux. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Not if Microsoft keeps screwing up.

I've been running Windows 11 for a while, and although I can see that it still lacks quite some maturity, Windows still has the widest range of available games.

Of course there's Wine to work around this fact - which runs well enough on FreeBSD and other systems.

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats why everyone is trying Linux.

No single operating system - except (maybe) ReactOS - was ever made to replace Windows. All attempts to do so will fail. Granted, some will fail harder than others.

That said, Linux was made to replace Unix/BSD which was not free in 1991 and it even failed at that (Unix and BSD still exist).

If you want to use "something like Windows", use Windows. If you don't want to use "something like Windows", don't expect to be able to recreate your Windows workflows anywhere else.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Windows still has the widest range of available games.

No one is debating that. But Windows 11 is very unpolished and shouldn't have been released in this state. Microsoft fucked the launch with it arbitrary system requirements. They also haven't been 100% clear with those requirements. I can tell you with all the stuff I have been reading, Ill be sticking on Windows 10 for the foreseeable future. It took Microsoft quite a while to fix the issues with Windows 10, so I expect just as long with Windows 11. 

3 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

f you want to use "something like Windows", use Windows. If you don't want to use "something like Windows", don't expect to be able to recreate your Windows workflows anywhere else.

Any OS can replace Windows. Its about what you need to do. I personally found I like MacOS better than Windows. Of course I still have a Windows machine for gaming. But the fact is, if people are not happy with Windows 11, then they will find the nearest alternative. POPOS and Ubuntu make Linux gaming some what easier. Its NOT perfect which is why Im still using Windows 10. But for some they rather deal with the Linux quarks than give Microsoft their time or money. The fact is with Valves support and the Linux community as a whole, Linux in a few more years might be just as good or at least good enough for the average gamer. You never know what the future might hold. Maybe Microsoft will start caring about what their users actually want. 

46 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

if people are not happy with Windows 11, then they will find the nearest alternative.

Which is not Linux.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Which is not Linux.

Ive used Linux. It just takes adjustments to make it work. MacOS is likely the closes alternative but not most are not going to want to pay the Apple tax. SO that makes Linux the best closes candidate. Its closer than anything else. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

MacOS is likely the closes alternative

See, the wording alone is a part of the problem. "x is an alternative to y" is - to some extent - true for all possible values for "x" and "y".

Windows is an alternative to z/OS. iOS is an alternative to Linux. AIX is an alternative to TempleOS.

It all depends on what you want to achieve.

Write in C.

7 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

See, the wording alone is a part of the problem. "x is an alternative to y" is - to some extent - true for all possible values for "x" and "y".

Windows is an alternative to z/OS. iOS is an alternative to Linux. AIX is an alternative to TempleOS.

It all depends on what you want to achieve.

Ive used Windows since Windows 3.11, Ive used Linux in some capacity for a few years, I have used MacOS for the better part of a year. I have used ChromeOS, iOS and Android. For ease of use MacOS is the closest, for gaming Linux is probably going to be the closes, as MacOS doesnt support 32bit software anymore. Plus Linux runs on about anything that will run Windows including supporting high end GPU's. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Its about what you need to do.

As I stated in a previous post. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

for gaming Linux is probably going to be the closes

Or FreeBSD, as shown above. It even outperforms Linux in some cases. Performance is important for gaming, they say.

Write in C.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:18 AM, danomicar said:

Unless huge strides can be made for gaming on Linux, looks like most people will be handing over their data to Microsoft. 😖

honestly i tried proton and i'm impressed af. it works very well.

i installed pop os at first and had a lot of bugs/issues, but now ubuntu works very well after instilling nvidia drivers and switching to xorg

I've been trying different distros in VMs over the past month.  I'm most impressed with Manjaro and Kubuntu.  I even bought a second m.2 to install either on.  I can't really try games in the VMs because of lack of GPU passthrough in Windows, so the second drive is the next logical step.  I'll set up a dual boot and give both distros a good run out.  I'll be very impressed if they can pick up and use my Steam game HDD without any hassle.

I tried Win 11 in VM as well and I absolutely hate it.  I hate it even more since Microsoft basically shut down EdgeDeflector and Mozilla's default browser workarounds.  This type of behavior can only be responded to by closing your wallet and turning off the data spigot and never dealing with Microsoft again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 7:57 AM, Vicarian said:

I've been trying different distros in VMs over the past month.  I'm most impressed with Manjaro and Kubuntu.  I even bought a second m.2 to install either on.  I can't really try games in the VMs because of lack of GPU passthrough in Windows, so the second drive is the next logical step.  I'll set up a dual boot and give both distros a good run out.  I'll be very impressed if they can pick up and use my Steam game HDD without any hassle.

I tried Win 11 in VM as well and I absolutely hate it.  I hate it even more since Microsoft basically shut down EdgeDeflector and Mozilla's default browser workarounds.  This type of behavior can only be responded to by closing your wallet and turning off the data spigot and never dealing with Microsoft again.

The only way to use 11 is by going to Team OS and getting a slim mod of it with all the crap removed. That's like 5 GB of crap removed from the image. I use that in a VM with my GPU pass through setup on top of Linux. I didn't like 10 for the janky UI it had (nor 8). But the recent StartAllBack UI fixer to restore the classic Windows UI for the most part, makes the OS remotely usable in my opinion. That, and I tweaked the services to bring the process load to under 40 processes (and using only 800 MB of ram). Also as an extra measure, I never let the VM connect to the internet so MS can't mess with my Windows install.  Finally, I use snapshots just to be safe.

And you know what I use the VM for? Just two things. Trainer/memory mod for a couple of games. Otherwise, I'd just play the games on Linux. That's all. lol

MX-21_x64 Wildflower October 20  2021

https://mxlinux.org/

I've been running one flavor of Linux or another since about 1996 or 1997.  There are Windows machines in my home, a couple MacBook Pros, an Amazon thing, and a Chrome thing, as well as several phones.  My time is spent on the Linux box.

On 11/28/2021 at 5:44 AM, D-reaper said:

The only way to use 11 is by going to Team OS and getting a slim mod of it with all the crap removed. That's like 5 GB of crap removed from the image. I use that in a VM with my GPU pass through setup on top of Linux. I didn't like 10 for the janky UI it had (nor 8). But the recent StartAllBack UI fixer to restore the classic Windows UI for the most part, makes the OS remotely usable in my opinion. That, and I tweaked the services to bring the process load to under 40 processes (and using only 800 MB of ram). Also as an extra measure, I never let the VM connect to the internet so MS can't mess with my Windows install.  Finally, I use snapshots just to be safe.

And you know what I use the VM for? Just two things. Trainer/memory mod for a couple of games. Otherwise, I'd just play the games on Linux. That's all. lol

I don't mean to be argumentive, but you can easily strip out all the cruft.  Start by installing Win11 Pro, so that you have group policy editor.  Either before or after installing, fire up whichever terminal you prefer, and invoke DISM.  You can remove wallet, store, Xbox, voice, maps, and a lot of other cruft right here.

For telemetry, use group policy editor to disable it.  You can use GP editor to turn off various other functions, as well.  https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-disable-windows-10-telemetry/

Finally, visit https://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/ and follow his guide to turn off unneeded services.  

This took a couple hours the first time I walked through it.  I've shaved that to about 1/2 hour in subsequent installs.

2 hours ago, Runaway1956 said:

I don't mean to be argumentive, but you can easily strip out all the cruft.  Start by installing Win11 Pro, so that you have group policy editor.  Either before or after installing, fire up whichever terminal you prefer, and invoke DISM.  You can remove wallet, store, Xbox, voice, maps, and a lot of other cruft right here.

For telemetry, use group policy editor to disable it.  You can use GP editor to turn off various other functions, as well.  https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-disable-windows-10-telemetry/

Finally, visit https://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/ and follow his guide to turn off unneeded services.  

This took a couple hours the first time I walked through it.  I've shaved that to about 1/2 hour in subsequent installs.

Yeah... I don't care to do stuff like that anymore. For me, it's just better to download a Windows mod from Team OS with all the crap removed.