Windows 11 or Linux?

Dragonwinged

Windows 11 or switching to linux?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. will you be switching to windows 11 or start using a Linux Distro?

• windows 11
    • Linux (please specify)

I don't have a tpm or secure boot and I got windows 11 because I used rufues usb drive maker for the windows 11 install and I used the one that says mbr or uefi but I used the mbr and I made the windows 11 install without the tpm and secure boot on my pc the spec is fx8300 32 gb ddr3 2 tb hdd 240 ssd and a rtx 2080 ti wifi card pcie and I have a gtx 1080 ti on sli and I got windows 11

On 6/29/2021 at 5:55 AM, Kawaii_Desu said:

As much as I love Linux and have used it as my main OS for years.  its just not an option for me anymore because of anti-cheat software.  The only way I could go back to using Linux as my main OS would be to give up gaming with my friends and I'm just not willing to do that.

I've been using the windows 11 dev preview all day since it came out and I think its great.  However I won't be doing anything "important" on it.  Anything important I keep a USB stick with linux on it boot to that, take care of the important things I need to do and then boot back to windows.

its quite funny, but i understand. Will there ever be a "windows" in the future that will be professional and safe ? Probably no or maybe for about 50 years 😉

I completely got rid of windows after a week when they announced windows 11. Im using Arch Linux with KDE, Zen Kernel. Switched my server to ubuntu-server (where i host airsonic, jellyfin, netdata, filebrowser and qbittorrent). replace premiere pro with kdenlive (this video editor is real good), for photoshop, i use https://github.com/Gictorbit/photoshopCClinux , works fine. I spend my time mostly programming (Python, Java, HTML, CSS). reason i dont prefer any other distro is because of AUR (and pacman and yay). nvidia's proprietary drivers for my gtx 1650 super works fine (have not experienced a bug for a while)

hey! i know to use a computer

If there were only those two systems, I'd take ten Windows 11s before opting for one Linux.

Luckily, there are not.

Write in C.

24 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

If there were only those two systems, I'd take ten Windows 11s before opting for one Linux.

Luckily, there are not.

That's up to you. But don't make others (like me) seem like they made a bad choice if what they use works for them.

1 minute ago, Dat Guy said:

I don't. All I did was answer the question. 🙂

Okay. Well, now you know that Linux can be a viable option; even for people who play (Windows) games casually.

Requiring an Microsoft Account just use an OS is outright stupid. Luckily with Win10 I can just pull the Ethernet Cable and then install. I wonder if this is still the case with Windows 11?

16 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Requiring an Microsoft Account just use an OS is outright stupid. Luckily with Win10 I can just pull the Ethernet Cable and then install. I wonder if this is still the case with Windows 11?

There's more hoops for 11 home edition; it's possible. Thankfully, all the Team OS lite mods of 11 use the pro version.

38 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Craft Computing showed a method to get around it. Though who knows if Microsoft will patch It or if they have patched it since that video went live. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Craft Computing showed a method to get around it. Though who knows if Microsoft will patch It or if they have patched it since that video went live. 

Bootable flash stick or something?

Just now, whm1974 said:

Nah, you can disconnect your internet and it will let you create a local account. 

Or in my friend's case, just type admin as user and password and it will create a local account instead. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Yeah its going thru the full reinstall, not an upgrade thru Windows update. I dont recall exactly what he did. 

6 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Nah, you can disconnect your internet and it will let you create a local account. 

Or in my friend's case, just type admin as user and password and it will create a local account instead. 

Didn't know about the using admin as user and password. But forgotten about the disconnecting  the Internet part. Really pointless design if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Um that was not the experience in the craft computing video. It explicitly showed Windows crying about no network connections and demanding a connection to the internet. There may be Windows 11 images that have been altered like the ones who kill the TPM and Secure boot requirements. But there was defiantly more work that had to be done to remove the MS account requirement. 

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Um that was not the experience in the craft computing video. It explicitly showed Windows crying about no network connections and demanding a connection to the internet.

Yes that was my personal experienced on new set of laptops bundled with Windows 11 Home Single Language.

First you connect to the internet, after you clicked next you can disable your WiFi/Lan via Device Manager. 

To access Device Manager you need to open Command Prompt by pressing Shift+F10 and run devmgmt.msc.

On account creation page it will show Create Local Account something like that.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

21 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Didn't know about the using admin as user and password. But forgotten about the disconnecting  the Internet part. Really pointless design if you ask me.

I personally haven't try the admin thingy but I watched him doing it and it worked. 

Average user probably don't care about those. 

I'm dual-booting Windows 11 and Linux Mint, but I spend the majority of my time in Mint.

I don't really game on my computer much and I don't play anything with anti-cheat (mostly single-player, offline games), so I'm not to worried about that. I've been running Mint for about three weeks now and it's been pretty solid. Sure, it's had it's hiccups, but it's computing, that comes with the territory.

My computer is a ThinkPad P50 with the following specs:

• 2.6ghz i7 6700HQ
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 2133mhz (4 8GB sticks)
  • 1TB m.2 WD Black SN750 Black SSD (running Windows 11)
  • 1TB m.2 WD Black SN750 Black SSD (running Linux Mint)
  • 2TB HDD for data storage
  • Nvidia Quadro m1000m GPU
  • Intel HD 530 GPU

On 12/6/2021 at 9:11 PM, Donut417 said:

For windows 11 Home, Shift + F10 when you hit the screen that wants you to choose an internet connection, then type TASKMGR look for Network Connection Flow.exe hit end task and it will skip the network connection allowing you to create a local account.

AMD R7 3700X

32GB Mushkin Redline 3200MHz DDR4

Aorus A530 Elite WIFI

Bequiet Shadow Rock 3

EVGA RTX 2060 Super

Phanteks AMP 650W

Fractal Pop Air

Windows 11 / Arch Linux

19 hours ago, linkboy said:

I'm dual-booting Windows 11 and Linux Mint, but I spend the majority of my time in Mint.

I don't really game on my computer much and I don't play anything with anti-cheat (mostly single-player, offline games), so I'm not to worried about that. I've been running Mint for about three weeks now and it's been pretty solid. Sure, it's had it's hiccups, but it's computing, that comes with the territory.

Mint is really a nice one, especially on laptops. I've been at it for a month or so (switched from a long rocky relationship with Ubuntu Budgie and a brief fling with Pop!_OS). Above all else, the pre-installed and configured Hexchat is a brilliant idea - for those not on Mint, you can open an IRC any time and drops you in the support channel - just fire away with the questions and the community will help you out. Very friendly.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:48 AM, Dragonwinged said:

Keeping my reply to my own poll separate, the network requirement is a deal breaker for me. While most games these days are digitally distributed, it's still nice to have games that can be pldyed without a constant internet connection. This is also the reason I will never buy an xbox. As revealed by Modern Vintage Gamer, cutting the series X/S from the internet will prevent you from playing most of the consoles library.

I'm Switching to linux, Specifically Manjaro, Running the KDE Desktop Evironment.

How is it going to work on laptops? Those that are operated on train without wifi?

as a linux user with a lot of experience with both osx and windows i wouldn't recommend linux or windows 11, windows 10 is currently a great platform which gives you the ability to play around with unix/linux systems, if you have prior experience with more poweruser aspects of osx then YES install linux i find it great but without prior experience with unix systems its going to be really hard to relearn and get used to

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm sticking to W10 for now.

Linux, tried it and my god the my experience wasn't great (manjaro, kubuntu, pop os and then mint). maybe not much with drivers, but with apps and other stuff.

maybe in the future, but for now w10

On 12/30/2021 at 3:15 PM, antv199 said:

Yeah, I'm sticking to W10 for now.

Linux, tried it and my god the my experience wasn't great (manjaro, kubuntu, pop os and then mint). maybe not much with drivers, but with apps and other stuff.

maybe in the future, but for now w10

Which Applications do you use? Or more accurately which ones do you need to use?