Windows 11 or Linux?

Dragonwinged

Windows 11 or switching to linux?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. will you be switching to windows 11 or start using a Linux Distro?

• windows 11
    • Linux (please specify)

Gaming is still going to suck on Linux, so no, I definitely won't be installing Linux on my main computer.

I also won't be installing Win11 until Win10 stops being supported or Win11 gets some worthwhile features that I can't have on Win10. There's no reason to switch OSes just because a new one came out. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 6/29/2021 at 2:53 PM, Giganthrax said:

Gaming is still going to suck on Linux, so no, I definitely won't be installing Linux on my main computer.

I also won't be installing Win11 until Win10 stops being supported or Win11 gets some worthwhile features that I can't have on Win10. There's no reason to switch OSes just because a new one came out. 

For me i was just surprised by it since i am on the dev build update cycle but the dev chanel wont show now guess the software is not complete yet...

I'm just gonna sit back in my Linux armchair and eat some GNU/popcorn while I watch the world of proprietary operating systems continuously get worse as time progresses.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Linux is good but problem that if you play a lot game basically you have no choose just use Windows due Linux is lack support from most game developer. Especially if you want play games with all this new feature ray tracing, DLSS and etc.

I'd have to say neither. I have a win 10 computer that won't ever see 11, and I've been using linux since 2008 and ain't about to quit.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:40 PM, Winterlight said:

Linux is good but problem that if you play a lot game basically you have no choose just use Windows due Linux is lack support from most game developer. Especially if you want play games with all this new feature ray tracing, DLSS and etc.

Won't be a problem if a lot of your games is playable on Linux.
If you only play one game but that game happen to be non-compatible with Linux or it use some kind of anti-cheat/drm that's not Linux friendly then you're out of luck. 

You can use DLSS via Proton now. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 2 weeks later...

the program wine solves the problem with games in linux 

ive been messing with POP_os! for the last week and a half. so far ive worked my way though most problems i need to solve

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

Windows 11. As much as I love messing about with Linux (been doing that ever since 2002) I never got it to run properly for more than a couple of days. After that there WILL be errors. From apps suddenly not working to an update corrupting the whole system. So far mint and ubuntu mate served me best but honestly, it's a tinkerer's OS, and I actually need my computers to work.
That said, I am really unhappy about the new taskbar. I don't care that it's in the middle (as horrible as it looks with the widgets randomly spawning on the left), but I do care that there's no overview of your open windows anymore. It's grouped, or nothing. It's the thing I dislike most about MacOS. You too, Windows?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 1:53 PM, Giganthrax said:

You'd be surprised what you can do with Proton on Linux and game compatibility that comes along with using it. But at the end of the day it really depends on the game dev. Some games dont work due to DRM issues and anti cheat issues. HOWEVER with the Steam Deck being a thing, I hear they are working some of that out. 

I plan on testing 11 out when its officially released and probably after about 3 or so months of it being available as I have to reinstall due to TPM and such plus Ill let the early adopters take the plunge. But if its a fucking disappointment I will probably continue to use 10 until its no longer supported and probably move to some Linux distro, either popOS or Ubuntu. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

i think for desktop pc ,windows is still the winner, it has so many software, game and other goodies, but for server market, linux is the king. no question about it😀

..welcome to my programming QA website it.wenda123.org ,you can find all kinds of programming and software answers there

On 6/29/2021 at 6:14 AM, Dragonwinged said:

Unless I'm wrong, and please correct me if I am, Secure Boot enabled blocks linux from booting, and Windows 11 will require secure boot to be on in order to work. So your linux usb would becomes useless on a windows 11 pc.

Yes it requires Secure Boot but at least for now it only requires it for the install and can be deactivated afterwards

For my Thinkpad 460s I already moved to Manjaro with a virtualbox windows vm if i need to try something for my job (Sysadmin), my desktop will stay windows 10 as long as its supported, then I will move to Debian or Arch, depending on the software I will require when the time comes and Windows 10 dies.

The TPM is less an issue than people think but the whole thing is a mess because it was all last minute and rushed, we don't know because they don't know (the effect it will have). I'm really curious what's coming that caused them to rush this to market.

While you have some time before it becomes mandatory the truth is if you stay with Windows you will either be pushed onto Win11 or 12 at some point or get left behind. People like to think they can just stick with what they want but at some point you will need new hardware, new direct X, new software, etc, you either get stuck with old hardware and software or you keep up. Win 8 is a great example, you can't get a lot of current gen GPUs running on Win 8 due to a lack of drivers (AMD in particular). You're fighting a losing battle.

Linux is less limiting in some ways and more limited in others. You can't play the latest competitive game, your choices on what software you can get running such as photo editing and CAD are also limited but if you can get by with those choices and/or some hacks it feels great to be free of MS and Apple. If you can't handle that though stick with Win10 and keep evaluating your options, take your time but don't wait until you're forced, you don't want to be dealing with new hardware and backups all while trying to figure out a new OS. Similar or not it's just more stress in a stressful situation.

If you want to do Linux start with using as much Open Source software as you can prior to switching then start looking in to what it takes to run the rest in WINE or Proton or manage it in a VM as a last resort.  Easiest way to look at distros is the package manager, you can run any desktop environment (or none) on pretty much any distro, I would recommend Suse, an offshoot of Ubuntu (Pop! is good) or a distro based on Arch (Arco or Manjaro are my favorites) simply bacause they have the largest software repositories to pull from and a large user bases to get help when you need it. Once you switch you really need to force yourself to stick with it for a few months otherwise you'll just end up running back to Windows. I know it sounds odd, but even dual booting you won't really "get" Linux. It's too easy to cheat rather than take the hard road and find the answers and locate those valuable resources you need to make it really work. You'll think you're swimming in the ocean when really you're just playing in the shallow end of the pool.

With the announcement of steam deck, using linux as a primary operating system for gaming becomes a lot more realistic. I've been using linux exclusively for gaming for well over 7 years now. It's really not too bad, especially if you have a bit of tech savvy in ya.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I switched to Linux over 5 years ago. I never used Windows 8 - 10. I use KDE Neon; same with the rest of my family. No regrets here. So I definitely won't be using 11 for anything. But I do see a lot of computers that won't run 11 being sold at bargain prices in the near future. That's the only thing that will come out of 11 as beneficial in my opinion. 😉

My brother is also switching to Linux as his main OS. Mainly because he likes the idea of GPU passthrough; anti-cheat being granted special privileges to the Windows kernel being the main concern. This has been known to cause Windows installs to be crippled. That, or the anti-cheat could serve as an exploit. So he wants to keep those potential problems isolated in a KVM.

So to all those crying about games with anti-cheat and software like Photoshop, Autocad and those software companies not supporting Linux, people should invest in using GPU passthrough on top of Linux. At least should Windows get messed up in some way, one could just roll back via snapshot.  This is how Linux should be used; to use it to have more control over what happens with Windows. 😉

I have GPU passthrough setup too. So far, I just have Windows 7 set up in a VM with GPU passthrough. I keep that VM isolated from all network activity for security to keep using 7 longer. It works like a charm. At least I have use for that old Nvidia card. And my newer AMD RX 570 card is used for my host (Because Nvidia sucks on Linux and should be avoided unless using it for GPU pass through setup).

Thankfully, I really am not into a lot of modern games. DLCs, various micro transactions and large updates are not my thing. Modern gaming sucks in my opinion. It's feels so complicated, when in fact, it should be as simple as starting the damn game and just playing it through. Without having to pay any micro transactions. And I won't touch games with anti-cheat.

I also count my lucky stars that I used open source software long before I ever switched to Linux. So my needs for Windows is nonexistent essentially (mainly use it for a single game trainer). WINE with Lutris does more than enough for me already.

1 hour ago, D-reaper said:

So my needs for Windows is nonexistent

The thing is, so far - with the exception of windows store apps (games) windows was pretty much open, most high caliber games are reverse engineered within a few days, often day one, or even before that, "open source" is more or less just a meaningless buzzword for the "community" so there has been little incentives to deal with "distros", "pass through" and a teletext style "terminal" but we will see how this changes with the always on TPM requirements… the tendencies seem clear, but its a slippery slope microsoft is playing. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

The thing is, so far - with the exception of windows store apps (games) windows was pretty much open, most high caliber games are reverse engineered within a few days, often day one, or even before that, "open source" is more or less just a meaningless buzzword for the "community" so there has been little incentives to deal with "distros", "pass through" and a teletext style "terminal" but we will see how this changes with the always on TPM requirements… the tendencies seem clear, but its a slippery slope microsoft is playing. 

I don't know. I've never touched Windows store. So I could care less about it. From what I heard so far, it hasn't been that great. And how is the term "open source" a meaningless buzzword? When it comes to open source vs proprietary, I'd choose open source before proprietary software. Just because open source is transparent compared to that of proprietary software. At least if I really wanted to, I could see the source code of the application before I compile it.

And GPU passthrough is very useful. Say if I wanted to run a different versions of Windows with a secondary GPU as a dedicated GPU for a virtual machine. All for the sake of running Windows with a dedicated GPU. Well, then I could without the need to dual boot my host machine. In fact, my brother is now seeing the benefits of that already.

"but its a slippery slope microsoft is playing." - It is. Which is why I look forward to slightly older computers being sold at bargain prices since they won't qualify for Windows 11. 😉

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 6:44 AM, Dragonwinged said:

(As I understand it, Secure boot, which Windows 11 requires, will often block installation of linux, meaning dual booting is not an option.)

I think if you Install Windows 11, u can later turn secure boot off. making dual booting an option. however this has not been tested yet and might get restricted during launch.

• 3 weeks later...

Linux problem that they lack of support for most game and we don't have basically any choose only Windows 11. But if you use for work mostly stay Linux. Btw all this Windows 11 CPU requirement is bullshit. Windows 10 as well have HVIC , VBS support they just disabled by default. Few week ago I enabled it in Windows 10 and it run perfect on I7 7700 without any performance lose so there is no real reason why Intel 7th Gen not support in Windows 11.

1 hour ago, Winterlight said:

Linux problem that they lack of support for most game and we don't have basically any choose only Windows 11. But if you use for work mostly stay Linux. Btw all this Windows 11 CPU requirement is bullshit. Windows 10 as well have HVIC , VBS support they just disabled by default. Few week ago I enabled it in Windows 10 and it run perfect on I7 7700 without any performance lose so there is no real reason why Intel 7th Gen not support in Windows 11.

Wrong. Many games work on Linux. Proton made this possible and to an extent Wine. Its not like it was back in the day. In fact PoP OS from System 76 is considered one of the most gaming friendly distros. Where you do have issues is sometimes with drivers. AMD drivers are baked directly in to the Linux kernel. Which means when new cards come out, you have to wait for a Kernel update. 

I believe all Valve games work on Linux natively. With how Valve is pushing the Steam Deck, they have gotten more support from devs. I mean Epic is helping making DRM work on Linux. So Windows is NOT the only choice. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Wrong. Many games work on Linux. Proton made this possible and to an extent Wine. Its not like it was back in the day. In fact PoP OS from System 76 is considered one of the most gaming friendly distros. Where you do have issues is sometimes with drivers. AMD drivers are baked directly in to the Linux kernel. Which means when new cards come out, you have to wait for a Kernel update. 

I believe all Valve games work on Linux natively. With how Valve is pushing the Steam Deck, they have gotten more support from devs. I mean Epic is helping making DRM work on Linux. So Windows is NOT the only choice. 

That not change fact that Linux still many year behind Windows 10/11 for games but if they not lower that super high CPU requirement for Windows 11 that could be good chance for Linux. Even game work on Linux usually it have worse performance than Windows.

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 
           tk: Gtk 3.24.20 wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma 
           base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 3 
           serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: 970A-D3P serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: FD 
           date: 02/26/2016 
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8320 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer 
           L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 56252 
           Speed: 3717 MHz min/max: 1400/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3760 2: 3749 3: 2143 
           4: 2229 5: 1866 6: 1968 7: 1925 8: 1870 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X] driver: amdgpu 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:699f 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: amdgpu,ati 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: 
           renderer: Radeon RX550/550 Series (POLARIS12 DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-88-generic LLVM 12.0.0) 
           v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:14.2 chip ID: 1002:4383 
           Device-2: AMD Baffin HDMI/DP Audio [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X] 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 1002:aae0 
           Device-3: Creative Labs CA0108/CA10300 [Sound Blaster Audigy Series] 
           driver: snd_emu10k1 v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 1102:0008 
           Device-4: C-Media USB Audio Device type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
           bus ID: 7-1:2 chip ID: 0d8c:0012 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-88-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte 
           driver: r8169 v: kernel port: c000 bus ID: 05:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: MediaTek WiFi type: USB driver: mt76x0u bus ID: 1-3:4 chip ID: 0e8d:7610 
           IF: wlx803f5d246597 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 5.92 TiB used: 657.14 GiB (10.8%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: A-Data model: SU800 size: 476.94 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EADS-00L5B1 size: 931.51 GiB 
           speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Seagate model: Expansion Desk size: 3.64 TiB 
           ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABD100 size: 931.51 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 232.58 GiB used: 13.97 GiB (6.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-2: /home size: 3.58 TiB used: 643.17 GiB (17.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1 
USB:       Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 5 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Device-1: 1-3:4 info: MediaTek WiFi type: Network driver: mt76x0u rev: 2.0 
           chip ID: 0e8d:7610 
           Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 5 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Hub: 3-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Device-2: 3-2:3 info: Seagate RSS LLC SRD0NF2 [Expansion Desktop Drive] 
           type: Mass Storage driver: uas rev: 2.1 chip ID: 0bc2:3322 
           Hub: 4-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 5 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Device-3: 4-1:2 info: Holtek USB Laser Game Mouse type: Mouse,Keyboard,HID 
           driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 2.0 chip ID: 04d9:fa56 
           Device-4: 4-2:3 info: SiGma Micro Keyboard TRACER Gamma Ivory type: Keyboard,HID 
           driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1c4f:0002 
           Hub: 5-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 5 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Hub: 6-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Hub: 7-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Device-5: 7-1:2 info: C-Media USB Audio Device type: Audio,HID 
           driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid rev: 1.1 chip ID: 0d8c:0012 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.6 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 35 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com uma main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
           2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:      Processes: 239 Uptime: 6h 03m Memory: 15.67 GiB used: 1.53 GiB (9.8%) Init: systemd 
           v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 8/9 Client: Unknown python3.8 client 
           inxi: 3.0.38 

so this is my system

on it i run

- Halo: The Master Chief Collection (with easy anti-cheat on) Proton 6.3-7  (all sound working)

- Far Cry Primal (has all sounds running ) Proton 6.3-7

- Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt Proton 6.3-7

- Raft Proton 6.3-7

- Subnautica Proton 6.3-7

- Subnautica Below Zero Proton 6.3-7

- World of Tanks Blitz Proton 6.3-7

- Elite Dangerous Proton 6.3-7

and a few others

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

Windows 11 is great and all but it really is a demanding os, it wants new hardware. Linux or windows 10 would be best.

really want to switch to linux but Every time I attempt to I run into more problems, whether it be monitors with different scaling not working, certain hardware not working correctly, lack of customizable window managers (like PowerToys but for linux), nicehash not working, etc. I'm sure there are ways to fix almost all of my issues but for now I'm stuck on windows (plus I need Microsoft Office for work (I actually use the O365 excel functions that aren't supported on alternatives AFAIK.)).

I tried windows all on both a surface with a 7660U and my main machine with a 10900k, the 10900k system ran it fine and everything was snappy, no real issues. But on the surface it was SLOW. Even after debloating it things still took way longer than on windows 10, It's the exact same thing I experienced when running windows 10 on my Precision (3720qm), windows 7 was incredibly snappy but no matter what windows 10 felt sluggish in comparison.

I'll probably be sticking with Windows 10 for now.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1