WHY did I get my hopes up? - Windows 11 Announcement

Microsoft’s poorly-kept secret was let out of the bag early – Perhaps intentionally. But how much did we REALLY learn before today’s announcement? And did we learn anything today?

Windows 11's official landing page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-11

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

2 minutes ago, B R U H said:

Any news on when we can upgrade?

"late 2021" is the start of the upgrade roll out. And some parts of MS site said Fall as well. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

sad they didnt mention the axing of "support" for older Gen CPUs

I like making secure boot mandatory however it is worrying for old graphic cards that works best when secure boot is disabled. 

Hi LTT Team,

It seems most of the Windows user are completely clueless what TPM 2.0 is and how it exactly works. The Windows 11 Requirement: TPM 2.0 should be explained a lot more!

Linus mentioned it in a single sentence. But sadly without any background information.

We Germans seem to be seen as the rude bunch, which I have to validate now!

Wow, Linus when Microsoft comes and asks indirect for your firstborn, money and any secret you might have (accounting, estate, mortgages…) you don’t get scared?

The NSA and Microsoft will be able to see their future work as paid holidays after Win 11 will be released!.. 😉

To me this is the kind of stuff, dystopian horror movies are made off. 🥵

How about some background information about the subject?

With all the included 'fluff' W11 looks to be as bloated as W10 :(

Oh well , not unexpected tbh.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, Murasaki said:

sad they didnt mention the axing of "support" for older Gen CPUs

And GPUs.

54 minutes ago, Armin H. said:

Hi LTT Team,

It seems most of the Windows user are completely clueless what TPM 2.0 is and how it exactly works. The Windows 11 Requirement: TPM 2.0 should be explained a lot more!

Linus mentioned it in a single sentence. But sadly without any background information.

We Germans seem to be seen as the rude bunch, which I have to validate now!

Wow, Linus when Microsoft comes and asks indirect for your firstborn, money and any secret you might have (accounting, estate, mortgages…) you don’t get scared?

The NSA and Microsoft will be able to see their future work as paid holidays after Win 11 will be released!.. 😉

To me this is the kind of stuff, dystopian horror movies are made off. 🥵

How about some background information about the subject?

True

3 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

With all the included 'fluff' W11 looks to be as bloated as W10 😞

Oh well , not unexpected tbh.

I had even dare to say that Windows 11 seem worse than Windows 10.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I was right:

Microsoft must understand that Windows 10 and 11 aren't Windows Vista and 7,

Windows Vista was innovative and revolutionary,Windows 10 is just a bloated and reskinned Windows 8.

Windows 7 polished the Vista experience,Windows 11 is just a reskinned Windows 10.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

since it took me a good while to get to the list of supported CPUs for PC might as well leave a link here so you know if you need to upgrade your CPU/MoBo or not to get the free win 11 upgrade:
For AMD: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

For Intel: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

this is form this page:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

All I got to say is that I got lucky that my Ryzen 2700X is supported as I that upgrade was due to a need. still bitter that my old PC did not last long enough for 3000 series.

5 minutes ago, OhBoy said:

since it took me a good while to get to the list of supported CPUs for PC might as well leave a link here so you know if you need to upgrade your CPU/MoBo or not to get the free win 11 upgrade:
For AMD: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

For Intel: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

this is form this page:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

All I got to say is that I got lucky that my Ryzen 2700X is supported as I that upgrade was due to a need. still bitter that my old PC did not last long enough for 3000 series.

So most CPUs in the world aren't supported,What kind of sick joke is this?!

Even modern CPUs like the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and the Intel Core i7 7700K aren't supported.

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Even modern CPUs like the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and the Intel Core i7 7700K aren't supported.

for me that was the biggest shocker. I only paid attention to AMD. and the lack of 1st Gen Ryzen was concerning. talk about harsh early adopters penalty. but to hear that Intel skylake and Kaby Lake is even worse. as that is not small number of Active PCs. too bad that Steam does not seem to share CPU names in their survey as I am intrested in knowing how many players wont be able to upgrade to win11

9 minutes ago, OhBoy said:

this is form this page:

Weird limitations. Those are definitely are not related to instructions, since all Atoms, Celerons, and Pentiums (Pentia? :)), don't have AVX instructions, so, the least common denominator for all those processors is SSE4. But then there is no reason not to support earlier processors.

53 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Ryzen 5 2400G, a reasonable CPU that meets the >= Ryzen 2XXX requirement, also did not make the list so their own guidance is deceptive. What's the emoji for "screw these clowns"?

1 hour ago, OhBoy said:

this is form this page:

It’s silly to me that they’re hyping up this release and then just deciding that slightly old but still powerful CPUs just aren’t able to use it. My 1600x apparently isn’t supported, yay..

I'm pretty sure the "supported CPUs" are just the CPUs Windows has been tested on and don't actually mean anything. I mean, you can install Windows 7 on a Pentium III (and older, it's just the PIII is the oldest I've installed it on myself) or Windows 10 on a Core2Duo no problem and I'm certain none of those things were ever validated my Microsoft.

What really annoys me is that TPM thingy. I'll be honest, I wasn't aware of what it is or what it does up until very recently either - this certainly deserves further explanation.

But here's the main issue: Virtually no consumer motherboard sold in the last 10 years has a TPM module onboard. Now yes, newer systems will have Intel PTT or AMD fTPM integrated into the CPU which can be enabled in BIOS, but that still leaves many users with slightly older, but still perfectly capable hardware with the only choice of either using workarounds to modify the installer files so that the requirement isn't checked or going out and buying a TPM module and plugging it into their motherboard. Now sure, the average user on this forum could probably do that with the help of their motherboards manual or maybe a tutorial video online. But "normal" PC users who have never even seen a BIOS? Yeah, not happening. Also, to add insult to injury, many older boards use an older form of TPM header (ASUS for example was using a 10-1 pin header) and modules for those headers just simply aren't being sold anymore, which means that even if I did want to buy a TPM module for my system, I straight up couldn't.

If there was an actual techical reason for the requirements then maybe I'd be (more) okay with it, but as evidence shows there doesn't seem to be. Also yeah fun fact, none of my systems are being reported as compatible by the PC checker tool. Not even my laptop which I know for a fact has secure boot enabled and a TPM 2.0 module (which you can check by running "tpm.msc"). I'm curious to see why that's supposed to be when they update the tool so that it actually gives you useful info (Microsoft did say they were going to do that soon).

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

Windows 11's TPM requirement needs fucking off so far, science has yet to come up with a distance definition for how far it's fucked off.

It needs to become optional, give the users a choice, and a warning of why it would be great to have one.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

8 minutes ago, silentdragon95 said:

which you can check by running "tpm.msc"

On my main rig: "Compatible TPM cannot be found"

I want to share this support article specifically about the Windows 11 system requirements. TPM 1.2 is the absolute minimum for Windows 11, not 2.0. Secure boot and UEFI is also a requirement. 

Most PCs and Laptops, especially around the Windows 8 era should have support for this. I have a Dell XPS laptop from 2012 that came with Windows 7 and I was able to install the leaked Windows 11 build without any issues or modifications to the ISO. It has TPM 1.2, Secure Boot, and UEFI bios support. 

See the hard floor and soft floor requirements:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/

I'm surprised. There is a lot of stuff that makes me consider instantly switching as soon as the public version is out. Especially the smart window snapping thingy and the approach to finally make HDR work. I also quite like the new design. Just not sure about the center task bar yet. I hope they at least have the option to make it snap to the left again.

Also, really nice and informative video LTT. But again, the title is utter garbage.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

43 minutes ago, Tieox said:

give the users a choice

Welcome to Linux then 🙂

For any commercially supported OS: choice, you really think you get a choice?!!??!!! 🤬 Fer C***st sake, we (insert big tech company name here) make the rules! 😠  Next thing you know, our cash cows customers opt out of our locked in ecosystem! We can't have that!!!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Is it just me or has legit nobody asked for most of the features that are new?

centralized taskbar? Locked to the bottom? "tablet" stuff?

The first impression I got from the new layout was confusion. I am really afraid what the average person is going to do when they see this.

Wouldn't be surprised if "I don't like this, I want the old thing back" would be the first reaction of many.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

53 minutes ago, NotFakeName said:

Require internet connection, require M$ account, locked taskbar... No thank you.

I'm gonna be really interested to see how the internet/MS account requirements shake out, given the video they did on the leaked build had an explicit "Use an offline account" option in the installer. I'm kinda skeptical about removing taskbar positioning, given literally every OS I've ever used has allowed you to move its taskbar-equivalent, but if that ends up being true then I guess I'll just have to go back to using Classic Shell or something - I'm sure some third-party dev will find a way eventually.

I have seen on the internet people mentioning the bad and good cycle of Windows versions, and that this may break the cycle. However, while Windows 10 is not good in my opinion, it can at least be modified to be a lot better. To me, Windows 11 is just a cash grab without much effort (similar to Windows ME), as it is Windows 10 with some UI changes, which they couldn't be bothered to change for all accounts, like the SYSTEM account (at least for the leaked build). Also, regarding a required internet connection, TPM 2.0, well they also couldn't be bothered to enforce that (again, at least in the leaked build), as you can just use DISM and deploy the Windows 11 WIM file (although that's probably for places like businesses where they can't really upgrade their computers, which may not meet the requirements, and in those environments they usually just deploy images). Now regarding the safe boot requirement: why? Regarding the UI itself, it looks like they just stole a bunch of stuff from ChromeOS and MacOS (mainly MacOS I think). Now to the Window management. While the reappearing of Windows seems nice, as Linus asked, I am not sure what would happen if you did stuff with those Windows. For Window snapping, use Powertoys unless your fine with the lack of customization and/or, as Linus said, prefer the ease of use. Probably the worst thing, however, is the lack of CPU support. As Soltros said, his Ryzen 5 (I think) 1600x is not supported, even though its from only around 2017. TL;DR Windows 11 is a cash grabby ripoff of ChromeOS and MacOS with bad hardware support and not much effort.