WHY did I get my hopes up? - Windows 11 Announcement

Still don't understand why this is labeled as windows 11 and not just a windows 10 update

ios keyboard... Nah, it's literally swiftkey from android that MS bought out years ago.

Also nice shirt during this vid. Quite fitting.

Ayy more unnecessarily unremovable 'features' with teams...

I would rather emulate android apps than use the amazon appstore. It's pretty easy now a days anyhow.

Requires MS account and internet connection to install for at least for now home edition is a hard fucking pass. If that requires both of those then what else if baked into the os that does they don't and won't mention?

This will for sure be a os release that gets left sitting collecting dust. Till it's either required with some new CPU and microcode requirements or something annoying like you can only play DX12 games on W11 with enough games having a DX12 only mode. Then might as well have a dual-boot system just for that game and enjoy a working W10 system.

Would be amusing to see the salty script for this video too.

There really is not enough good updates of features to outweigh the downsides. Even the things like the direct storage for gaming is going to takes years for anyone to get it going. Auto HDR... Yea, I'd rather just use something like reshade and adjust the game instead. And tools like PowerToys is likely going to get the new W11 features and make it better if MS doesn't can it

9 hours ago, OhBoy said:

Oof that is rough. That is something... Guessing it's all of the TPM crap they are pushing.

It seems like nobody has said this, yet - Secure Boot is not actually required to be enabled. You just need to be on a UEFI install with TPM enabled, and Secure Boot *able* to be turned on.

windows11secureboot.JPG

16 hours ago, Benji said:

Oddly enough, I'm certain that I read yesterday on Microsoft's webpage that it should be available "around the holiday season". What is it? Microsoft probably doesn't know that themselves 😄

The German Microsoft webpage says that you can buy PCs with Windows 11 pre-installed "later this year", which is a pretty useless information given the fact that this year is only half done.

Upgrades to Windows 11 are supposedly starting "at the end of 2021 and are being continued in 2022".

Apparently, the free Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade should permanently remain free of charge, although "Microsoft reserves the right to remove support for the free offer" and the date at which this might happen is "at the earliest one year after the general availability".

But oddly enought, they shortened the time period during which you can roll back to Windows 10 to only 10 days instead of the previous 30 days.

1. Holiday season does still count as both "end" (Q4) and "fall" for some companies, considering a lot of people consider holiday season as end of Oct to early Jan (mostly because sales and the amount of "holidays" during it. Q4 is the last 3 months so.

2. Considering that Windows 10 free upgrade "ended" but still is achievable by simply using the Win 7/8(.1) keys or just upgrading in any OEM device, that is not a surprise.

3. Thats actually pretty odd. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

On 6/25/2021 at 12:37 AM, Armin H. said:

Hi LTT Team,

It seems most of the Windows user are completely clueless what TPM 2.0 is and how it exactly works. The Windows 11 Requirement: TPM 2.0 should be explained a lot more!

Linus mentioned it in a single sentence. But sadly without any background information.

We Germans seem to be seen as the rude bunch, which I have to validate now!

Linus Team,

I concur with Armin H.

You really need to do a Tube on what TPM 1.2/2.0 is and how it relates to the Intel Trusted Execution Technology, which is implemented in the 6th and 7th Gen Intel processor.  Also, what does it do and why it is useful or not so useful.  For me, if you are a laptop owner and you store sensitive information, turning on Bitlocker is a must.  Which by the way requires TPM or a USB Key.  "Now where did I put that USB key..."  

I'm yet to understand what's even the point of Win11 if they changed nothing of the core issues with Win10 and in fact made it even worse and more locked.

For Windows I'll just stick to 10 until it goes EOL.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)