Frame.work modular laptops

Summary

Frame.work is an emerging company with offices in California, and Taipei, developing a laptop where you upgrade almost everthing yourself.  Coming in two flavours - either built-to-spec, or available as a kit - these include a 1-Year limited warranty, a 2256x1504 400-nit sRGB display, up to 4.8GHz CPU, M.2 storage up to 2TB, a fingerprint reader, 4x user-selectable expansion slots for ports/additional storage (others are planned), and more.  With electronic waste drastically increasing every year, Frame.work wishes to redefine the computing industry to be more sustainable, without forcing high tarrifs on the consumer:

Quotes

" We create over fifty million tons of e-waste each year. That’s 6 kg or 13 lb per person on earth per year, made up of our former devices. We need to improve recyclability, but the biggest impact we can make is generating less waste to begin with by making our products last longer..."

"The conventional wisdom in the industry is that making products repairable makes them thicker, heavier, uglier, less robust, and more expensive. We’re here to prove that wrong and fix consumer electronics, one category at a time."

My thoughts

I have been interested in modular solutions for some time, with projects from comanies like Kano, but these have been limited in assembly and customisation.  Since I started my own social enterprise, I have followed suit in developing modular products. It is only 13.5" for now, and only available in some countries, but this is expected for a first product, and offers a good idea of what we can expect in the future.

Sources

https://frame.work/products/laptop-diy-edition

https://frame.work/about

Cool

Will probably meet the same fate as phoneblocks

Still cool idea though

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Modular device design isn't new, and neither is Framework. I hope it works for them, but they'll have to work very hard to make that happen. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

This is really neat, and I hope they're sucessful, but unfortunately not enough people probably care about making their laptop last longer by having the option to upgrade their RAM or M.2 SSD.

And it shows how bad the laptop manufacturers have gotten when being able to upgrade your own laptop is a selling feature.

Modular laptops are inherently not profitable and all "modular device" concepts have always failed.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Honestly if I didn’t need a dedicated graphics card for video editing this would be my next laptop. I’m already on the mailing list for updates and am so eager to see it pan out. The fact that you can pick your ports, replace components with ease yet still get a QHD 3:2 display and tiger lake chips in a thin and light clamshell is brilliant. It’s going in a roundup video I’ve scripted on ultra books.

Will likely go the way of PhoneBlocks, but if it's successful it'd be very cool

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

There are a lot of modular device projects out there that actually are successful, but most are isolated to the education sector (namely electronics kits for classrooms or home use).  The really successful product to date has been modular keyboards.

May this take a couple of years to gain traction? Probably.

Choosing ports is kind of weird, but everything else just seems like a very repairable notebook.
The idea of replacing the main board with a new CPU/GPU but keeping everything else also is pretty nice.
It means most people that take care of their stuff can save up some money in the long run if they're satisfied with their keyboard/touchpad/screen/battery/ports.
The cooling seems very lacking though.

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Build Systems

This does not follow guidelines for Tech News. This section is for news articles which are already published by known and trusted sources.

So this is more like ad or "what do you think about this cool thing I found" and so doesn't belong in TN.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Adding some new info. They've sold out of US preorders (for the base model) and have opened preorders in the Canadian market. From the start Framework's proposition is less complicated then Phone Blocks. Laptops are already semi-modular but building an entire ecosystem for mobile phones from scratch years ago was something else entirely (Framework's module system is build on top of existing USB-C standards vs something Phone Blocks invented, or planned to invent.) The comparison to Phone Blocks is apt but Framework is much closer to being a real product you can buy then phone blocks ever was. In fact the first batch is due to start shipping out by the end of THIS month. If you check out the community section you can see they make regular posts, updates, and answer questions, something Phone Blocks never did.

https://community.frame.work/t/expansion-card-developer-program-canada-launch/2263