New USB 3.0 form factor

Lightning

Still looks fragile as fuck

What connector isn't? I'm talking about realistic durability; most people on this forum are careful enough with their plugs, especially with the prized and famed USB ButtPlug (Linus-Edition)'s, but the general public goes through cables like crazy. Work any retail electronics job and I can vouch that you won't go a week without selling someone a cable for a mobile device.

Aren't the MS Surface connectors magnetic? 

Yes, but they are apparently a little fiddly

Yes, but they are allowed as Apple's patent only covers charging I believe, where as the Microsoft Surface connector has an extra pin set for Data Communication.

And yes, they are fiddly not because of the connector, but because of the VapourMG casing around the plug area. It's annoying.

This is ridiculous.  Any time you have a thing wafer in the middle that has to

• be structural
  • have a thin layer of metal (copper) for making the connection

you're going to have a bad time. 

Look at the lightning connector - it's really genius - the receptacle is just open and the cable is the structural "plug" Any time that breaks/gets weak the cable is replaced, not the device.

I'd be totally fine and not give feedback on your post if cables were sold at appropriate prices instead of "You know what? I don't have money for this cable so you can... umm... have my first born child. In exchange I want 5 cables, because I know I'll go through that many before we have more babies." I'm not saying manufacturer's can't make money, but really, if a cable has a margin up to and over 9000%, I will take very good care of it, which really means Apple's cables are no better than MicroUSB.

In fact, at our store, we've gone through ZERO Android USB cables (apart from a couple due to theft), but had to replace 6 Apple Lightning cables, and 2 30-Pin Cables. One might argue more people look at Apple's iPads, and in some stores I'd agree. But in my 3 years I see more people picking up Android tablets to figure out all the ports and capabilities (because most people know how iPads work) and those USB cables bend like crazy right at the connector. No problem though, where as Apple's Lightning connector is one of the worst for cable durability. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the Lightning plug itself, but the cable material they use is very thin and we've had one actually melt/burn because it got too hot.

People are stupid enough to force USB into Ethernet and expect it to give them "the power of the Internet"...

"Hi! I'm looking for a cable with USB on both ends."

"Oh, sure. Let me make sure I understand what you're after. What are you trying to do with it?"

"I want to plug my laptop into my TV."

pending-black-panthers-den-31390430-747-

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

What connector isn't? I'm talking about realistic durability; most people on this forum are careful enough with their plugs, especially with the prized and famed USB ButtPlug (Linus-Edition)'s, but the general public goes through cables like crazy. Work any retail electronics job and I can vouch that you won't go a week without selling someone a cable for a mobile device.

Yes, but they are allowed as Apple's patent only covers charging I believe, where as the Microsoft Surface connector has an extra pin set for Data Communication.

And yes, they are fiddly not because of the connector, but because of the VapourMG casing around the plug area. It's annoying.

I'd be totally fine and not give feedback on your post if cables were sold at appropriate prices instead of "You know what? I don't have money for this cable so you can... umm... have my first born child. In exchange I want 5 cables, because I know I'll go through that many before we have more babies." I'm not saying manufacturer's can't make money, but really, if a cable has a margin up to and over 9000%, I will take very good care of it, which really means Apple's cables are no better than MicroUSB.

In fact, at our store, we've gone through ZERO Android USB cables (apart from a couple due to theft), but had to replace 6 Apple Lightning cables, and 2 30-Pin Cables. One might argue more people look at Apple's iPads, and in some stores I'd agree. But in my 3 years I see more people picking up Android tablets to figure out all the ports and capabilities (because most people know how iPads work) and those USB cables bend like crazy right at the connector. No problem though, where as Apple's Lightning connector is one of the worst for cable durability. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the Lightning plug itself, but the cable material they use is very thin and we've had one actually melt/burn because it got too hot.

"Hi! I'm looking for a cable with USB on both ends."

"Oh, sure. Let me make sure I understand what you're after. What are you trying to do with it?"

"I want to plug my laptop into my TV."

pending-black-panthers-den-31390430-747-

apples cables are replace more because they are 1) more popular, meaning more will break and 2) anyone with a brain will go online and buy a usb replacement for $.50 for android.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

They look really flimsy. Everyone should just stay with the large USB connector. They never break.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I wonder if they could make it lockable like displayport. I really appreciate that feature but I just remember how many reviews ive seen with people commenting that they ripped the DP port off of their display because it would unplug. Is it really that had to push a button?

Marketing Plan :

Let's make it as fragile as possible and sell more cables!!

I need a close up pic or video to determine that not some artist rendition

They look really flimsy. Everyone should just stay with the large USB connector. They never break.

cause those plug into my portable devices, totally.

I wonder if they could make it lockable like displayport. I really appreciate that feature but I just remember how many reviews ive seen with people commenting that they ripped the DP port off of their display because it would unplug. Is it really that had to push a button?

I need a close up pic or video to determine that not some artist rendition

cause those plug into my portable devices, totally.

Then why don't they make the big connector smaller instead of making it flimsily. All they have to do it shrink the connector not use thinner metal. Besides the Razer Blade laptop has full sized USB so why can't a phone.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

RAW list of specs directly from USB-IF + 3 official pictures from the USB-IF

USB Type-C Connector Key Aspects

Entirely new design

-          Tailored for emerging product designs

-          Robust enough for laptops and tablets; slim enough for mobile phones 

New smaller size

-          Similar to size of USB 2.0 Micro-B

-          Listen for the “click” 

Usability enhancements

-          Reversible plug orientation & cable direction

Supports scalable power charging

Future Scalability

-          Designed to establish future USB performance needs

Type-C Connector Specification anticipated to be published in July 2014

Mechanical specs (preliminary):

•          Receptacle opening: ~8.3mm x ~2.5mm

•          Durability: 10,000 cycles

•          Improved EMI and RFI mitigation features

•          Power delivery capacity:

•          3A for standard cables

•          5A for connectors

Functional capabilities:

•          USB 2.0: LS/FS/HS

•          USB 3.1: Gen1 (5Gbps)/Gen2 (10Gbps)

•          Enhanced power delivery options

•          Extended 5V current ranges plus USB PD

•          Docking support

•          USB PD-based interface configuration option

1173720d1375227034-orient-curator-ffd0j0I'm going to believe the specs unlike a lot of people here and be VERY excited :D YAY!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Then why don't they make the big connector smaller instead of making it flimsily. All they have to do it shrink the connector not use thinner metal. Besides the Razer Blade laptop has full sized USB so why can't a phone.

Make things smaller without using smaller things? Also a good number of phones are thinner than a USB A connector and that even without worrying how to mount the connector to the PCB.

Make things smaller without using smaller things? Also a good number of phones are thinner than a USB A connector and that even without worrying how to mount the connector to the PCB.

Well then you all have to stop complaining about having flimsy connectors then because there is no way around it. Either use wireless or use a flimsy connector. It doesn't bother me in the slightest because I don't own a smartphone. The connector on the 3DS is quite a good one, it is very strong so they could probably do something like that instead of making the connector really thin.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Well then you all have to stop complaining about having flimsy connectors then because there is no way around it. Either use wireless or use a flimsy connector. It doesn't bother me in the slightest because I don't own a smartphone. The connector on the 3DS is quite a good one, it is very strong so they could probably do something like that instead of making the connector really thin.

I think thats Mini A? or at least the DS Lite's was I believe. The one on the Wii U tablet which is the same as the 3DS if I recall kinda looks like a Mini DP or thunderbolt port.

They could do it but it would have to be a complete redesign which is what USB C is going to be. But yes a smaller connect will never be as strong, especially with the same size cable attached to it as that is what gives it leverage to bend. if it to stubby it pop out but thwn its longer itll bend. Thisll hopefully be properly engineered unlike micro B USB 3.0 or the USB 3.0 internal Case header. micro B USB 3.0 ended up the way it is or the sake of backwards compatibility but that was a bad call and look what they are going to have to do now, something they should have done initially. As for the USB 3.0 internal header the actual connector to the MB is fine though a touch shallow, likely done since shorter pins are less likely to break or bend, the problem is the large about of plastic after the connector and stiff cables that give it so much leverage.

I did not say it IS a limiting factor, but it's becoming one as ultrabooks get thinner and thinner every year.

Already the first (!) Ultrabook ever isn't much thicker than the USB Type A Connector. (Asus Zenbook UX31E)

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

So... Maybe I'm not the only one but... WIRELESS DATA/POWER Anyone? No?

Oh right - we actually DO have this technology; it simply exists over about 4 or 5 different standards because no one can get their head out of patent laws, or collaborate together to innovate! Well that settles it!

I propose we introduce string-and-wafer technology. Cell phone's will no longer need power nor 3G, nor a hefty bill. We will connect very long strings between the phones of those we wish to talk to. Done.  :D 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Looks fragile and cheap. I don't mind the size of usb right now and I can't see why anyone would need it to be smaller.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

I think thats Mini A? or at least the DS Lite's was I believe. The one on the Wii U tablet which is the same as the 3DS if I recall kinda looks like a Mini DP or thunderbolt port.

They could do it but it would have to be a complete redesign which is what USB C is going to be. But yes a smaller connect will never be as strong, especially with the same size cable attached to it as that is what gives it leverage to bend. if it to stubby it pop out but thwn its longer itll bend. Thisll hopefully be properly engineered unlike micro B USB 3.0 or the USB 3.0 internal Case header. micro B USB 3.0 ended up the way it is or the sake of backwards compatibility but that was a bad call and look what they are going to have to do now, something they should have done initially. As for the USB 3.0 internal header the actual connector to the MB is fine though a touch shallow, likely done since shorter pins are less likely to break or bend, the problem is the large about of plastic after the connector and stiff cables that give it so much leverage.

Yea it's a bit like that but it only has two pins in it though. It's a really strong connector. Al they need to do is add a locking mechanism to it and hay presto. Also add some more pins in the connector and wire for more bandwidth I guess.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I am not happy about this new form factor nor am I happy still about Oculus selling out to Facebook.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Why don't they go for a circular design like a headphone jack? Is that impossible?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Im going to believe the specs unlike a lot of people here and be VERY excited :D YAY!

It does sound better than the A variant, I still think USB in general is pretty uninteresting and I think we have the ability to make better connectors, it's just difficult because of backwards compatibility and cost to manufacturers.

Why don't they go for a circular design like a headphone jack? Is that impossible?

Circles are hard but some devices in the past have used 4 pole 3.5mm jacks as usb ports.

would this post be considered a continuation of the one posted a several months ago?

yep