Next Generation USB Connection Definition Underway

Well looks like there will be a new USB type c coming in middle of 2014. You can get a review sample during the first quarter of 2014

The USB 3.0 Promoter Group today announced that the development of the next generation of USB connector has begun. The new USB Type-C connector, built initially on existing USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 technologies, is being developed to help enable thinner and sleeker product designs, enhance usability and provide a growth path for performance enhancements for future versions of USB. This supplement to the USB 3.1 specification is anticipated to be completed by the middle of next year.

Key characteristics of the USB Type-C connector and cable solution include:
  • An entirely new design tailored to work well with emerging product designs
  • New smaller size - similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B
  • Usability enhancements - users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in
  • The Type-C connector and cable will support scalable power charging
  • Scalability - the connector design will scale for future USB bus performance
  •  

The USB Type-C specification is targeted for industry review during the first quarter of 2014 and a final specification is expected to be published by the middle of 2014.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/195346/next-generation-usb-connection-definition-underway.html

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

So from the sounds of it, it's everything micro is but without the disadvantages of it...

SOLD!

cash_wad-of-money-in-hand.jpg

I just hope it is good. Eg it doesn't break like the smaller connectors do. Make something like the Mini USB because that was solid.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I don't know why, but new standards always excite me.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Usability enhancements - users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in

Usability enhancements - users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in

yeahh boyyyy

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It sounds like it will be similar to apples lightning connector.I really hope it is because of how strong the plug is. Hopefully the cable will be the weakest link other than the micro USB's weakest link being the socket itself

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

usb.org has released information about the upcoming upgrade to USB 3.1, which I like to call the USB 3.1v2. They are claiming to release a new type of connector, type-C which has better support for device charging and file transfer over a small connector just like the mini/micro USB.
The difference between the USB type-c connector and micro/mini USB is that they are focusing on:

• An entirely new design tailored to work well with emerging product designs
  • New smaller size – similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B
  • Usability enhancements – users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in
  • The Type-C connector and cable will support scalable power charging
  • Scalability – the connector design will scale for future USB bus performance

Since type-c is a new type of connector this means that the new connector will contain a number of cables and adapter to support the existing USB cables

As the new USB Type-C plug and receptacle will not directly mate with existing USB plugs and 
receptacles (Type-A, Type-B, Micro-B, etc.), the Type-C specification will define passive new-to-existing 
cables and adapters to allow users to use their existing products.

Opinion: I believe that this is pretty cool as I have been through around 30 micro USB cables as my phone has the connector positioned on its side and also this means that most companies won't need to worry about inventing their own types of connectors to ensure best UX since the type-c connector will fix most problems with the current micro/mini USB cables.... I hope.

___________________________________________Fake Horizontal Rule because I cant get the HR tag to work__________________________________________

Source: usb.org

________________________________________Another Fake Horizontal Rule because I cant get the HR tag to work______________________________________

Note for you guys at Linus media group organization, thing, company whatever its called  (no offense ;), I love you guys)
You guys are able to signup for a review draft and I'd love to see you guys review one and I think everyone else agrees

Edit: The Verge also made a post about this
Edit 2: BBC has also made a post about this

USB-Futures.pdf

Anything better than micro USB is a welcome sight for me.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It doesn't say anything about durability but at least if it can be inserted either way then it's a small step in the right direction I guess...

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

I just hope they make something that i can plug in both ways, not try 7 different rotations before it fits. 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

I just hope they make something that i can plug in both ways, not try 7 different rotations before it fits. 

I would suggest reading the post, it will be able to be flipped :) :

• Usability enhancements – users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in

No need to make micro USB seem good by decreasing the average times of rotations required to plug it in, it's more like 12 times and I know you agree ;)

Yes that's what the article says. It will be plugged in both ways. Current micro USB really does need a replacement. And it's about time USB3 got widely used on phones :)

:ph34r:

I would suggest reading the post, it will be able to be flipped :) :

Yes that's what the article says. It will be plugged in both ways. Current micro USB really does need a replacement. And it's about time USB3 got widely used on phones :)

Oh, must have missed that! ;)

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

It doesn't say anything about durability but at least if it can be inserted either way then it's a small step in the right direction I guess...

Well they can hardly make it MORE flimsy <-<

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

well have you ever thought of replacing the hard textured rubber outside casing with a bendable rubber casing? that could do the job, how about we give it a try and see whether it does the job ;p

New smaller size – similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B

Even smaller :mellow:

Can't wait for actual design

Intel Core i5 4670k 》Asus Z87 GRYPHON 》8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz

Asus R9 280 STRIX 3GB》Samsung 840EVO 250gb 》Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Corsair GS 800W 》Corsair 350D Case 》Corsair Hydro H110

New smaller size – similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B

Even smaller :mellow:

Can't wait for actual design

Hence the similar in size. I'm guessing that it won't be allot smaller, only by width probably to add stability 

Anything better than micro USB is a welcome sight for me.

Whats so bad about micro b? Its far better than mini b when it come to portable devices.

I dont have this issue ever really as I know the orientation it should go in.

Micro b 3.0 is horrible and I do avoid it at all costs as the cable is thicker and the connector wider so there is more of a hindge effect which isnt good. I think this is one reason it hasnt made it onto phones and that for the most part it isnt needed.

O but you can just look at microb 3.0. Also the easiest way to make it more sturdy would be to make it go in further.

well have you ever thought of replacing the hard textured rubber outside casing with a bendable rubber casing? that could do the job, how about we give it a try and see whether it does the job ;p

The more bendy and soft the rubber the more it is usually. Also most cheap cablew are covered in a plastic not a rubber which is why their so stiff.

O but you can just look at microb 3.0. Also the easiest way to make it more sturdy would be to make it go in further.

Or have a longer anchor in the casing, which makes more sense since you limit the leverage you'll exert on the connector.

Whats so bad about micro b? Its far better than mini b when it come to portable devices.

I dont have this issue ever really as I know the orientation it should go in.

Micro b 3.0 is horrible and I do avoid it at all costs as the cable is thicker and the connector wider so there is more of a hindge effect which isnt good. I think this is one reason it hasnt made it onto phones and that for the most part it isnt needed.

The more bendy and soft the rubber the more it is usually. Also most cheap cablew are covered in a plastic not a rubber which is why their so stiff.

"caBlew"- K-Blew is see what you did there hehehe, or wasn't it intentional? O.o

Apple will be looking for royalty... claiming it copies their "lightning" connector.

My Rigs (past and present)

Apple will be looking for royalty... claiming it copies their "lightning" connector.

I highly doubt it as USB ports have never been created in the same way Apple's have been, if you look at the past USB and Apple's cables then you can see that they don't really look alike. unless apple is going to be a huge dick face and they're going to find one of their patents which are slightly related to the upcoming type-c cable, then they would most likely sue the hell out of USB

As long as this standard doesn't make you paranoid the damn connector is going to snap off or bend when someone trips over the cord, I'm down for it.

This will definitely make this week's WAN show. I wonder what Linus will have to say about it.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)