Why do people call the Mac Pro expensive?!

StijnDries

I'm just going to interject my opinion in here. I don't think that the Mac Pro is expensive. Yes, it seems like it is when you first look at it, but what other computer have you seen that can cram that much hardware into one small computer? When buying a Mac Pro, you pay for performance, but you're also paying for the design. I think that people who buy a Mac Pro understand this. Design is a big part of it, so Apple is going to charge extra for it.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

I'm just going to interject my opinion in here. I don't think that the Mac Pro is expensive. Yes, it seems like it is when you first look at it, but what other computer have you seen that can cram that much hardware into one small computer? When buying a Mac Pro, you pay for performance, but you're also paying for the design. I think that people who buy a Mac Pro understand this. Design is a big part of it, so Apple is going to charge extra for it.

God forbid anyone charge a premium just for some style. As if this is the first time Apple has pulled this crap.

Same story with the 17" MacBook Pro. I always got the story of how windows laptops would've been cheaper and yea, some were.

But the laptops that had this kind of screen with this hardware and this aluminum build? Guess what kids, at that point they all cost the same. And here's the kicker, the Apple service is why I went with the fruit. Anyone else I need to ship things and potentially get screwed for whatever reason. Apple? The store is 5 minutes away. Walking. In and out. Peace of mind.

For some people that's actually worth it. It's worth a premium. For some. Doesn't make them wrong or right. Sitting here trying to preach won't help.

I have a "overpriced" Apple laptop and a "value", freshly built PC. That must be like dividing by zero for some people here.

God forbid anyone charge a premium just for some style. As if this is the first time Apple has pulled this crap.

Same story with the 17" MacBook Pro. I always got the story of how windows laptops would've been cheaper and yea, some were.

But the laptops that had this kind of screen with this hardware and this aluminum build? Guess what kids, at that point they all cost the same. And here's the kicker, the Apple service is why I went with the fruit. Anyone else I need to ship things and potentially get screwed for whatever reason. Apple? The store is 5 minutes away. Walking. In and out. Peace of mind.

For some people that's actually worth it. It's worth a premium. For some. Doesn't make them wrong or right. Sitting here trying to preach won't help.

I have a "overpriced" Apple laptop and a "value", freshly built PC. That must be like dividing by zero for some people here.

But there is no point in have apple service if the nearest service centre is a 2 hour drive.  It's all end use specific,  and I think that is the crux of @LAwLz argument here.  A mac is not always the best option for an end use and that will make it overpriced, just like an acer or even custom pc will not always be the best option for an end use, and that will make it too cheap.  Seeing as you cannot build an exact replica of the mac it is futile to argue that it is either over priced or not.  It just cant be done. 

when a product has no compromises then it is suitable. If you have two products and they are both suitable (no compromises) but one is cheaper then the other has to be overpriced.  As much as some people won't accept it, in most peoples opinion the mac pro falls into the category of being overpriced.  Especially while there are no compromises for the end use requirements and there are cheaper options that also have no compromises.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Definition of "expensive".

Costing a lot of money.

A computer that costs more than a car is expensive in my books.

It still is expensive.  

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

The thing is, I'm not against the extra charge for the build quality. I think that Apple makes good products and I'm completely fine with the fact that they charge extra for the build quality and design. I would happily pay the amount of money that they're asking for if I truly wanted one.

You are right that every other laptop would cost the same as the Macbook if they had similar build quality. Look at the Razer Blade, it's basically Mac build quality with a Windows OS on it with a focus on gaming and its around the same price. People automatically assume that Macs are overpriced because of the fact that "no one needs that amount of build quality and their OS can't do as much as Windows", but the thing is, Macs have their usage. It might not have the best usage for everything, but I think that people who spend $2K+ on a laptop will have a pretty good idea on its limitations in the first place. And I'm not gonna lie, if you live close to an Apple Store, their service is amazing.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

The thing is, I'm not against the extra charge for the build quality. I think that Apple makes good products and I'm completely fine with the fact that they charge extra for the build quality and design. I would happily pay the amount of money that they're asking for if I truly wanted one.

You are right that every other laptop would cost the same as the Macbook if they had similar build quality. Look at the Razer Blade, it's basically Mac build quality with a Windows OS on it with a focus on gaming and its around the same price. People automatically assume that Macs are overpriced because of the fact that "no one needs that amount of build quality and their OS can't do as much as Windows", but the thing is, Macs have their usage. It might not have the best usage for everything, but I think that people who spend $2K+ on a laptop will have a pretty good idea on its limitations in the first place. And I'm not gonna lie, if you live close to an Apple Store, their service is amazing.

And here is the amusing part for me, should a day come where this 4 year old hunk of aluminum und steel break, I have few options left for 17" powerhouses that are built like this. The Blade Pro is up there. It has the design, it has the construction, it has the internals. 

Everyone is right, it comes down to the individual and what they genuinely need. I almost expect this level of quality and spec, so my options are exceptionally limited if not eradicated in a few years time. 

I have NEVER crapped on anyones purchase of anything. PC, Mac, Apple, Razer, Alienware; don't care. Everyone has their own justifications as to how they spend their money and how they value what they buy, I don't need an explanation and quite honestly I see no reason to give one. 

So many people forget the "do what makes you happy, for thats the only person you should be trying to make happy" approach, and spend far too much time and brainpower arguing these things.

You're also right that people spending 2 grand on a laptop like this or 10 grand on a computer are generally NOT doing it because of hype or marketing. Thats actually the exception, not the norm. 

I knew full well that for what I NEEDED out of a laptop, I'd be paying a hefty sum and I accepted that. And to be honest, to be very honest, this has lasted 4 years. It is probably the BEST computer purchase I've had to make. 2.2 grand back then stung like a mother. It really did. But now apart from a dodgy heatsink that I need to reapply paste to, this thing still kicks. It still does my photoshopping and rendering. IT still works and it refuses to die. 

So I am happy. Very happy. Would I do it again if Apple brought the 17" back? Absofuckinglutely I would. In a heartbeat. 

And here is the amusing part for me, should a day come where this 4 year old hunk of aluminum und steel break, I have few options left for 17" powerhouses that are built like this. The Blade Pro is up there. It has the design, it has the construction, it has the internals. 

Everyone is right, it comes down to the individual and what they genuinely need. I almost expect this level of quality and spec, so my options are exceptionally limited if not eradicated in a few years time. 

I have NEVER crapped on anyones purchase of anything. PC, Mac, Apple, Razer, Alienware; don't care. Everyone has their own justifications as to how they spend their money and how they value what they buy, I don't need an explanation and quite honestly I see no reason to give one. 

So many people forget the "do what makes you happy, for thats the only person you should be trying to make happy" approach, and spend far too much time and brainpower arguing these things.

Very true. It gets kinda ridiculous sometimes. And I'm not going to lie, I kinda wish they would have kept the 17" Macbook. I would have bought one by now if they still had it..

laptops are trash period 

QqkTQSp.gif

ltzlxG8.gif?2

I will do anything to avoid em'

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Can't anyone afford to take a holistic approach these days?

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I think it has to do with 90% of people not needing dual workstation GPUs and high end workstation CPUs so they see it as expensive.

Ok...after all these years, I can't seem to see why we can't just accept the other sides' advantages and simply move on by leaving things where they are. Can we stop bashing Apple/PC for things completely unrelated to the issue at hand, like comparing gaming pcs to workstations?

Aside from the fact that iPhone is worth about 1/4 of the money it sells for (and I'm not going to accept an argument on this topic), Apple makes some pretty innovative things. Don't get me wrong, sure they copy stuff like Samsung and it's OMGWTFBBQ PRAISE APPLE but they do think of things that others haven't yet gotten around to. For example, the move to ARMv8 kinda caught the market by surprise. And this is coming from an Android user who spends his time on XDA doing stuff for his Nexus 5 and Moto Defy.

Back to the Mac Pro, aside from its circular form that is surprisingly similar to that of a garbage can, I see no reason to fret about its price tag. Apple has used high-end components in its Mac Pro lineup ever since the beginning to justify that price tag; I couldn't say the same for Dell and HP that sell $4000 workstations with Xeon E5s and Quadro K2000s. But Apples brings a certain kind of quality to the table. When you open up the Mac Pro, sure, Apple's avoidance of standard ATX components makes upgrading difficult but it's easy to see that Apple makes its products look nice. Again, I couldn't say the same thing for Dell's attention to detail; when you open up a Dell, regardless of whether it's an Inspiron, XPS or Precision, it looks and handles like crap and takes you an hour and a half to sort cables alone.

Furthermore, when you look at a lot of workstations on the market, all of them look like shit. HP's and Dell's workstations look like the two companies are still stuck in the year 2001. Just because one is a professional doesn't mean that one has to sacrifice the variety and quality of enthusiast cases. Sure, if you can, you can build a respectable high-end workstation in a 900D or Antec 1900, but that's only if high end components will still comply by regular computer standards. For example, try to find a quad socket Opteron board that can fit in an ATX/E-ATX case. And not everyone wants to build their own computers (myself not included). Sometimes you just want a high-quality computer that works, and not have a bunch of crappy OEM components that need replacing.

My $0.02. The Mac Pro sells for a reason, but enthusiasts are also here for a reason, and I would think that LTT is an enthusiast/general forum that would not know how to best cater to Mac Pro professionals or people who are interested in Mac Pro.

I call them expensive for students that keep getting them from their parents for some reason. That's just silly 99% of the time.

This isn't for them... It's a god damn workstation. Anyone who gets this for their kid is fucking stupid. Thats what macbooks and imacs are for.

This isn't for them... It's a god damn workstation. Anyone who gets this for their kid is fucking stupid. Thats what macbooks and imacs are for.

I've seen them, it baffles me but I see them :/

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.