Why do people call the Mac Pro expensive?!

StijnDries

I really don't get why people call the Mac Pro expensive... It's actually the cheapest Mac in existence... You pay a lot of money for it, but you get up to a 12-Core Xeon and FirePro D700 (W9000 PCIe version). The PCIe SSD and ECC RAM don't cost a small amount of money either... Try to build a Mac Pro by yourself, with the same aucoustics and size...

Over here in The Netherlands you pay this for all the highest end Mac Pro build by yourself (without case and cooling):

Xeon E5-2697 - 2.400

2x AMD FirePro W9000 - 6.700

64 GB ECC RAM 1866Mhz - 880

OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 960 GB was the closest I could find for SSD's - 1.000

And I couldn't find a motherboard which could handle this all with six Thunderbolt 2 ports and four USB 3 ports.

Total: 10.980 without motherboard and OS

Mac Pro: 9.599

I think that the Mac Pro is about the only computer for extreme professionals who need this amount of power.

I like Apple

**death threats incoming**

its been proven a WHILE ago that it wasnt

What do you mean?

I like Apple

I really don't get why people call the Mac Pro expensive... It's actually the cheapest Mac in existence... You pay a lot of money for it, but you get up to a 12-Core Xeon and FirePro D700 (W9000 PCIe version). The PCIe SSD and ECC RAM don't cost a small amount of money either... Try to build a Mac Pro by yourself, with the same aucoustics and size...

Over here in The Netherlands you pay this for all the highest end Mac Pro build by yourself (without case and cooling):

Xeon E5-2697 - 2.400

And I couldn't find a motherboard which could handle this all with six Thunderbolt 2 ports and four USB 3 ports.

I think that the Mac Pro is about the only computer for extreme professionals who need this amount of power.

I've been telling people this for the longest time, but they don't listen because they believe pcs are so much better.

I call them expensive for students that keep getting them from their parents for some reason. That's just silly 99% of the time.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

People are retarded.

Any high-end workstation is expensive, but yeah all the folks here like to bash Apple, I wouldn't buy a Mac Pro myself but I see professionals buying one with good reasons.

Compact, OSX ( Music/Movie producers ), silent and cool and sleek.

People are retarded.

Any high-end workstation is expensive, but yeah all the folks here like to bash Apple, I wouldn't buy a Mac Pro myself but I see professionals buying one with good reasons.

Compact, OSX ( Music/Movie producers ), silent and cool and sleek.

DUTCH!!!

I like Apple

DUTCH!!!

Yes you are, congratulations. :rolleyes:

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I really hate it when people say in the YouTube comments for example: 'I could build it with the same specs for $750'

I just wanted to make a statement...

I like Apple

Here is something you have to realize... You can't make a 100% comparable computer. Mac fanboys always does this when you try to reason with them. They ask you to build a desktop the same as Apple offers, and no matter how much better the computer you show them is, then will nitpick stuff like "yeah it has twice the RAM, a much better GPU, is upgradable, has a better CPU, is cheaper but the case is not aluminum and it doesn't have Thunderbolt!".

So first thing first, drop the idea that it has to be as similar as possible. What you should compare instead is what other type of computer you could get for the same price.

As soon as you stop trying to make it as much as a Mac Pro as possible, the performance per dollar quickly ramps up.

Oh and yes... It is overpriced. Just because the parts in it are expensive by themselves does not mean you are getting a good deal when buying a Mac Pro. Both the Xeon processor and the FirePro cards are overpriced. You can get the same or better performance for significantly less with more consumer oriented cards. Hell, it's even possible to install the FirePro drivers on your Radeon card, so with that you can save literally thousands of dollars.

Yes you are, congratulations. :rolleyes:

BEERTOPIA, brilliant!

I like Apple

Because people don;t seem to grasp workstations/professional performance on this forum.

They are like ECC ram, pfft pointless 

Workstations cards, pfft get a 780ti for all the gaming that you are NOT going to do

Xeon? pfft get an i7 its like totally the same even though its not

thunderbolt? mate we have usb who wants 20gb/s throuput and daisy chaining

Yeah the Mac Pro is an astounding piece of kit, IF (i really stress this IF part) you have a use for it.

If you want to sit in your bedroom and play call of duty and edit your facebook photos, then its way more cost effective to get an imac/custom desktop or whatever

but  if your job is making professional content, reliably and quickly, then its pretty hard to beat

(now I die from the apple hate)

here is a dell workstation for £3200, just to show that workstations are expensive whoever they are from

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinfo/productinfo?productCode=206007&affiliate=GooglePLA&cm_mmc=google-_-Product_PlusBox-_-Computers-_-206007&catargetid=1892750351&cadevice=c&gclid=CPv86OrKwb0CFQoIwwodklgAAQ

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Here is something you have to realize... You can't make a 100% comparable computer. Mac fanboys always does this when you try to reason with them. They ask you to build a desktop the same as Apple offers, and no matter how much better the computer you show them is, then will nitpick stuff like "yeah it has twice the RAM, a much better GPU, is upgradable, has a better CPU, is cheaper but the case is not aluminum and it doesn't have Thunderbolt!".

So first thing first, drop the idea that it has to be as similar as possible. What you should compare instead is what other type of computer you could get for the same price.

As soon as you stop trying to make it as much as a Mac Pro as possible, the performance per dollar quickly ramps up.

Yes, I get you. I just hate people who say that they can build much faster PC's for less money...

I like Apple

Good god, I had like a 50 post argument over youtube which involved me trying to (and failing to) convince a fanboy that YES, in fact I COULD build a PC with all the same components as his Mac Pro for about the same. He got hung up on the fact that the firepro card Apple uses has a different model number and so it was unique. Even though my alternative would actually work as well or better. It's just like talking to a wall.

Yes, I get you. I just hate people who say that they can build much faster PC's for less money...

They keep saying this and come up with really non-comparable builds with 4770Ks and weird single GPUs for gaming when the Mac Pro is a workstation. Lol

Good god, I had like a 50 post argument over youtube which involved me trying to (and failing to) convince a fanboy that YES, in fact I COULD build a PC with all the same components as his Mac Pro for about the same. He got hung up on the fact that the firepro card Apple uses has a different model number and so it was unique. Even though my alternative would actually work as well or better. It's just like talking to a wall.

Brilliant. I'm a fanboy, it's true, but I'm not so stupid (I think)

I like Apple

But they most likely can, so what's the problem?

Has anyone that it says now 'slicktechtips' or is it just because I just became friends with Luke?

I like Apple

But they most likely can, so what's the problem?

For workstation use? I don't think so :/

I like Apple

Has anyone that it says now 'slicktechtips' or is it just because I just became friends with Luke?

It's a joke from April Fools ( yesterday ) but it's not reversed (yet).

Because a lot of Apple's shit is too expensive for what it is.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

nb4 flamewar

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

For workstation use? I don't think so :/

It's important to note that you can use regular components in workstations. The Titan is a great example of this.

It's important to note that you can use regular components in workstations. The Titan is a great example of this.

The problem I've usually seen is that 99% of builds people claim destroy the Mac Pro are nothing more than gaming rigs.

A 4770k, non-ECC RAM and a 780 or two aren't quite the same in my eyes. A Titan would be more understandable, given its sort of hybrid nature.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Xeon E5-2697 - 2.400

have you not seen Armando's video on this very subject???

Looking for a job