"Totem" is the Oculus Rift’s new competitor

KakaoDj

Source

Nice to see some competition popping up, this is hopefully not the only one  :)

Not so stoked on the 90 degree FOV, but i haven't yet tried VR, so i am not really one to talk. But some people claim that 90 is too little

Specs:

Screen

1080p OLED

Field of view

90 degrees

Connectivity

• HDMI input
  • USB output (tracker)

Sensors

• 2x cameras 1080p
  • 3 axis 1kHz gyro
  • 3 axis 4kHz accel
  • 3 axis magnetometer

Audio

Surround sound over stereo

Emulated controls

• USB mouse
  • Playstation controller
  • Xbox controller

Non-game controls

Up, Down, Select/Real World View

Supported engines

• Unreal
  • Unity
  • Havok
  • CryEngine

Platforms

• PC
  • Playstation 3 and 4
  • Xbox One and 360

Considering how successful the Oculus Rift has been already, it’s a wonder it took anyone almost two years to reveal a competitor. We finally got that last month with Sony’s Morpheus, though only just before Oculus fired back with a Facebook takeover and Devkit 2 pre-orders.However, now there’s another name on the scene: True Player Gear and its Totem headset.

It might look pretty similar to the Rift and its specs aren’t far off, but the Totem does come packing a lot of features the Rift hasn’t yet, which shows that the landscape for VR is really starting to heat up. The Totem uses a 1080p OLED screen, just like the Devkit 2, but it doesn’t have positional tracking. It does however have a pair of cameras which means you can quickly switch to a view of the world around you without taking it off. This also has the potential for augmented reality in the future.

totem.jpg

I like the "Real View" camera idea a lot actually. It's one of my biggest worries about actually using a device like that, having to take it off entirely every time you'd need eyes on your desk or surrounding for whatever reason.

Kinda makes it look even weirder though x3

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

not sure if this is considered repost since the source is new

also people say its RGB OLED which its ODD but awesome if true

edit

what the hell Gsync like ?

The Totem also has its own internal processing, with the idea being that whatever device you plug it into, you’ll be able to play games without fear of the hardware being incapable of rendering stable frame rates. 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Until it is able to work of the same script as what the programmers are writing for Rift then I don't mind seeing a competitor and a good alternative if the whole Oculus accusition goes bad. I also like the design of this one, it looks a lot like a robot's face.

It looks as good/Better than the oculus and they seem like they know what they're doing. I like it

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Totem is also the name of the default Media Player in Gnome Desktop Environment under Linux. Can't these guys come up with different names?

Totem is also the name of the default Media Player in Gnome Desktop Environment under Linux. Can't these guys come up with different names?

they could call it the iFace, or the screenface, or maybe C3P1

Is a mouse supported, but not a keyboard??

pfft only 90 FOV? fuck off

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

And Rift is the name of an MMO. They're all completely different things, nobody's very likely to get them confused.

90fov

only 1080p? (maybe not a bad thing)

current gen and last gen support

yah, this product is going to suck ballz compared to the rift

Lack of good 3d positional tracking, and the fact they havent said the refresh rate makes me worry. Those are two MAJOR things in determining how immersive it is, as well as reducing VR sickness.

Also, id really like to see a company go for a much higher FOV, i feel like its easily possible even if it is more expensive to accomplish.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

1. It's won't come to Ps3/Ps4 Sony would never allow that.
2. Xbox360/ps3 don't have enough hardware to run games in 720p/30Fps and for sure not 1080p/60Fps which you need.

VR needs at least 1080p/60FPS and the Ps4/Ps3/Xbox360/XboxOne can't do it.
(That's why Sonys VR will 100% fail unless they make PC support which is unlikely)

And no way that thing is going to compete with Oculus...
Oculus has more support,better specs,more resources,they already have games in development for it as well as devkits out.
And they have some of the best people in the industry working on it.

RTX2070OC 

Not super exciting but competition is competition nonetheless

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

1. It's won't come to Ps3/Ps4 Sony would never allow that.

2. Xbox360/ps3 don't have enough hardware to run games in 720p/30Fps and for sure not 1080p/60Fps which you need.

VR needs at least 1080p/60FPS and the Ps4/Ps3/Xbox360/XboxOne can't do it.

(That's why Sonys VR will 100% fail unless they make PC support which is unlikely)

And no way that thing is going to compete with Oculus...

Oculus has more support,better specs,more resources,they already have games in development for it as well as devkits out.

And they have some of the best people in the industry working on it.

1. They might release "unofficial support" for them

2. Quote from qwertywarrior: 

The Totem also has its own internal processing, with the idea being that whatever device you plug it into, you’ll be able to play games without fear of the hardware being incapable of rendering stable frame rates. 

1. They might release "unofficial support" for them

2. Quote from qwertywarrior: 

Unofficial support would never meet the quality you need for a good experience.

The thing won't make the game run 1080p/60Fps.

And everything under 60fps will give you blur and motion sickness.

VR isn't a peripheral.

It's platform.

Games have to be made for it or patched for it to get a good experience.

RTX2070OC 

Unofficial support would never meet the quality you need for a good experience.

The thing won't make the game run 1080p/60Fps.

And everything under 60fps will give you blur and motion sickness.

VR isn't a peripheral.

It's platform.

Games have to be made for it or patched for it to get a good experience.

Unofficial support is often the best/only way to go. Several official drivers and software have unofficial versions that work a lot better (Asus Xonar drivers)

when i read the titel i was think about totem media player in linux :)xD

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Dafuq-did-I-just-watch-meme.jpg

the video should be in japanese, this is just wrong

This is already superior or equal to the occulus in everything except the FOV.