Tech Mistakes You Hate

VFXGuy

I am curious if anyone else has any mistakes or things people do tech related that annoy them.

I'll start. When people put the protocol in front of web addresses in advertisements and alike. (https://example.com). I hate even more when people put http in front of it. There are little reasons to not have an SSL certificate.

Check this thread. Similar to what you are talking about.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

32 minutes ago, VFXGuy said:

When people put the protocol in front of web addresses in advertisements and alike.

There is a legitimate reason to do that. It makes it obvious that you are, in fact, looking at a web address and not something else (a social media name for example)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

People playing loose with power and energy in speech. 

The "h" in kWh (or Wh or mWh or MWh) matters and in some circumstances even the context can't help you to know what is being talked about. 

12 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

people leaving laptops plugged in 24/7 bEcauSe ThEy OnLy UsE iT At ThEiR dEsK like no unplug it once in a while, leaving it plugged in 24/7 will oof the battery really fast. 

Mine is plugged in all the time because I only use it at my desk. It’s a lot of hassle to unplug it as it’s in a dock behind my monitors.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

12 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

people leaving laptops plugged in 24/7 bEcauSe ThEy OnLy UsE iT At ThEiR dEsK like no unplug it once in a while, leaving it plugged in 24/7 will oof the battery really fast. 

That's not how batterys work.

Once it's full the power is pulled straight from the brick. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

And yet tests have shown that keeping it fully charged can take a normal laptop with 1000-2000 discharge cycles down to 300 to 500 so.....

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

And yet tests have shown that keeping it fully charged can take a normal laptop with 1000-2000 discharge cycles down to 300 to 500 so.....

Yeah, keeping charged means it discharges less, that how that works.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

I do five tech mistakes before breakfast!

I print out my passwords and keep them in a file folder labelled "passwords"; (really)

I refuse to update my operating systems; (screw it)

I will happily download an run "whatever" from "wherever"; (I'm exaggerating with that one, but not much and probably not more than many here)

I don't, and will not consider using a VPN; (to me that's like, "hey everybody look at me being all secret!")

I keep Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 10 machines all on the same network!  (As soon as I found out I could do that, I did it!)

Never let me anywhere near your systems!

8 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

I do five tech mistakes before breakfast!

I print out my passwords and keep them in a file folder labelled "passwords"; (really)

I refuse to update my operating systems; (screw it)

I will happily download an run "whatever" from "wherever"; (I'm exaggerating with that one, but not much and probably not more than many here)

I don't, and will not consider using a VPN; (to me that's like, "hey everybody look at me being all secret!")

I keep Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 10 machines all on the same network!  (As soon as I found out I could do that, I did it!)

Never let me anywhere near your systems!

Oh gosh, haha. I once accidentally printed out a bunch of my passwords and couldn't be bothered to change them all so just shedded and burnt (in a controlled manor) them.

I read this more as mistakes in the tech itself, so I'll answer as such. 

The Apple Magic Mouse's design. It's the best damn scroll/gesture experience you can get while keeping a mouse, but packaged in a form factor that provides basically negative support for your hand, forcing you to grab it like one of the claw machines, but then they put sharp edges on the damn thing so it cuts into your hand. And on the new rechargeable ones the charging port is on the bottom, so if it dies in the middle of a workday you can't just plug it in and keep going.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Not unlocking your computer's BIOS before selling it/trading/donating. So many perfectly good machines get junked at work due to these locks. (We unlock what we can, but most laptops and some desktops are unbreakable)

Pizza is the best food group

6 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

Not unlocking your computer's BIOS before selling it/trading/donating. So many perfectly good machines get junked at work due to these locks. (We unlock what we can, but most laptops and some desktops are unbreakable)

Let me Guess, HP comes that way?

Installing windows

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

1 minute ago, starry said:

Installing windows

And you found a way to get 15 year old games to be plug and play on Linux?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

And you found a way to get 15 year old games to be plug and play on Linux?

fair

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

Just now, whm1974 said:

Let me Guess, HP comes that way?

The most we get that are BIOS locked are Lenovo laptops (Though we have quite a few HP's as well) .

HP's desktops are super good to unlock (8300, 600 G1), its just a single jumper you take off. Why couldn't they do the same with laptops?

Pizza is the best food group

I think the biggest mistake of the personal computer was that the Operating System doesn't reside in non destructive RAM and loads instantly at power up. I always thought a home computer should be like a Commodore Plus 4. But good. But an OS is a value-added product that needs to be managed, maintained and updated and that's a business opportunity that can't be passed up so it's something we have been saddled with.

1 minute ago, Rex Hite said:

I think the biggest mistake of the personal computer was that the Operating System doesn't reside in non destructive RAM and loads instantly at power up. I always thought a home computer should be like a Commodore Plus 4. But good. But an OS is a value-added product that needs to be managed, maintained and updated and that's a business opportunity that can't be passed up so it's something we have been saddled with.

You NVRAM? Keep in mind the Plus/4 Boot ROM was just BASIC and few small applications. 8 bit applications only take up a few KB of ROM/RAM so that is why the 8 bit Home Computers of the 80's booted up so fast.

The M68K has more Instructions then the x86 CPUs including those that reduce RAM and ROM requirements. Which is why both the Amiga and Atari ST had Complete OSes /GUI built in.

I think the case against an OS in non destructive memory gets less and less compelling with each advancement in capacity.

41 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

On some you can just yoink the BIOS battery for a few minutes, but I've encountered some machines that that doesn't work on.

5 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

uh no that is how batteries work. if you leave them for weeks without putting a cycle on them they will deteriorate very very fast. 

She/Her