Tech Mistakes You Hate

VFXGuy
2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

That shouldn't work (it doesn't work with workstations, at least, none that I've worked with in the last decade), but they often ... if not always ... have an unidentified jumper that bypasses the password (most Dell, HP and Lenovo workstations and laptop I've seen in the last decade have that, not sure about laptops since we never had one that had that issue).

For anyone wondering ; sorry, can't help! I only know of this because of business support on workstations that I worked on and that my company owned since day 1, so don't ask how to find that jumper 😉

Things it does work on:

-Asus m3n78-EM motherboard

-Compaq Presario 1685 laptop

-ThinkPad x61 laptop

Things it doesn't work on:

-HP z620 workstation

As you were saying, pulling the battery doesn't do it, but there's a breakdown of jumpers and ports printed on the inside of the left side panel (a pretty nice feature to tell between the 3 types of the 16 sata ports and etc) that tells you where that jumper is.

And a mistake I hate is how you can find retro laptops on ebay that don't include the charger or battery, but are clearly plugged in and have a battery in the picture. My guess is for chargers, if a surplus company gets 20 retired laptops and 18 matching chargers from a business, then they just sell all of them without chargers. With batteries, probably has to do with shipping weight and shipping restrictions on Li-ion.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

*snip*

Nice to see the password jumper being identified !

I haven't had to use the password jumper in a while, but the last time it was on a 2nd gen Intel Dell and that wasn't identified anywhere. Dell support had the info though.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !