Note to self and others: use quality soldering equipment

Sir_Doge

Confession: Just wasted a $28 keyboard while swapping out its keys. 

Soldering iron was wonky and was leaking AC current. Controller chip got fried.

If you are a beginner please check your iron first before working with it.

Sadly wasted 3hrs and $28 😢

I mean, I agree with your point about using quality equipment. I wouldn't get anything cheaper than a Ksger T12 or in some cases a Pinecil. But I have doubts about the keyboard's cause of death. How did you determine this? Are you sure it's completely fried?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I mean, I agree with your point about using quality equipment. I wouldn't get anything cheaper than a Ksger T12 or in some cases a Pinecil. But I have doubts about the keyboard's cause of death. How did you determine this? Are you sure it's completely fried?

Not fried completely. Leds glow but the FN key doesn't work and some other keys start to trigger on their own specially the ones that have a secondary character.

It was a 60% no name keyboard.

Just now, Sir_Doge said:

Not fried completely. Leds glow but the FN key doesn't work and some other keys start to trigger on their own specially the ones that have a secondary character.

Well, you swapped the switches, didn't you? And what you're describing sounds like a crappy soldering job and/or faulty switches.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Well, you swapped the switches, didn't you? And what you're describing sounds like a crappy soldering job and/or faulty switches.

The switches were new Kailh Box reds. The keyboard came with some unknown YH branded blue clicky switches.

Soldering was okay I think as there were no bridges and all the joints were shiny.

All about that Hakko life. Though some of the best tools and equipment I have used are cheapies I would generally agree that high quality equipment from well known brands is the way to go since you can't always trust that cheaper/unknown companies didn't leave the tip floating at some arbitrary voltage.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Or in the case of what happened, go hot swappable and avoid the soldering all together.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Or in the case of what happened, go hot swappable and avoid the soldering all together.

i don't get why this is more of a thing, and why not, hot swappable buttons could be improved further.

but can be quite expensive, then again for any mechnical keyboard.

-> Moved to Hobby Electronics

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If your iron was "leaking AC current" how did you not get shocked? and if you didn't get shocked then how did you discover the iron was faulty? Because what you described sounds a lot like a shitty job of soldering, if the board was powered off while you were working on it a little juice shouldn't hurt anything.

I just use a $10 Weller iron and it has worked perfectly for about 15 years so far.

Possible that you managed to damage the controller chip with ESD. Any decent iron should have it's tip grounded. If it doesn't, then it's a POS. If it really had 120 VAC on the tip, that controller chip wouldn't work at all. 

I used a Hakko FX888 for years, but when I took a job at the University I got to use a Metcal MX500 for a few days. It was such a night-day difference that I shelled out the $300 for a used MX-500 almost immediately.

I use the STTC-137 tip for almost everything, including most SMD stuff (though almost everything I do with SMD is SOIC chips and 1206 resistors). If I need to solder big connectors, ground planes with via stitching or anything else with a huge thermal mass, the STTC-117 is amazing. You can solder a TO-220 tab down to the ground plane of a 4-layer board (with via stitching 4 layers of ground plane together) with one. 

Also make sure to get some flux and use good quality solder. I like the Kester 63/37 stuff quite a bit. Don't buy the no-clean version- it sucks.

This rings especially true for multimeters as well. If I've whipped out the probes my brain is already working at 100%, I don't need to be worrying if my meter is reading right.