How to calculate price per GB?

kingmustard

I know this will be very simple for many of you, but I can't get my head around the calculation.

If a 4 TB hard drive (let's say 4000 MB, for simplicity's sake) costs £73, how much is that per GB?

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

4 TB = 4000 GB

£73 / 4000 GB = 0,01825 £/GB

I was trying 4000 / 73, and therefore receiving the wrong answer. How frustrating!

Thank you, @Eigenvektor 👍🏻

1 minute ago, kingmustard said:

I was trying 4000 / 73, and therefore receiving the wrong answer. How frustrating!

Thank you, @Eigenvektor 👍🏻

Sure. I mean if you divide GB / Pound you get GB per Pound, rather than Pound per GB 😄 Both are similarly useful for comparison though.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Well,It depends on what kind of GB you are talking about.

Windows: 1 GB = 1024 MB,1 TB = 1024 GB

Manufacturers: 1 GB = 1000 MB,1 TB = 1000 GB

Since most of us use Windows,you will actually get 3904 GB or something like that.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

x per y = x over y = x/y

quite easy to memorize

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Windows uses multiples of 1024  to show file sizes ... 1 KiB = 1024 bytes, 1 MiB = 1024 KiB = 1,048,576 bytes

Hard disk manufacturers use multiples of 1000 , 1 KB = 1000 bytes,  1 MB = 1000 KB = 1,000,000 bytes

The ratio between these is 0.9537

So a 4 TB is approximately 4 TB = 4000 GB = 4,000,000 MB  so you're talking about 73/4000 = 0.01825 pounds per GB  or  0.0191 pounds per GiB if you want the units used in Windows (divide by 0.9537)

30 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

If a 4 TB hard drive (let's say 4000 MB, for simplicity's sake) costs £73, how much is that per GB?

When I make such purchasing decisions, I typically like to use Google Spreadsheets (or similar) to easily see the different options and their comparative pricing.

For example, when I was looking to get a new SSD I made a sheet that had the capacity, price, speed, etc., but also things like the price/GB and price/speed.

A simple version of that sheet would look like this:

image.thumb.png.b9a3971d4826aac64c18d03beab7ca9a.png

You fill in columns A, B, C and D and it will automatically fill out column E.

The formula in E2 and E3 is:

=ROUND(DIVIDE(D2,C2),2)

This basically divides the price, by the capacity, so I know how much each GB costs (and it rounds it to 2 decimals).

The Average cell just takes the average of the rest of column E.

So in short, you divide the price, by the capacity.

So 1TB for 150 currency = 150 / 1000GB = 0.15 currency per GB.

9 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Well,It depends on what kind of GB you are talking about.

Windows: 1 GB = 1024 MB,1 TB = 1024 GB

Manufacturers: 1 GB = 1000 MB,1 TB = 1000 GB

Since most of us use Windows,you will actually get 3904 GB or something like that.

A 4TB hard drive, will show as (roughly) 3.63 TB in Windows, because Windows uses a different system.

They use Gibibytes (GiB), Tibibytes (TiB), etc., where they use the 1024 = 1, instead of 1000 = 1 system.

But anyways, that might not even be relevant to think about.

If you compare all drives by the GB/TB the manufacturer shows, you have an equal comparison.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

So a 4 TB is approximately 4 TB = 4000 GB = 4,000,000 MB  so you're talking about 73/4000 = 0.01825 pounds per GB  or  0.0191 pounds per GiB if you want the units used in Windows (divide by 0.9537)

As long as you use the same factor for the drives you're comparing (1000/1024) it shouldn't really matter which one Windows is using. I'd assume OP is interested which drive offers the best price per GB and you don't need to take into account what size Windows is going to show, since that'll be the same for all of them since manufacturers pretty much universally use 1000 rather than 1024.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, minibois said:

When I make such purchasing decisions, I typically like to use Google Spreadsheets (or similar) to easily see the different options and their comparative pricing.

For example, when I was looking to get a new SSD I made a sheet that had the capacity, price, speed, etc., but also things like the price/GB and price/speed.

A simple version of that sheet would look like this:

image.thumb.png.b9a3971d4826aac64c18d03beab7ca9a.png

You fill in columns A, B, C and D and it will automatically fill out column E.

The formula in E2 and E3 is:

=ROUND(DIVIDE(D2,C2),2)

This basically divides the price, by the capacity, so I know how much each GB costs (and it rounds it to 2 decimals).

The Average cell just takes the average of the rest of column E.

So in short, you divide the price, by the capacity.

So 1TB for 150 currency = 150 / 1000GB = 0.15 currency per GB.

A 4TB hard drive, will show as (roughly) 3.63 TB in Windows, because Windows uses a different system.

They use Gibibytes (GiB), Tibibytes (TiB), etc., where they use the 1024 = 1, instead of 1000 = 1 system.

But anyways, that might not even be relevant to think about.

If you compare all drives by the GB/TB the manufacturer shows, you have an equal comparison.

Thanks for this, I was looking for a way to compare different SDS for my NAS and which capacity is best for the price.