AMD Announces Fidelity FX Super Resolution, their competitor to nvidia DLSS

Juanitology
3 hours ago, Craftyawesome said:

Was there any quality comparisons to other hardware agnostic solutions like TAAU or TSR in motion? DF had some that looked like they weren't in motion at all, which won't have any temporal artifacts. Also, do those temporal solutions have more artifacts than just standard TAA?

I get the impression it’s a lot “better” than TAA whatever that means.  I haven’t heard mention of artifacts one way or the other.  Might be they're using a different term assuming that  was a common thing.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I get the impression it’s a lot “better” than TAA whatever that means.  I haven’t heard mention of artifacts one way or the other.  Might be they're using a different term assuming that  was a common thing.

Impression as in no specific examples?

FSR is not temporal and doesn't have the artifacts I was talking about. Here is an example of the ghosting artifacts TAA can have (this is not motion blur) 

For reference, here is one of DF's comparisons (second comparison here https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-amd-fidelity-fx-super-resolution-fsr-performance-wins-but-what-about-image-quality)

p4LUijW.png

This makes TAAU look better, but this probably isn't in motion. TSR is supposed to be an improvement of TAAU, especially in motion. DLSS 2.x also has some significant similarities, but working on all hardware isn't one. 

8 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

Impression as in no specific examples?

FSR is not temporal and doesn't have the artifacts I was talking about. Here is an example of the ghosting artifacts TAA can have (this is not motion blur) 

For reference, here is one of DF's comparisons (second comparison here https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-amd-fidelity-fx-super-resolution-fsr-performance-wins-but-what-about-image-quality)

p4LUijW.png

This makes TAAU look better, but this probably isn't in motion. TSR is supposed to be an improvement of TAAU, especially in motion. DLSS 2.x also has some significant similarities, but working on all hardware isn't one. 

Re: impression

yup.  No specific examples.  I just watched 3 or 4 people review them head to head is all.  I’m just sort of gestalting what various reviewers seem to be saying, which is more or less FSR isn’t quite as good as DLSS, and you usually can’t push it as hard as DLSS, so maybe one or two levels only without problems, but it’s a lot better than previous stuff.

first link doesn’t work and while the second does it seems be euro gamer which has what amounts to a “we’re going to dig through your machine and sell everything we can find” warning on it which for me is a no go.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Re: impression

yup.  No specific examples.  I just watched 3 or 4 people review them head to head is all.  I’m just sort of gestalting what various reviewers seem to be saying, which is more or less FSR isn’t quite as good as DLSS, and you usually can’t push it as hard as DLSS, so maybe one or two levels only without problems, but it’s a lot better than previous stuff.

first link doesn’t work and while the second does it seems be euro gamer which has what amounts to a “we’re going to dig through your machine and sell everything we can find” warning on it which for me is a no go.

Yeah, DLSS 2.x vs FSR seems pretty settled, but comparisons of FSR vs TAAU or TSR seem pretty sparse.

IDK why the reddit link doesn't work. Maybe embed problem?

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/9qeudx/anyone_know_how_to_fix_this

https://v.redd.it/j5f4vh129rt11/DASH_9_6_M?source=fallback

I can't force you to look at the second, so I guess just another screenshot of the page, this time png and 4k

341245981_FSRTAAU.png

Peeps are getting hung up pixel peeping and focusing on image quality that the one big factor is often overlooked or glossed over by DF, that the feature/tech works on BOTH AMD GPUs (right down to RX 47/480/570/58 and up) and nVidia GTX 1000 series (would suggest at least a min of GTX 1060 and higher. Steve of GN had also said that the GTX 900 series works (though not officially verified/certified by AMD which more or less certified it for the GTX 1000 series).

I've tried it on my GTX 1080 on Godfall at 'Quality' preset at 4K and snagged about 40fps to 60fps which is quite playable. Looks great, and more importantly, allowed me to play Godfall at 4k with acceptable framerate. And honestly, while I'm playing the game, it looked good as I don't stop the game and zoom in/pixel peep as I'd be running around hacking and slashing.

A guy in the local forum tried Godfall at 4K native, said it was playable at about 70fps, but when he'd tried it with FSR at 'Ultra Quality', framerate went up to 90fps and it was overall smoother. He has an RTX 3080 and had said the PQ at Ultra Quality was very good, better than he'd expected.

I didn't bother using FSR on my main rig as my 6900 XT can handle the game at 'Epic' setting plus RT enabled and still net about 100fps at 3840x1080. Without RT, I'd snag about 120fps....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

With Ultra Quality you basically can't tell the difference unless pixel hunting side by side, but you gain what, 30% boost? I'd say that's pretty good deal at any moment.

I'm convinced the biggest winner for this is current gen consoles. It gives them a 20-30% performance boost minimum at 4k with little drop in quality. From what little info has been released on the dev side, it takes at most a day or two to implement and test(Since certain implementations of AA apparently play nicer with it than others) which makes it an effectively free performance toggle for them to implement.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried FSR in a proper full game now. Necromunda: Hired Gun and I must say at Ultra Quality FSR and Quality DLSS, there is very little difference if any. At Performance FSR and Performance DLSS, DLSS felt a bit sharper and better defined on fine details like hanging chains.

The thing is, DLSS requiring RTX card already limits the scope and you have cards more than capable of rendering native 1080p or 1440p on max easily. FSR on other hand since it works on any graphic card, will benefit users of I don't know, RX 460. Cards that most likely struggle to run such games really well and you don't want to cut down visual effects by disabling them. There, even something like Balanced FSR looks pretty good. I also applied ReShade CAS on top and it restored some sharpness although at Performance FSR it created a bit of halo effect within textures due to lower resolution. But did improve sharpness so it's usable. Might post some comparisons since it's easy to flip between settings without any game restarts or level reloads.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

will benefit users of I don't know, RX 460.

Didn't and only support it for rx500 and newer?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Nope, I think it support all DX11 compatible GPU. 🤔

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

9 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Nope, I think it support all DX11 compatible GPU. 🤔

I could've sworn some of the slides said Rx500 and up or gtx10 and up

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Originally yes, but then they included RX 400 series as well.Untitled.thumb.png.e307629be2d72778450da0f53b29ecd5.png

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

57 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

We’ll see what AMD supports what it can run on and what it will run on are often different things.  I actually suspect more Nvidia cards will have it offered for them than AMD cards because AMD can screw NVIDIA this way through its fanboys. If someone has a 1060 and they want to migrate to 1440p they can do it with a download instead of shelling out for a 3060.  Repeat business is big with video cards and AMD can heavily negatively affect the profitability of their competitor by making cars they already sold and don’t make money on last longer with little effort.  For isnstance while it will run on a 580 AMD might not put it out for the 580 to get people to buy their new low end card.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I read it use a modified Lanczos algorithm for resampling + sharpening filter(rCAS). Both operation can be run on most modern GPU.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I don't see a reason why it couldn't run on even R9-390X. It's DX11 graphic card and FSR is not really a driver feature. FSR stuff is done by the game engine essentially. Graphic card isn't really specifically aware of it as far as I know.

I saw a vid with someone from a related Hardware Canuck site who'd tried it on an R9 290X and it worked, he'd tried Godfall with it. The thing about FSR is, if it works, it works, so we can conclude that it would work with all FSR titles, perhaps some better than others.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

3 hours ago, GamerDude said:

I saw a vid with someone from a related Hardware Canuck site who'd tried it on an R9 290X and it worked, he'd tried Godfall with it. The thing about FSR is, if it works, it works, so we can conclude that it would work with all FSR titles, perhaps some better than others.

I mean, FSR should technically work on any graphic card that supports DX11 and above. So, we're talking Radeon HD5000 series (HD5870) from late 2009 and GeForce GTX 400 series (GeForce GTX 480) from early 2010. Assuming those could run the game even on FSR Performance mode at any sort of playable rate. Which is a higher chance than without it anyways.

Wine just added FSR support. Gonna try it tonight.

43 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Ooohhh... FSR for the Steam Deck?
Would make all the sense in the world.

It also upscales the HUD, which will probably make things harder to read, but supports all games (with either Vulkan or DxVK).
Not sure if would work for the Deck though. Target resolution already is very low (720p). Upscaling from 640p will look like a potato. This is where DLSS would shine (there are some videos showing games upscaled from 240p to 720p using DLSS Ultra Performance and it doesn't look that abominable).

On 6/23/2021 at 2:17 AM, illegalwater said:

We must have different definitions of the word "impressive"

It only really "shines" at 4K on the highest quality setting, then proceeds to jump off a cliff. At 1440p it's noticeably worse, and its unusable at 1080p IMO.

Hasn't his Kingshunt TAAU vs FSR vs Native comparisons been proven to be faulty? His TAAU motion capture is better because TAAU disables DOF, which was present in both native and FSR, hence the image quality difference (blurriness on both Native and FSR, he should have noticed that Native wasn't as good as TAUU, but chose to ignore it) FSR vs TAUU isn't as bad as Alex had painted it (intentionally or not, I can't say).

Now, how could he, meaning DF, have made such a mistake when analyzing and comparing PQ is their bread and butter? Sure, it could have been an honest mistake, but it could just as well be intentional to highlight the negatives of FSR. DF is, after all, all in when it comes to DLSS as they're said to be an nVidia shill (in other forums, and Reddit).

4 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Hasn't his Kingshunt TAAU vs FSR vs Native comparisons been proven to be faulty? His TAAU motion capture is better because TAAU disables DOF, which was present in both native and FSR, hence the image quality difference (blurriness on both Native and FSR) isn't as bad as Alex had painted it. Now, how could he, meaning DF, have made such a mistake when analyzing and comparing PQ is their bread and butter? Sure, it could have been an honest mistake, but it could just as well be intentional to highlight the negatives of FSR. DF is, after all, all in when it comes to DLSS.

So many acronyms… 

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So many acronyms… 

You seriously don't expect me to type 'em out all the time, do you? My fingers would cramp up!🤪