AMD Announces Fidelity FX Super Resolution, their competitor to nvidia DLSS

Juanitology
17 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

It also upscales the HUD, which will probably make things harder to read, but supports all games (with either Vulkan or DxVK).
Not sure if would work for the Deck though. Target resolution already is very low (720p). Upscaling from 640p will look like a potato. This is where DLSS would shine (there are some videos showing games upscaled from 240p to 720p using DLSS Ultra Performance and it doesn't look that abominable).

For when playing directly on the Deck, sure, but they're also marketing it as a proper computer that you can dock and output to a larger screen - that's when FSR makes a hell of a lot of sense for the device. Keep the 720p rendering resolution but upscale it with FSR.

17 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Hasn't his Kingshunt TAAU vs FSR vs Native comparisons been proven to be faulty? His TAAU motion capture is better because TAAU disables DOF, which was present in both native and FSR, hence the image quality difference (blurriness on both Native and FSR, he should have noticed that Native wasn't as good as TAUU, but chose to ignore it) FSR vs TAUU isn't as bad as Alex had painted it (intentionally or not, I can't say).

Now, how could he, meaning DF, have made such a mistake when analyzing and comparing PQ is their bread and butter? Sure, it could have been an honest mistake, but it could just as well be intentional to highlight the negatives of FSR. DF is, after all, all in when it comes to DLSS as they're said to be an nVidia shill (in other forums, and Reddit).

The written article has a correction and new screenshots fwiw. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-amd-fidelity-fx-super-resolution-fsr-performance-wins-but-what-about-image-quality

As for why, I would probably assume it was the rush to get a day one review.

23 hours ago, Rauten said:

For when playing directly on the Deck, sure, but they're also marketing it as a proper computer that you can dock and output to a larger screen - that's when FSR makes a hell of a lot of sense for the device. Keep the 720p rendering resolution but upscale it with FSR.

Deck's display is 1280x800. There is really not much point in upscaling. 1280x720 to that. You can just render native and you'll lose maybe 1-2fps from that. 960x480 to 1280x800 would be meaningful, but in all these situations you're then creating this weird CPU limited scenarios where you'll not gain much or anything by all this magic upscaling.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Deck's display is 1280x800. There is really not much point in upscaling. 1280x720 to that. You can just render native and you'll lose maybe 1-2fps from that. 960x480 to 1280x800 would be meaningful, but in all these situations you're then creating this weird CPU limited scenarios where you'll not gain much or anything by all this magic upscaling.

I think what he is saying is that with an external,say, 1080p monitor, you could FSR up to that resolution and still keep some decent speed. It might just not render above that resolution of course in which case there’s no point.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I think what he is saying is that with an external,say, 1080p monitor, you could FSR up to that resolution and still keep some decent speed. It might just not render above that resolution of course in which case there’s no point.

Oh, yeah, for external, sure. From native 1280x800 to something like 1920x1080 should look pretty decent. You'd be getting Full HD resolution with essentially no extra performance hit using FSR in such way.

8 hours ago, Craftyawesome said:

The written article has a correction and new screenshots fwiw. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-amd-fidelity-fx-super-resolution-fsr-performance-wins-but-what-about-image-quality

As for why, I would probably assume it was the rush to get a day one review.

But, was the original review taken down due to that critical mistake? IF they didn't remove it, quite possible many who'd googled FSR review would still see that original vid with that Kingshunt comparison and still conclude that TAAU is much better than FSR. I betcha, if they had made a similar mistake with nVidia, they'd have remove the video review, but that's just me. Alex, DF in general, is quite the nVidia shill, he did not even apologize to viewers and readers for that glaring mistake (intentional or not, one can only surmise).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

DLSS is better at really low resolutions, but at higher ones, they are nearly the same. Necromunda at 1440p Quality and Ultra Quality, basically the same thing. I was flipping between FSR, DLSS and native and frankly I had to really look closely to spot something. Which means you're not going to even notice it while being occupied by other things like actually playing the game.

What I do wonder is if Lanczos is used as resizing algorithm, I wonder if something like S-Spline Max developed by BenVista could be used (or just using same approach). Photoshop, as far as I know

Some examples:

https://www.benvista.com/photozoompro/examples

It's matter of processing time then, but surely you'd gain more from dropping resolution than losing from upscaling process. Maybe if they only used it for Ultra Quality.

I've used this algorithm once by breaking video apart into individual frames, processing them with S-Spline Max and then stitching them back together and my god the image quality was amazing for upscaled image. Especially on details where even Lanczos just makes everything blurry.