Favorite and least favorite Asian languages?

Triggeravus

Japanese sounds very relaxing when spoken.

Vietnamese just sounds...odd.   My best friend speaks it and it sounds alien to me.  I don't think I could ever pronounce some of those words. 

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

I experience is differently, Japanese to me sounds very harsh. But favourite and least favourite based on sound? I have heard too little of those languages to make a choice, not to mention that I don't speak a single one of them. Korean would probably be my preference due to the fact that I listen to Blackpink and watch a Korean food YouTuber (Maangchi). Whatever the language is that the Asian woman above me occasionally speaks also doesn't sound pleasant because it sounds extremely nasal.

Yes I mean how it makes you feel when you hear it spoken.  I don't know any Asian languages fluently either so can't go on anything other than that.  Maybe others have more insight on the actual language itself. 

Best: Japanese or Korean. 

Worst: most of Southeast Asia tbh.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Vietnamese is definitely strange with those glottalized consonants, but I like it.

Japanese is obviously my favorite, I consider it to be one of the best sounding languages there is. I especially like the way it sounds when sung. I’m currently learning it and intend to continue learning it in college. 

11 hours ago, VFXGuy said:

I'm learning Chinese.

Chinese sounds like it would be so hard for a non-native speaker to tune his ear for with all the tones. Though as someone studying Japanese, I really envy how much more elegant hanzi is in Chinese vs kanji in Japanese, reading kanji can be such a bastard in Japanese with how many readings many kanji have. But the sound system is pretty easy for a native English speaker other than the ふ sound which is more like hu than fu. And then the nasalized versions of が、ぎ、ぐ、げ、ご (ga, gi, gu, ge, go) can be tough to say.

5 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Chinese sounds like it would be so hard for a non-native speaker to tune his ear for with all the tones. Though as someone studying Japanese, I really envy how much more elegant hanzi is in Chinese vs kanji in Japanese, reading kanji can be such a bastard in Japanese with how many readings many kanji have. But the sound system is pretty easy for a native English speaker other than the ふ sound which is more like hu than fu. And then the nasalized versions of が、ぎ、ぐ、げ、ご (ga, gi, gu, ge, go) can be tough to say.

Completely agree. It is.

i can speak mandarin chinese decently, i can't read or write it well though. the four (main) tones are fine for me, but i can definitely see how non natives might have trouble picking them up. seeing as how tone can change meaning so much (狗 - dog, 勾 - hook, both put in pinyin as gou but different tones), definitely a problem. and don't get me started on the other dialects...parents grew up in beijing, we speak what some might call "pekingese". very difficult for me to understand other dialects, even ones that may be considered mandarin. and written chinese is cursed to me, so many characters with so many strokes to memorise.

was learning japanese at school (weird ass term schedule made it first half of year), i'm finding i like it more than chinese, i can get my point across with without understanding a ton of kanji. also, i think it also sounds nice in song.

also not cursed grammar is nice for both! *mumbles about german and 6 different ways to say the*

as for my least favourite, spoken vietnamese sounds very odd to me as well, and sometimes characters from vietnamese(and other languages) look odd in text due to lousy fonts or font support, but that's not vietnamese's fault

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh