How do I convince my dad that he has not been hacked...and maybe myself too?

isjosh

I suspect he saw one too many of those evil pop-ups, and he says that he has been getting more spam e-mail (are gmail's antispam filters having trouble?)

The forum has this old guide https://linustechtips.com/topic/90213-malware-removal-guide/ , which I can get him to run, but at the same time I suspect part of it is there is no way to prove a negative. Maybe a better question is if you had to do something securely on a computer that required connecting to the internet (an important detail as it removes air gaps), how would you go about doing it to be as safe as is reasonably possible?

He has even spoken to me about converting to Linux partially for this reason, which I do  not believe is a solution. Or is it?

3 minutes ago, isjosh said:

I suspect he saw one too many of those evil pop-ups, and he says that he has been getting more spam e-mail (are gmail's antispam filters having trouble?)

The forum has this old guide https://linustechtips.com/topic/90213-malware-removal-guide/ , which I can get him to run, but at the same time I suspect part of it is there is no way to prove a negative. Maybe a better question is if you had to do something securely on a computer that required connecting to the internet (an important detail as it removes air gaps), how would you go about doing it to be as safe as is reasonably possible?

He has even spoken to me about converting to Linux partially for this reason, which I do  not believe is a solution. Or is it?

get kaspersky internet protector , it is 3.99 usd a month

i5-9400f

corsair 16gb (2x8) kit + 4x1 gb microsoft stick both 2666

asrock b350m pro4 lga 1151 

intel ax-210 wifi card

msi rx 580 8gb 

nzxt h510 airflow case white

650w thermaltake gold

512gb nvme 

1tb wd blue

1tb seagate external

Ad blockers, and a lot of them for browsing.

Run as a limited user under Windows

Can't do anything about spam in gmail.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, LTT_fanboy said:

get kaspersky internet protector , it is 3.99 usd a month

Doesn't this just add another attack surface?

4 minutes ago, isjosh said:

Doesn't this just add another attack surface?

no its trusted my more than 400 million people , i use it and i have no more problems , scans ur pc for any malware viruses , or threats , and cleans them off.

i5-9400f

intel ax-210 wifi card

msi rx 580 8gb 

650w thermaltake gold

512gb nvme 

1tb wd blue

1tb seagate external

2 minutes ago, LTT_fanboy said:

no its trusted my more than 400 million people , i use it and i have no more problems , scans ur pc for any malware viruses , or threats , and cleans them off.

And so does the build in windows defender, and its included with windows. Paying for antivirus isn't needed for most users, windows defender has gotten pretty good now

IMO AdBlocker is all you need unless you regularly visit janky sites for your wanky. 

Other than that you should regularly do offsite or at least offline backups of your important data so even if your PC gets bricked you still have everything. 

And then you make secure passwords for your accounts and use 2FA.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

14 minutes ago, LTT_fanboy said:

trusted my more than 400 million people

But not the gov't in USALand, which ought to tell you something.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

If he's gullible enough to believe those pop-up, he's probably gullible enough to click it, which may infect his PC for real, just saying

Might also explain why he's getting spam emails because he probably filled in a form or something

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

If he's gullible enough to believe those pop-up, he's probably gullible enough to click it, which may infect his PC for real, just saying

Might also explain why he's getting spam emails because he probably filled in a form or something

As long as there is money in something people will try to exploit it. In security you have to be right all the time. They can fail most of the time and come out ahead. Smart people are always the easiest to con.

I run a combination of Windows Defender and uBlock browser addin.

I have not had any malware/adware in the last 5 years or so.

As far as spam emails, your best bet is to just delete/block them and/or report them so your providers spam filter can increase its intelligence.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

20 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

I run a combination of Windows Defender and uBlock browser addin.

I have not had any malware/adware in the last 5 years or so.

As far as spam emails, your best bet is to just delete/block them and/or report them so your providers spam filter can increase its intelligence.

This is exactly it, I do not think he has anything because his evidence is just the same crap we all deal with, but I do not know how to prove a negative.

14 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

Why not just download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool? It is free, it scans for viruses and removes them only when you ask it, it does not work as a hidden process, and is not bloated af. 

that what is was talking about

i5-9400f

intel ax-210 wifi card

msi rx 580 8gb 

650w thermaltake gold

512gb nvme 

1tb wd blue

1tb seagate external

On 5/18/2021 at 3:12 PM, isjosh said:

That's easy. Wipe the system and reinstall. That way you can both be sure nothing is compromised.

After that you will have to follow safe online practices for which there are many resources to guide you.

Start using an ad blocker ASAP.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3