advantage of using 4K screen resolution od phones?

frozensun

Hi guys,well I want to ask you smart question and I really don't know the answer.

I got myself used Note 10 plus and because of the battery issue I switched to 1080p resolution to save some battery.

Then I opened some webpage like lets say <removed by staff>.

From what I know on monitors,higher resolution on monitor gives more web content on screen,so on my 1440p monitor I can see more webcam models on screen compared to 1080p monitor.

I thought then it's the same with phone screens,increasing resolution to 4K,I'll see more webcam models then 2 cams per line which was not the case,switching screen to 4K I haven't seen any difference.

So is it suppose to be like that,or I'm missunderstanding something here?

Why won't it work like on PC monitors/screen?

How can we take advantage of 4K on phones,in my case on Note 10 plus?
Does it have advantage switching to 4K when viewing websites,besides videos ofc?
Even when watching videos I doubt anyone (any human eye) will notice difference on 6.8 " screen with 1080p vs 4K on Note 10 plus.

Edited by SansVarnic
Really????

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Phones have BY FAR better scaling. They display content according to screen size and basically ignore resolution entirely. They'll still display at the resolution you selected but simply scale all the content to what it is supposed to look like according to the phone on that size screen.

On another note anything above 1080p on a 6inch or even 7 inch device is just stupid. You cannot see a difference and are only paying more for it and consuming more battery.

The only way to show more if to lower the scaling factor which is not always possible on every device.

Because there is resolution based scaling (pretty shit, its what Windows uses).

And there is size based scaling, which will need to have some PPI info. So even if you change the resolution you will most likely still see the same things/amount.

edit

(Oh seems i was just saying the same things @jaslionsaid, but worse. Use his/her advice! 🙂 )

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

<removed by staff>

7 hours ago, jaslion said:

Phones have BY FAR better scaling. They display content according to screen size and basically ignore resolution entirely. They'll still display at the resolution you selected but simply scale all the content to what it is supposed to look like according to the phone on that size screen.

On another note anything above 1080p on a 6inch or even 7 inch device is just stupid. You cannot see a difference and are only paying more for it and consuming more battery.

The only way to show more if to lower the scaling factor which is not always possible on every device.

So 4K screen on phones is useless?
I could go simply with phones who have full HD plus res and won't notice any difference compared to Note 10 plus?
Then this is just marketing,paying a lot for 4k on 6.8 " which I suppose is totally useless.
It all comes to ppi yeah gives 490 ppi but any difference above 400 ppi is not visable to human eye.

I got Note 10 plus because I thought that bigger resolution=more website content per page.

Edited by SansVarnic

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

8 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Yes why not,for better understanding.

I could go simply with phones who have full HD plus res and won't notice any difference compared to Note 10 plus?
Then this is just marketing,paying a lot for 4k on 6.8 " which I suppose is totally useless.
It all comes to ppi yeah gives 490 ppi but any difference above 400 ppi is not visable to human eye.

I got Note 10 plus because I thought that bigger resolution=more website content per page.

But you're normally right about the more website content.   

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

7 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Because <?> is much better on a 1440p UW than a 6 inch (no pun intended) phone screen 🙂

Any idea how many <?> windows I can have open?  Yeah.  

All about perspective, man.  But I do understand the need to sneak some fun once in a while on the tiny phone.

The note10+ is a wonderful phone, i know i gots one.
But yeah its no comparison to 3 monitors side by side. 😄

7 hours ago, frozensun said:

Well im not sure about your eyes, but my eyes can clearly see the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 6" screen.
Since you hold it so much closer the resolution does matter some. But under 7" 4K might be a bit to far. Also seeing it requires way more power to 'push' all those pixels to it.

Edited by SansVarnic

4 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

But you're normally right about the more website content.   

I don't see any difference opening website,tried like anandtech.com same content on 1080p and 4k.

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

The note10+ is a wonderful phone, i know i gots one.
But yeah its no comparison to 3 monitors side by side. 😄

Well im not sure about your eyes, but my eyes can clearly see the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 6" screen.
Since you hold it so much closer the resolution does matter some. But under 7" 4K might be a bit to far. Also seeing it requires way more power to 'push' all those pixels to it.

Naah no way,human eyes can not make a difference on more then 400 ppi on screens,so anything above 400 ppi human eye can not differentiate.

I assume i'ts 400 ppi,maybe is 320 dunno,but I remember that.Ž
So telling me you see a difference on 6.8" is a joke. 😉

Just like getting a 4K 13" laptop is kinda pointless in my opinion, then same is true for phones.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I don't see any difference opening website,tried like anandtech.com same content on 1080p and 4k.

Yes for that to change you will have to change your PPI settings.

Like said before its independent of resolution.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Naah no way,human eyes can not make a difference on more then 400 ppi on screens,so anything above 400 ppi human eye can not differentiate.

I assume i'ts 400 ppi,maybe is 320 dunno,but I remember that.Ž
So telling me you see a difference on 6.8" is a joke. 😉

That is your opinion. 😉

Most of those tests that have been done are at TV distances, when you use a phone thats mostly pretty damn close to your face. Which makes seeing such stuff way easier.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Yes for that to change you will have to change your PPI settings.

Like said before its independent of resolution.

But changing just resolution gives more ppi,right?
So why don't I get more website content?

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

But changing just resolution gives more ppi,right?
So why don't I get more website content?

Because the scaling (on Android/phone) is dependent on screen-size not resolution.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Because the scaling (on Android/phone) is dependent on screen-size not resolution.

Oooh okay.

So I assume that in order to change PPI need to root the phone and install custom ROM?

25 minutes ago, frozensun said:

On android it is as simple as bigger screen = more content to an extent.

You don't even need more than full hd. Simply put a 7 inch screen is far too small to notice the difference between 1080p or 4k. Hell there are 6,5inch 720p phone and those get away with it too you can notice it when you look for it on those but the moment you jump to 900p it already gets extremely hard.

Anything higher than 1080p on a phone is basically just marketing with numbers.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

On android it is as simple as bigger screen = more content to an extent.

You don't even need more than full hd. Simply put a 7 inch screen is far too small to notice the difference between 1080p or 4k. Hell there are 6,5inch 720p phone and those get away with it too you can notice it when you look for it on those but the moment you jump to 900p it already gets extremely hard.

Anything higher than 1080p on a phone is basically just marketing with numbers.

Totally agree,so it was just waste of money,because most expensive component on this phone is screen.
But I was so wrong with more website content,but I understood what @HanZie82 wrote.
I know there was on my good old Note 3 custom ROMS where you could increase PPI,dunno about it on 10 plus but then again I assume don't need it.
But watching 4K vids on this screen or high res pics,does it make a difference compared to 1080p screen?

13 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Totally agree,so it was just waste of money,because most expensive component on this phone is screen.
But I was so wrong with more website content,but I understood what @HanZie82 wrote.
I know there was on my good old Note 3 custom ROMS where you could increase PPI,dunno about it on 10 plus but then again I assume don't need it.
But watching 4K vids on this screen or high res pics,does it make a difference compared to 1080p screen?

Nope. It's too small to be able to see a difference so watching 4k is a waste of data and or space too. There basically is no reason to do anything above 1080. It really is just "woaaaah look at the numbers dude you need these numbers they are amazing numbers" :p.

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Nope. It's too small to be able to see a difference so watching 4k is a waste of data and or space too. There basically is no reason to do anything above 1080. It really is just "woaaaah look at the numbers dude you need these numbers they are amazing numbers" :p.

Damn 😢
Ok guys,thank you for kind replies.

51 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Just like getting a 4K 13" laptop is kinda pointless in my opinion, then same is true for phones.

The "point" isn't about having 4K's worth of screen real estate. Its a luxury and incredible to look at and that's its only point IMO. My 13" Dell XPS has a 3200x1800 display which isn't quite 4K but still incredibly high resolution for a 13" display and its absolutely gorgeous with such a high PPI. Really gives it that high end feeling to use and with 150% scaling, everything is super easy to read. 

Just now, rickeo said:

The "point" isn't about having 4K's worth of screen real estate. Its a luxury and incredible to look at and that's its only point IMO. My 13" Dell XPS has a 3200x1800 display which isn't quite 4K but still incredibly high resolution for a 13" display and its absolutely gorgeous with such a high PPI. Really gives it that high end feeling to use and with 150% scaling, everything is super easy to read. 

As long as you can tell in a blind A-B comparison for a day-to-day scenario, then guess it may make sense for some. Otherwise its just bias through knowing it is 4K and knowing that money was spent to get this functionality.

6 minutes ago, For Science! said:

As long as you can tell in a blind A-B comparison for a day-to-day scenario, then guess it may make sense for some. Otherwise its just bias through knowing it is 4K and knowing that money was spent to get this functionality.

At that size and res, you'd have to be blind to not be able to tell the difference. 

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

Oooh okay.

So I assume that in order to change PPI need to root the phone and install custom ROM?

Custom ROM and root are NOT needed.

(Samsung has made great efforts to make sure Custom Rom and such are not as needed as back in the day. aka i can customize almost everything on the phone without needing root or Custom ROM. Still not as great as full access, but still.)

Guessing you have already opened the Developer options.

In there scroll down to "Minimum width" (standard/original is 411 DPI)

Screenshot_97.png

Just in case you havent opened Developer options here is how:

1. Launch the Settings app on your Galaxy Note 10 (or any Android phone that is recent enough).
  2. Go to about phone (all the way at the bottom).
  3. Navigate and tap on 'Software Information'.
  4. Locate the 'Build Number' and tap on it 7 times to enable the developer options.
  5. The Developer Options will now be available on the Settings menu at the very end of the page below About Phone.

-= Topic Cleaned =-

In the future lets be a bit more mature about our posting. Hmm? 🤔

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don't know why you'd want to get a 4K phone (the Note 10 Plus is 1440p, not 4K) and then try to cram more info into the screen. Unless you have exceptional vision or put the phone a couple of inches from your face, you'd just strain your eyes.

I wouldn't say that anything above 1080p is useless on a phone, but 1440p only offers a slight advantage... and Sony's 4K phones are purely about bragging rights. I would only want to go beyond 1440p when there's virtually no performance or battery life penalty, and then only to say that the look is effectively "perfect."

On 5/12/2021 at 7:09 PM, HanZie82 said:

Custom ROM and root are NOT needed.

(Samsung has made great efforts to make sure Custom Rom and such are not as needed as back in the day. aka i can customize almost everything on the phone without needing root or Custom ROM. Still not as great as full access, but still.)

Guessing you have already opened the Developer options.

In there scroll down to "Minimum width" (standard/original is 411 DPI)

Screenshot_97.png

Just in case you havent opened Developer options here is how:

1. Launch the Settings app on your Galaxy Note 10 (or any Android phone that is recent enough).
  2. Go to about phone (all the way at the bottom).
  3. Navigate and tap on 'Software Information'.
  4. Locate the 'Build Number' and tap on it 7 times to enable the developer options.
  5. The Developer Options will now be available on the Settings menu at the very end of the page below About Phone.

ooooh great,will try this today.So increasing ppi I will get more webpage content per screen,right?
What advantages do I get increasing ppi?