Motherboards that support a lot of RAM

Hello,

I'm looking for motherboards that support a lot of RAM more than 256GB, and not only server boards if they exist

DDR3 or DDR4, doesn't matter

Edit: I'm looking for low cost as possible, I'm planning to run tests on it, it can even sit open on the desk 

Thanks!

Just now, emosun said:

Is there a reason you cant use a server board

I just want to use it with more standard hardware, but if not, I don't mind looking at server boards

I want the cheapest possible, forgot to mention that but will edit post, thank you

the reason only server (or high end 'enthousiast'/workstation platforms) support a lot of memory, is because a regular desktop processor doesnt support more than 4 sticks.

if you want to combine "fairly normal hardware" with "buckets of RAM", threadripper pro is probably your way to go.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the reason only server (or high end 'enthousiast'/workstation platforms) support a lot of memory, is because a regular desktop processor doesnt support more than 4 sticks.

if you want to combine "fairly normal hardware" with "buckets of RAM", threadripper pro is probably your way to go.

thank you!

Then if I go to server, is there any budget server board that you recommend ?

Just now, Filingo said:

thank you!

Then if I go to server, is there any budget server board that you recommend ?

budget and server dont mix well...

your best bet to have lots of memory in a server on a budget, is to buy a second hand HP ProLiant or dell PowerEdge, and a pair of earplugs.

I guess slightly older Xeon setups, if the goal is just capacity

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10DAL-i
this will support up to 256gb of ecc ddr3, or 1tb of super meme memory, they sell for around 350$ new and 250$ used, a pair of Xeon e5 2600 series will be anywhere from 180-500$ depending on the specific pair of cpus, 256gb of ram for it will cost more than a down payment on a decent used car, 1tb of ram for it will cost more than a new car 

For example a single 128gb 2666mhz 3ds LRDIMM will cost 650-800$, and you need 2 at minimum, or 8 total

10 hours ago, 8tg said:

I guess slightly older Xeon setups, if the goal is just capacity

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10DAL-i
this will support up to 256gb of ecc ddr3, or 1tb of super meme memory, they sell for around 350$ new and 250$ used, a pair of Xeon e5 2600 series will be anywhere from 180-500$ depending on the specific pair of cpus, 256gb of ram for it will cost more than a down payment on a decent used car, 1tb of ram for it will cost more than a new car 

For example a single 128gb 2666mhz 3ds LRDIMM will cost 650-800$, and you need 2 at minimum, or 8 total

Damn. I thought it was less!

10 hours ago, manikyath said:

budget and server dont mix well...

your best bet to have lots of memory in a server on a budget, is to buy a second hand HP ProLiant or dell PowerEdge, and a pair of earplugs.

thank you!