Safety as DLC? Motorcycle Airbag vest will not deploy if you miss a payment

rcmaehl
7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I don't get this, so just before you crash you pull the cord? Im pretty sure 90% of crashes are not planned, how would you know? Thats so dumb. 

what? no

when you crash, and you're pretty much flying off of your bike, from every possible side you can fly away from your bike, the cords, which is attached to your bike on one end and the jacket at the other end, gets yanked.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

what? no

when you crash, and you're pretty much flying off of your bike, from every possible side you can fly away from your bike, the cords, which is attached to your bike on one end and the jacket at the other end, gets yanked.

Military parachutists call that a static line. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Any piece of hardware which you buy that requires some subscription to operate should be boycotted, period. In this case it can cost your life so just fu*k that s*it.

Another, but this time non life threatening example is I was looking for one interesting coffee roaster. It is a home grade device which costs around ~1000$. To use it you basically have to subscribe to their green coffee delivery service. Ok, at least you get something for your subscription. However, if you want to access custom roasting profiles you need to pay ~1500$ extra to unlock that feature. It is unlocked by custom license. So just fu*k you, there is no way I am willing to pay for hardware which I can't use in it's full potential, but I have to pay extra to use it's full potential. It is the same as if I bought 16 core CPU, but unless I pay additional 150% license only 8 cores will be operational.

21 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

what? no

Oh i see they are attached to your bike like that. Why not just have airbags?

55 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It is an airbag.  Just a stupidly expensive one that won’t go off if there’s a problem with your payment continuing for whatever reason.    “Oops” doesn’t really cut it when they’re trying to scrape half your face off the sidewalk.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I mean yes, this sounds like a scumbag business model, but: What's the leverage so people would actually pay for it? This vest has only one trick up its sleeve and that's what you have to switch off.

And maybe this is more of a scare tactic than an actual restriction of the product.

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

it technically is, when the one in the OP detects the accident, the jacket expands like an airbag, in the case of the traditional one when the line gets yanked, it pops open a co2 that expands the jacket like an airbag. it's major purpose is to build enough pressure in combination with the helmet and make it so that the drivers head doesn't move... much... during the accident.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

it technically is, when the one in the OP detects the accident, the jacket expands like an airbag, in the case of the traditional one when the line gets yanked, it pops open a co2 that expands the jacket like an airbag. it's major purpose is to build enough pressure in combination with the helmet and make it so that the drivers head doesn't move... much... during the accident.

What I meant to say is like with traditional airbag sensors that discharge in impact, rather than a cord or the internet. 

sorry if this is a stupid question 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

What I meant to say is like with traditional airbag sensors that discharge in impact, rather than a cord or the internet. 

sorry if this is a stupid question 

cause in car you're enclosed in a box, while on a bike you either become a flying projectile or you slide out of the bike. different cases that require different solutions 

On 5/6/2021 at 9:19 PM, rcmaehl said:

My thoughts

Dear god. Please do not make safety features freaking DLC.

Sorry to break it to you, but that is already happening on cars of every major company.

If you don't pay for the features, they are still there.... but don't work.

Break assistant? Installed, but disabled.

Obstacle avoidance? Installed, but disabled.

It sucks, but it is already happening and here to stay, unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Sorry to break it to you, but that is already happening on cars of every major company.

If you don't pay for the features, they are still there.... but don't work.

Break assistant? Installed, but disabled.

Obstacle avoidance? Installed, but disabled.

It sucks, but it is already happening and here to stay, unfortunately. 

Still, that's a one time payment. Having a subscription for a safety feature is a whole other level of scummy.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Still, that's a one time payment. Having a subscription for a safety feature is a whole other level of scummy.

Not for every company, no.

And certainly not for every feature.

Also, this Vest we are talking about here, can also be bought with a one time payment. People can pick if they want that, or a monthly / yearly plan... still sucks, but you get the options.

4 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Also, this Vest we are talking about here, can also be bought with a one time payment. People can pick if they want that, or a monthly / yearly plan... still sucks, but you get the options.

It's also quite unusual that a safety feature add on in a car will literally double the cost of it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Not for every company, no.

And certainly not for every feature.

no, as some stated, you still need the subscription.

The only thing I could agree with an subscription or DLC, is for more features, not for critical support or updates. So if you still get support for a single payment but more fancy stuff for a bigger cost or stuff that needs more updates and is not critical for operation of a safety device, then sure?

9 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

no, as some stated, you still need the subscription.

Actually the site specifically states that if you buy the IN&BOX Module, you do not need to pay a subscription fee. The Subscription is to Lease the Module. The transcript posted in the original post is different than what is stated on the website, possibly just misinformation on the support side or a misunderstanding.

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It is an airbag.  Just a stupidly expensive one that won’t go off if there’s a problem with your payment continuing for whatever reason.    “Oops” doesn’t really cut it when they’re trying to scrape half your face off the sidewalk.

Only if your Leasing the IN&BOX Module and have gone past your 30day grace period and ignored the indicators saying it wasn't active. They also state that they send notifications starting 30 days prior to your payment method expiring and while you are on your 30 day Grace Period after a payment is missed. If you purchase the Module, then it just always works.

With that said, the vest isn't really going to save your face from the sidewalk anyways.

So instead of death and taxes we now get death by taxes?

Didn't read all 5 pages, just adding my 2 cents. So I guess the biggest problem lies with the (understandable) confusion regarding payment. First you buy a $400 vest and then you find out you also need another $400 purchase/subscription  to make it work. If your product is useless without it, why can't this be simplified into an $800 purchase or $24/$240 a month/year subscription?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

How long does the vest remain viable and how long do the payments go on for though? I’m just wondering.  Safety gear generally has a finite lifespan.  This thing just keeps on getting more expensive the more we find out about it.  If the thing is good for say, randomly, 3 years.  Amortized cost per month is the cost of the device/36 plus monthly fee. So far. I also don’t know what this kind of thing costs to buy.  Apparently there are already devices in this space that work on a static line.  All that would be needed is a $25 arduino board and a motor controller to trip the “inflate” switch under specific circumstances. You could have something stringless and just replace the bits that have time limits basically forever.

5 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Actually the site specifically states that if you buy the IN&BOX Module, you do not need to pay a subscription fee. The Subscription is to Lease the Module. The transcript posted in the original post is different than what is stated on the website, possibly just misinformation on the support side or a misunderstanding.

Only if your Leasing the IN&BOX Module and have gone past your 30day grace period and ignored the indicators saying it wasn't active. They also state that they send notifications starting 30 days prior to your payment method expiring and while you are on your 30 day Grace Period after a payment is missed. If you purchase the Module, then it just always works.

With that said, the vest isn't really going to save your face from the sidewalk anyways.

Heh.  Trying various things they hope might save them from liability in the foreordained wrongful death court case.  

after seeing this on the WAN show, it gave me a new thought.

Say you buy it for $400. then spend $400 to unlock the full functionally and you fall off your bike, the vest is ruined because roads are not soft. does the full unlock carry over to a new vest if you buy it, or is the unlock tied to the 1 vest you unlocked it on.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

39 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Say you buy it for $400. then spend $400 to unlock the full functionally and you fall off your bike, the vest is ruined because roads are not soft. does the full unlock carry over to a new vest if you buy it, or is the unlock tied to the 1 vest you unlocked it on.

An interesting question al lot of safety equipment is like that.  Rock climbing ropes were generally rated for one(1) fall at which point they needed to be replaced. 

On 5/7/2021 at 5:31 AM, FakeATF said:

There should be no way that this should be allowed. Like, seriously, I should be able to use the product if I already paid for it. This honestly makes me sick

im pretty sure its in a weird grey area. id give it a week or two before the lawsuits roll in. 

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Well, the logic is apparently that you're paying $400 for the actual vest, and then $400 for the sensor module which is inside it (and that module is what triggers the airbag if it detects a crash). So presumably if the module is undamaged because the vest protected it as well as you, then you should be able to transfer the module to a new vest.

I think it's unlikely that will stand up in practice, though.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.