What if you hooked up a turbo (or two) to some rtx 3080s

want to see it done or not  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this put together in real life by someone with the budget *cough*LTT*cough*

• want to see it done
    • not very interesting

Could adding some turbochargers to a row rtx 3080s or 3090s produce enough extra airflow to make any difference, i mean that exhaust gas is just wasted kinetic energy at this point, i know this isnt exactly feasable at the moment because no one can get 8 3080s in one place. Also metal turbos would likely be too heavy so it would need 3d printing probably.

Man i really need something else to do with my time.

unknown (1).png

I mean you can have a look at extreme overclocking and the records they get with additional cooling. Your turbo-charger would not get close to that, because no matter the additional airflow, you can't get below ambient. So you'd probably be a bit better than normal air coolers but you'd still be below what can be done with e.g. liquid nitrogen and potentially also water cooling.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Bruh. Exhaust gasses are pushed out of the engine by both pressure difference and inertia of the piston. This is just a hot box, plus you cannot push cards cooler than the medium that is cooling it. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I suggest an combustion chamber with some kerosene injectors right before the turbo to get some extra boost. You might have to switch to ceramics from 3D-printed PLE though. 

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

I mean you can have a look at extreme overclocking and the records they get with additional cooling. Your turbo-charger would not get close to that, because no matter the additional airflow, you can't get below ambient. So you'd probably be a bit better than normal air coolers but you'd still be below what can be done with e.g. liquid nitrogen and potentially also water cooling.

I mean some cars do cool down air further before it goes into the engine so perhaps with a combination of techniques we could have an interesting experiment

If you wanted over-the-top, just plain retarded cooling, you'd sink the cards in mineral oil or similar and then cool the oil with e.g. refrigerators or peltiers to below zero.

That said, it's both a retarded idea and not interesting, either.

Just now, MonoManGames said:

interesting

No.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Bruh. Exhaust gasses are pushed out of the engine by both pressure difference and inertia of the piston. This is just a hot box, plus you cannot push cards cooler than the medium that is cooling it. 

Right, I completely ignored that the turbo would pump hot exhaust over the cards… so if anything you'd probably heat them up.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Right, I completely ignored that the turbo would pump hot exhaust over the cards… so if anything you'd probably heat them up.

well i mean you could easily add more pipes to take the exhaust gases into your enemies PCs

1 minute ago, MonoManGames said:

I mean some cars do cool down air further before it goes into the engine so perhaps with a combination of techniques we could have an interesting experiment

There is no experiment. Anyone with any logical thinking capabilities can tell you that won't work. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what an automotive turbocharger is supposed to do and how they work. 

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

WTF no. 

The hot exhaust get exhausted after the turbine (could lead it away from the cards) the compressor, driven by the turbine is fresh air. But as you compress fresh air temperature of the compressed gases increased so it might not give so much cooling. 

Just now, Spindel said:

WTF no. 

The hot exhaust get exhausted after the turbine (could lead it away from the cards) the compressor, driven by the turbine is fresh air. But as you compress fresh air temperature of the compressed gases increased so it might not give so much cooling. 

Yeah… brainfart on my end 🤪 You wouldn't want hot exhaust in your engine either 😄

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Actually no, temperature of the intake depends on the pressure and how hard you are spinning the turbos. This idea is like trying to feed a turbo with a room heater.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

There is no experiment. Anyone with any logical thinking capabilities can tell you that won't work. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what an automotive turbocharger is supposed to do and how they work. 

What? so they dont force more air into the engine? (or in this case through the heatsink)

1 minute ago, MonoManGames said:

What? so they dont force more air into the engine? (or in this case through the heatsink)

Yeah, the idea is to get more air into the engine. But more airflow still doesn't get you below ambient air temperature. So a refrigerated water cooler would easily be better.

16 minutes ago, MonoManGames said:

*snip*

It is completely impractical and would only heat it up, but it would be very interesting to watch 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

20 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

It is completely impractical and would only heat it up, but it would be very interesting to watch 

Thank you! god some people round here dont understand doing things for fun

Just now, MonoManGames said:

Yea they are just sensible adults more than likely. Im not sensible nor am i an adult. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

2 minutes ago, MonoManGames said:

I think way to many in this thread took this too serious.

And I hope you understand that my answers where a bit tongue in cheek (even if the idea with a burner would actually have a possibility to work in just pulling enormous amounts of air over the cards (but compressed air so it wouldn't really be cooling them 😛 ) )

39 minutes ago, Spindel said:

I suggest an combustion chamber with some kerosene injectors right before the turbo to get some extra boost. You might have to switch to ceramics from 3D-printed PLE though. 

You should suggest this to JayzTwoCents with that mock up engine block of a Chevy 350 computer he is doing!!

I don't find this to be practical at all...but anyway, dream on!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

For one, it wouldn't work since you have the exhausting fans agains each other. The GPUs should be flipped so that one's exhaust is against next intake. And after that, first GPU would have best cooling and the rest would have worse and worse since air used is hotter and hotter as the more cards its going through.

Or if you insist on that configuration,

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

For one, it wouldn't work since you have the exhausting fans agains each other. The GPUs should be flipped so that one's exhaust is against next intake. And after that, first GPU would have best cooling and the rest would have worse and worse since air used is hotter and hotter as the more cards its going through.

Or if you insist on that configuration,

Well i mean it was just for the meme lol, and i dont know what you mean the way they are is exhaust to intake.

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

* thread moved to the off-topic section *

Thanks, didnt really know where to put it

45 minutes ago, MonoManGames said:

Well i mean it was just for the meme lol, and i dont know what you mean the way they are is exhaust to intake.

Disregard that part, I remembered how design works bit wrong. The TTL video still stands to make a point. Also the SLI cooling facts still stand to make a point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv