Should I use Google password manager or KeePass?

I used to use LastPass but it stopped being free to use on multiple platforms and I need to get something better, im honestly done with LastPass

I've tried both of them

KeePass is a bit clunky to use, will take me longer each time I need to log in, but will mean I'm not trusting Google for security and I won't need to use Google to get into every single one of my accounts.

i can keep a local copy for my self securely both locally and in the cloud

Google password manager on the other hand has seamless integration with my browsers on all my devices Add apps on my phone It will be easy to log into everything, on the other hand, I would end up trusting Google for everything.

or there's a third option, I could use both.

Google password manager for everything but the most important stuff,

KeePass for everything else

Keepass is great, if you don't want to rely on anything cloud related and be 100% in control of your passwords.

But it sounds like you'd rather have ease of use than anything else, so Bitwarden would be a good middleground on that side of things. It's way better than Google's password manager, while being open source like Keepass, meaning it can easily be audited to find and fix any security flaws.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Pimi said:

I would recommend using Bitwarden as a password manager.

Thank you i didn't know about Bitwarden 

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Keepass is great, if you don't want to rely on anything cloud related and be 100% in control of your passwords.

But it sounds like you'd rather have ease of use than anything else, so Bitwarden would be a good middleground on that side of things. It's way better than Google's password manager, while being open source like Keepass, meaning it can easily be audited to find security flaws.

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Why are you only considering these two options? 

Try Bitwarden

Thank you i didn't know about Bitwarden 

if it works will i may use that and keep keypads on a thumb dirve to help with my personal fear  

We've almost come full circle to the point keeping a password book in a locked drawer is safer. 

I also mean not to be facetious, but what's wrong with remembering your passwords? 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

>-- Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites --<

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

We've almost come full circle to the point keeping a password book in a locked drawer is safer. 

I also mean not to be facetious, but what's wrong with remembering your passwords? 

I am supposed to remember over 100 different random passwords ??

3 minutes ago, Jonboy12 said:

I am supposed to remember over 100 different random passwords ??

Well yeah, 50ish isn't particularly difficult. Given I come from an age when remembering phone numbers was still a thing. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Depends on what, if you don't have a lot. then remember and writing down.

Else Managing and randomize is good. Although each side makes the other one a bit harder. Could mix up digital and non digital but can be a lot harder to sync up and could be lost too or taken by others (depends). And it's nothing like remembering phone numbers. Bitward can have a lot more options? Best with software like this that you can store locally, and not just through their service. Also able to create backups.

Some browsers are decent, but they have more needs with their password managers? Also can be harder to balance with safety and convenience.

If needed when able, 2FA and one that can't be abused. (two-factor authentication)

27 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Well yeah, 50ish isn't particularly difficult. Given I come from an age when remembering phone numbers was still a thing. 

If you can remember 50 passwords there is no way they are secure. 

18 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

If you can remember 50 passwords there is no way they are secure. 

Secure enough with 2fa. 

3 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Secure enough with 2fa. 

yah, but not all the sites i use have 2fa... like anything to do with the government 

55 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Password1234

Password1235
Password1236...

Dictionary words and changing one or two characters in it doesn't count as a secure password.
2FA is not an excuse for poor password security, as that has been shown to be bypassed easily as well if they really in your account. Also, not every sites/services use 2FA.

If your password doesn't have at least 10 unique characters(no dictionary words), your account can be brute forced within a day.

Then there's all the extra info related to each password.

Which service/website is associated to the password.
Security questions (it's not always your mother's maiden name).
Additional account verification information.

etc.
Remembering all that, when you have over 100 accounts on various websites and services, is not easy and reusing passwords is just asking to get hacked when one of them gets breached.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Password1234

Password1235
Password1236...

Dictionary words and changing one or two characters in it doesn't count as a secure password.
2FA is not an excuse for poor password security, as that has been shown to be bypassed easily as well if they really in your account. Also, not every sites/services use 2FA.

If your password doesn't have at least 10 unique characters(no dictionary words), your account can be brute forced within a day.

Then there's all the extra info related to each password.

Which service/website is associated to the password.
Security questions (it's not always your mother's maiden name).
Additional account verification information.

etc.
Remembering all that, when you have over 100 accounts on various websites and services, is not easy and reusing passwords is just asking to get hacked when one of them gets breached.

yeah like three or four years ago I used to use systems for modifying my password based on the website,  it was a little more obfuscated  then what you're describing but still not good.

I like to have password manager with two-factor Authentication,   where I know they're not storing my master password as anything but a hash And they theoretically should have no access to my information and I can get that with bitdefender I guess.

14 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

10 unique characters(no dictionary words)

Upper lower case, symbols and no discernible pattern. Roll  over and change some every few months I'll admit gets a little difficult to remember. I also don't trust the few core identify linked accounts to a third party  

I'm in no way saying don't use a password manager,  just generally remembering 10 character or more strings shouldn't be outside the capability of a lot of people these days, just common place in the late 80's and early 90's. Christ one of the financial institutions I worked in changed the door codes weekly  

30 minutes ago, Jonboy12 said:

yah, but not all the sites i use have 2fa... like anything to do with the government 

Government is a whole other issue, most in my country dont even allow you  to set a password that can't easily be brute forced ( a 6 character password with only standard letters and numbers is kind of a joke) 

Bitwarden looks good for what it's supposed to do, like I said I wasn't being facetious (or what looks like insult people's memory). 

11 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

Government is a whole other issue,

Yeah tell me about it, I live in the United States and they have the same thing where government websites login credentials are a joke which is really frustrating that to order from taco Bell I need a password that's 10 times more secure than the one that secures my identity with the government

And you have to admit you must have been intentionally teasing to some extent, normal people don't have a memory like that. 

My parents are from the generation that remembers phone numbers and they NEVER remember their passwords, and they're always as simple as we'll be allowed,  they reset their passwords all the time.

9 minutes ago, Jonboy12 said:

Yeah tell me about it, I live in the United States and they have the same thing where government websites login credentials are a joke which is really frustrating that to order from taco Bell I need a password that's 10 times more secure than the one that secures my identity with the government

saying that online? *gets hacked in an hour*

jk