CC cancelled an order of mine without my consent: fuming at their handling of GPU pre-orders

stratuh

I ordered a Gigabyte Waterforce 3080 AIO on Dec 29th, and this morning, 122 days later, they cancelled the order without my consent. I already paid them: they have my money, I went in store. I had to drive to CC to figure out what was wrong and while I got my refund, they would not allow me to pre-order another.

When I asked them what's up, they said they "don't want people to wait so [they're] cancelling orders". I said I didn't mind waiting: it's been four months at this point, surely I'm at least halfway up the list and he shrugged. He then mentioned he has a 3080 on order himself and he knows the wait sucks, so when I asked if his was cancelled, he said of course not, he wouldn't allow his store to cancel an employee order. So why assume I'm sick of waiting and cancel my order without my consent?

I just don't get how a company operates this way. They've held my money ransom for four months and I have nothing to show for it. I know the circumstances sucks for everyone, including vendors, but how about some accountability? Why are they selling prebuilts with 3000 series cards when I can't just get a GPU? The price even increased while I was waiting, and they promised they'd honor the original price. Now it's like $250 more expensive, plus I'd be at the bottom of a waitlist if I decide to re-preorder.

I've used CC exclusively for all my PC related stuff, even some ancillary stuff like chairs and other electronics, for maybe 8-9 years. And not so much as a courtesy call "hey do you still want this?" or anything, just straight up cancelled with no warning. I would not have minded waiting: if it took another four months, I was game: I had my place in line set in stone, and now I have nothing to show for it.

Just to show I'm not a anti-CC shill, here's my purchase (right) and refund (left) receipts:

image.thumb.png.c4dde2e3402156767db617e9754030f1.png

And what I ended up waking up to this morning:

image.png.46becc348c8016a052387edfc5cc7ce5.png

I hoped to replace a dying 2080 I have hence the order. CC told me on day 1, expect a 4-6 week wait, which I could manage. I'm still managing but at the cost of not being able to really play anything due to artifacting and coil whine on my GPU. That's why it was important I kept my spot, when now I have to contend with scalpers or even an older GPU. I just really wish they didn't cancel on me, or at least they could have given me some options.

Sorry for the rant, it's just so incredibly frustrating dealing with this company.

A few days ago I noticed Canada Computers had a 1-2 year long backorder time for many of the 3080's, so this might be them trying to save face that they aren't getting any.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

A few days ago I noticed Canada Computers had a 1-2 year long backorder time for many of the 3080's, so this might be them trying to save face that they aren't getting any.

Quite possible. I thought about this in December, with 3000 series cards being hard to find and figured since I got a Waterforce GPU, surely less popular than any other standard card, I'd be safe. But nope.

23 minutes ago, stratuh said:

I've used CC exclusively for all my PC related stuff, even some ancillary stuff like chairs and other electronics, for maybe 8-9 years. And not so much as a courtesy call "hey do you still want this?" or anything, just straight up cancelled with no warning.

I had enough of CC's bad attitude and moved to Memory Express in Dec.

I was on back order for a two fan 3060ti.

Got a call last week saying they hadn't seen a two fan 3060ti come through but they had a two fan 3070 if I wanted it.

Of course I said yes.

Memory Express went the extra mile while CC cancels your order and sells your card in a pre built.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

1 hour ago, stratuh said:

so when I asked if his was cancelled, he said of course not, he wouldn't allow his store to cancel an employee order.

So they cancel customer orders without asking, but they keep their own orders, pushing themselves up the list in the process. NICE.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If my local stores are anything to go by, companies that have waiting lists spanning months should just stop taking preorders completely. I'm sure they have a long enough line by now to realise that given the amount of stock coming in they can't fullfill them within reasonable time or at all.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, TimsTips said:

Pretty sad your 2080 didn’t last longer. 

It's strange: when Control came out, the first time I played it, the GPU started to develop a very loud coil whine and it got worse the more I played. I ended up stopping playing the game, and then I noticed a lot of artifacting in game (any game) as well as weird graphical issues in Windows outside of game.

Incidentally, a while back when I had a 460, a similar issue happened when I played Max Payne 3 for the first time. My 460 developed a coil whine when playing and ended up dying completely shortly thereafter. My friends and I joke that Remedy games kill GPUs because it's twice now issues have arised after playing their games.

I haven't really played anything since January or so because I don't want to push my GPU too much that it outright fails, knowing a lateral replacement is costly and an upgrade is impossible. I was really banking on this 3080.

Lmao that sucks!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

LMAO ... the privilege of OP.

"How dare a company refund my money when they can't deliver my order" 

They owe you your pre-order money or a card. They can't deliver a card. They gave your money back. You're getting nothing more from this exchange.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:56 PM, stratuh said:

I ordered a Gigabyte Waterforce 3080 AIO on Dec 29th, and this morning, 122 days later, they cancelled the order without my consent. I already paid them: they have my money, I went in store. I had to drive to CC to figure out what was wrong and while I got my refund, they would not allow me to pre-order another.

When I asked them what's up, they said they "don't want people to wait so [they're] cancelling orders". I said I didn't mind waiting: it's been four months at this point, surely I'm at least halfway up the list and he shrugged. He then mentioned he has a 3080 on order himself and he knows the wait sucks, so when I asked if his was cancelled, he said of course not, he wouldn't allow his store to cancel an employee order. So why assume I'm sick of waiting and cancel my order without my consent?

I just don't get how a company operates this way. They've held my money ransom for four months and I have nothing to show for it. I know the circumstances sucks for everyone, including vendors, but how about some accountability? Why are they selling prebuilts with 3000 series cards when I can't just get a GPU? The price even increased while I was waiting, and they promised they'd honor the original price. Now it's like $250 more expensive, plus I'd be at the bottom of a waitlist if I decide to re-preorder.

I've used CC exclusively for all my PC related stuff, even some ancillary stuff like chairs and other electronics, for maybe 8-9 years. And not so much as a courtesy call "hey do you still want this?" or anything, just straight up cancelled with no warning. I would not have minded waiting: if it took another four months, I was game: I had my place in line set in stone, and now I have nothing to show for it.

Just to show I'm not a anti-CC shill, here's my purchase (right) and refund (left) receipts:

image.thumb.png.c4dde2e3402156767db617e9754030f1.png

And what I ended up waking up to this morning:

image.png.46becc348c8016a052387edfc5cc7ce5.png

I hoped to replace a dying 2080 I have hence the order. CC told me on day 1, expect a 4-6 week wait, which I could manage. I'm still managing but at the cost of not being able to really play anything due to artifacting and coil whine on my GPU. That's why it was important I kept my spot, when now I have to contend with scalpers or even an older GPU. I just really wish they didn't cancel on me, or at least they could have given me some options.

Sorry for the rant, it's just so incredibly frustrating dealing with this company.

There was a post a week or 2 back from a whistle blower employee from CC about how they were taking GPU's people had already pre ordered/back ordered and putting them into prebuilts to try and make more money by forcing people to buy prebuilts for the GPU's, they're likely just canceling those pre orders/back orders now to prevent another headache like that. The lawyers probably said something about holding peoples money and never delivering a product. 

Sorry OP, you've basically found out that almost all companies are only in it for themselves, it's the nature of a company.

This is why I don't pre-order almost anything... found out years ago it's not worth the bother 80% of the time. I used to pre-order games, and then a few times I still got mine AFTER others who just went in to the store on release day. So that's when I decided to just do the same and not have my money tied up in pointless pre-orders anymore.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Still have an order in with ShopBLT from January, plus still have my Office Depot backorders (really expected those to get cancelled).

All in all, the effort I put into acquiring cards has been successful and it shows. I remembered seeing a lot of cards inside Canada over these last few months, they never would ship outside the country. I am surprised you have not been able to acquire one? I have got to the point I have stopped looking because I have so much invested in them already.

D298E950-99F0-41AA-86FC-08E4F69DAA89.jpeg