4+ color display?

PabloDons

There is a very interesting graph of "color perception" by combining different wavelengths of light at varying intensities:

300px-CIE1931xy_blank.svg.png

Not gonna try to explain it, there's great resources online. Search for Chromaticity diagram.

By selecting 3 points (colors) on this graph, you can create a triangle where the space inside is all possible colors you can make with those colors at different intensities. Most displays are rec.709 which is defined by 3 coordintes on this graph. That means there is a large space of colors you displays cannot reproduce. There are color spaces that cover more though, like rec.2020 for example, but it's still tri-color and misses a lot of the cyan:

300px-CIExy1931_Rec_2020.svg.png

I thought, what if we used 4 colors? Then it would cover a much bigger part of the graph. I couldn't find any displays that would do this, so I wanted to try to make one. Obviously I can't make a full on HD display, but I can make a single pixel by pointing dimmable lasers at one spot.

So this is a project I want to undertake and wanted to ask around for any experience y'all can share or any advice. Like what wavelengths do I choose? How I would dim lasers? Any other approach that would make more sense? I don't know much about color other than this, so any help is appreciated!

Curious to know what 4th colour you would use? given that all light is made up of the 3 primary colours; Red, Green, Blue. and those are the only colours the cones in our eyes can see. Any "4th" colour will just be made up of a portion of the already existing colour, making it largely pointless.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 hours ago, comander said:

LG has been doing this for a while. You can "lose" resolution this way though, at least at a given marketed resolution.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3240976/some-lg-4k-lcd-tvs-deliver-only-28k-resolution.html

Printers also use an inverse process for CMYK for printing. 

Was about to say that TVs have had this already. Didn’t Sharp or Sony also have a fourth yellow pixel alongside RGB?

3 hours ago, Vangeli said:

Was about to say that TVs have had this already. Didn’t Sharp or Sony also have a fourth yellow pixel alongside RGB?

Yes, but it doesn't actually do anything.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190531124601/http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/~tb300/pub/Appendix_Quattron.pdf

This minima point at the intersection between the red and green primaries also suggests that yellow primary is produced by simply combining the red  and green primaries.  If yellow is implemented as red+yellow+green then a lack of an independent yellow primary will reduce a 4’th ‘yellow’ sub-pixel to equivalency with red and green sub-pixels whose surface area is increased to include that of the ‘yellow’ sub-pixel.  On this basis it may be concluded that Quattron is a “gimmick”.  It has a yellow sub-pixel but no yellow light to pass through it.  Its only function can therefore be to allow more green and red light to pass through, which is equivalent to passing the same light through green and red pixels that are 50% larger.  It therefore serves no useful function, as suggested by the critics.

Sorry for the late reply! I went to sleep and forgot about it. Worst short term memory ever D: Thank y'all for the replies!

On 4/23/2021 at 3:05 AM, comander said:

LG has been doing this for a while. You can "lose" resolution this way though, at least at a given marketed resolution.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3240976/some-lg-4k-lcd-tvs-deliver-only-28k-resolution.html

Printers also use an inverse process for CMYK for printing. 

I know about the white pixel thing, but that's really a brightness feature, not a color feature. I'm thinking about a 4th color pixel to increase the space of colors reproducible by the display. Whereas white isn't a "color" per-se, it's a combination of a range of colors in our visible spectrum

On 4/23/2021 at 3:35 AM, Arika S said:

Curious to know what 4th colour you would use? given that all light is made up of the 3 primary colours; Red, Green, Blue. and those are the only colours the cones in our eyes can see. Any "4th" colour will just be made up of a portion of the already existing colour, making it largely pointless.

Color in the real world isn't made up of the primary colors. It's made up of a spectrum of wavelengths of light. Displays reproduce these colors using combinations of the primary colors, which look identical to our eyes.

Electromagnetic Spectrum - Principles of Structural Chemistry

Also the cones in our eyes are sensitive to a range of wavelengths at different sensitivities. The red, green, blue cones idea is really just a misconception.

Spectral Sensitivity - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

The actual color that you perceive is an interpretation of the signals from these cones. It's not 1:1. Notice that violet isn't really a "real" color, It's a combination of the short and long wavelength cones both firing. The reason it's on the left side of the wavelength graph is because the long wavelength cones are actually slightly sensitive to the very short wavelength light and it's interpreted by our brain as purple.

To answer your question, though. I would choose red and blue because they are at the very edge of the horseshoe graph in the OP. But also 540nm green and maybe somewhere in the cyan? I'm not sure because I have no idea how those colors look and what benefit in terms of saturation I would get perceptually. Though the idea is to cover as much of the chromaticity graph as possible

I'm also searching around for lasers of specific wavelength, but it appears to be a challenge. Does anyone know of an easy way of producing any coherent wavelength?

*** Thread cleaned ***

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/23/2021 at 3:35 AM, Arika S said:

All light is not only made from those colours, no. Light from the sun have actually all different colours.

Reason why RGB can look like all colours to your eyes is that the cells in the eye that detect light is basically RGB.

Or, your eyes convert light that is all kinds different colours to 3 different colours (plus some cells that are just black and white basically), so for the eyes it looks the same.

But if you were to shine a light that is RGB set to white on a object that in the sun look like an in between colour of those 3, it doesn't necessarily look the same, exactly because the RGB isn't all colours of light. Even if directly looking on the light/sun or it lighting a grey scale object, looks the same. 

RGB is just faking other colour light, it isn't actually that.

EDIt: saw now that OP basically replied with this already

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

19 hours ago, comander said:

Having pure white as an option allows for a bit more accurate representation of a handful of colors, otherwise white is attained by color mixing, which is imperfect. 

There might be anecdotal evidence, but as far as theory goes, the perceived color should be exactly identical. Except of course when illuminating objects, which bright TVs tend to do.

There's something else you need to consider; where is the information for your fourth color going to come from? Say hypothetically, you manage to build this display, how are you going to get the data for the fourth color? All cameras I'm aware of have RGB sensors.

Sure you could derive the amount of that fourth color from the RGB va-   oh wait...

21 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

There's something else you need to consider; where is the information for your fourth color going to come from? Say hypothetically, you manage to build this display, how are you going to get the data for the fourth color? All cameras I'm aware of have RGB sensors.

Sure you could derive the amount of that fourth color from the RGB va-   oh wait...

I'm glad you asked!

So like I said, I'm not looking to make a full-on grid pixel display, just a single pixel really. There's no reason to as it's not really viable anyway or even useful. The data would come from the chromaticity diagram in the OP where I would basically just select coordinates and the build would hypothetically just reproduce that color. That's what I'm interested in, really. Wide color reproduction.

Say hypothetically, I do build a display anyway. Well I don't have to use RGB encoded sources. I can use chromaticity diagram (ex. Digital Cinema Package) or wide gamut (ex. Dolby Vision) encoded sources. Digital art is also a use case.

Also to reiterate on this RGB sensor misconception. cameras (and our eyes for that matter) are not really RGB, the filters in a camera are sensitive with varying degree to a range of different wavelengths. Our color reproduction systems (monitors) are what are RGB. Any camera with RAW recording is capable of reproducing any color on the color gamut (as long as at least 2 filters are sensitive to it). Even if it's not RAW, you can just color grade anyway.

Take a look at the sensitivity of a D70's filters below. The "red" filter picks up some green light too. Doesn't mean all green is going to be yellow-ish. It's not 1:1. There's a bunch of convoluted math going on to determine exactly what color something was based on these 3 inputs, and then some to determine how to reproduce it using outputs (RGB (or in my case, any number of colors)). RAW simply records these 3 inputs as-is.

Absorbance Spectra and a Spectrum

Given the picture that you provided in the OP, it would seem that another subpixel on the blue side of green would provide the greatest amount of additional area to the chart.

image.png.7425f26a0dafb14017415e863376dd6b.png

Interestingly, the fifth pixel would also be green following this logic.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

17 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Given the picture that you provided in the OP, it would seem that another subpixel on the blue side of green would provide the greatest amount of additional area to the chart.

image.png.7425f26a0dafb14017415e863376dd6b.png

Interestingly, the fifth pixel would also be green following this logic.

It is very interesting. Clearly, the bureaucrats don't think cyan is important enough to sacrifice some of the yellow for.

This is the kind of advice I was looking for, though! A greedy algorithm could work. Though if I were to move the green subpixel down to say 550nm, and the blue-green one up, I'd get more saturated yellow, while keeping the area the same. But maybe 5 colors is the way to go anyway.

off-topic fun fact: while searching for a 630nm light source, I encountered "light therapy" devices, and all of them included the same 2 other wavelength lights (660nm and 850nm). Clearly a placebo hoax, though it was strangely consistent and there were so many, I had a hard time finding regular-ass LEDs. Thought I'd share

image.png.abdbf815ed490792bb598990c1343de5.png

1 hour ago, PabloDons said:

It is very interesting. Clearly, the bureaucrats don't think cyan is important enough to sacrifice some of the yellow for.

There may perhaps partly be a physical reason to "ignore" cyan, because he distribution of cones isn't uniform over our retina. The fovea, the part of our eyes that gives us sharp vision, has a lack of blue cones and the blue cones are less senstive relative to the red and green ones. The combination might make a lack of cyan less noticeable? I also don't particularly often see cyan in real life, compared to yellow, even though I think it's a pretty colour, which may help even more.

off-topic fun fact: while searching for a 630nm light source, I encountered "light therapy" devices, and all of them included the same 2 other wavelength lights (660nm and 850nm). Clearly a placebo hoax, though it was strangely consistent and there were so many, I had a hard time finding regular-ass LEDs. Thought I'd share

Well the 850 nm is obvious because it wouldn't be an infrared light if that was missing. I also wonder how monochromatic in regards they are to 630 and 660 😛

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Scam devices don't do design work, so they're often just copied from a single source, so they're all the same. And often multiple sellers are really the same as well.

12 hours ago, PabloDons said:

Also to reiterate on this RGB sensor misconception. cameras (and our eyes for that matter) are not really RGB,

Could be, but the output data from the camera is encoded as values from the pixels on the sensor. There are three kinds of color filter in front of that sensor.

That means if you were to generate a fourth "primary color" from this data, you'd be deriving it from those values, so you'd be doing nothing different than taking a bitmap image and deriving a fourth color from existing RGB values stored on a disk. There's no new information there.

Now I don't think this is in the budget, but perhaps the perfect solution that you'd be looking for would be a tunable laser: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunable_laser

Some of these can produce light between 400-1000nm, so basically the entire spectrum. You'd have all colors covered.