PS5 is Really Lagging Behind Xbox Series X Right Now!

Hey y'all I wanted to share this interesting article I found on medium.com. 

http://medium.com/super-jump/every-advantage-the-xbox-series-x-has-over-the-ps5-29775f5340e7

It's goes really in depth into all the advantages the Series X has over the PS5. Theres surprisingly a lot, and the new ps5 update only fixed 2 of them. (Still waiting on VRR Sony!)

It's kinda shocking how much Sony can get away with being the winner last generation. One of them is why did Sony get all the credit with their "tempest engine" 3d audio tech when right now Microsoft is doing the better job.

Xbox has their own audio processor just like Sonys, and they have 3 different hrtf software implementations (Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, DTS X) to choose from compared to Sonys. And they have been supporting them since the Xbox One! Also the PS5 can't actually output any 3d surround signals to home theatre systems, while xbox can. Sony needs to get rid of "lying Jim Ryan" and get their own "Phil Spencer" rival.

Also really agree with both Linus and this article about all the potential e-waste and wasted money not allowing PS5 games to support PS4 dualshock controllers. 

I don’ know what you’re talking about, I love my $400 youtube playing device. 

All jokes aside, they really need to release more games for the PS5. 

Something I REALLY wish Sony would bring back are themes. I get what they're trying to do with the new UI, but fuck man, having static themes that don't change game to game is great. I loved the PS2 throwback theme, and the music for the 2020 Wrap Up theme SLAPS. Lately I've also been using the Dual theme (the variant that's black and blue) and super digging it too.

BUT, the controller thing is kinda dumb, honestly. Like I get it, they're bAsIcAlLy ThE sAmE cOnTrOlLeR and the DualSense is mostly centered around the much better haptics and triggers, but come on. It's not that big of a deal, and they still work for PS4 games which, for quite a few years to come, is likely what most PS5 owners will still be playing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Something I REALLY wish Sony would bring back are themes. I get what they're trying to do with the new UI, but fuck man, having static themes that don't change game to game is great. I loved the PS2 throwback theme, and the music for the 2020 Wrap Up theme SLAPS. Lately I've also been using the Dual theme (the variant that's black and blue) and super digging it too.

Personally I really liked the way PS3 XMB had implemented themes. It combined static/dynamic customizable themes in addition to changing game to game when selected for a few seconds.

25 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

All jokes aside, they really need to release more games for the PS5. 

In order to compete with potential loss of future bethesda/zenimax games they better. 

It's kind of amazing the long game Microsoft is playing here, and unfortunately it seems neither Sony nor their rabid fans have figured it out yet. Microsoft has positioned itself to be a platform agnostic subscription gaming juggernaut. While I adore some of the PlayStation exclusive franchises like Spider-Man and HZD (and will probably buy a PS5 just to play those), I can't realistically see using a PS5 for anything else.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

It's kind of amazing the long game Microsoft is playing here, and unfortunately it seems neither Sony nor their rabid fans have figured it out yet. Microsoft has positioned itself to be a platform agnostic subscription gaming juggernaut. While I adore some of the PlayStation exclusive franchises like Spider-Man and HZD (and will probably buy a PS5 just to play those), I can't realistically see using a PS5 for anything else.

You pretty much echo my sentiment: there are several Sony - exclusives I want, including the upcoming God of War, the new The Returnal, and so on, but...damn, if Microsoft's Game Pass ain't horrifyingly good value! If it's true that the new Elder Scrolls - game will be on Game Pass at launch....yeah, the PS5 and Sony's ecosystem starts to look less and less appealing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Outside of the lack of PS5 games, i have no issues with my PS5, every time there's a cross platform video on Digital Foundry, they put the Series X and PS5 neck and neck, sometimes Xbox ahead, sometimes Playstation ahead.  Not sure where you're getting the idea that it's lagging behind. 

I honestly don't see the point of having a n Xbox though, i have a gaming PC and there's nothing that can only be played on the Xbox, unlike the Playstation which has a bunch of exclusives which may or may not end up on PC many many years down the track.

to me dualsense is a playstation-ified xbox one controller. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

23 hours ago, Totallycasual said:

Outside of the lack of PS5 games, i have no issues with my PS5, every time there's a cross platform video on Digital Foundry, they put the Series X and PS5 neck and neck, sometimes Xbox ahead, sometimes Playstation ahead.  Not sure where you're getting the idea that it's lagging behind. 

I honestly don't see the point of having a n Xbox though, i have a gaming PC and there's nothing that can only be played on the Xbox, unlike the Playstation which has a bunch of exclusives which may or may not end up on PC many many years down the track.

This is it for me, if you can have two, a PC and a Playstation is the only way that makes sense. The only game that ever had me wanting an Xbox was Sunset Overdrive, Halo to a lesser degree as well. Halo MCC is on PC though and Sunset is on Steam. I hate using the Windows store though so Gamepass is a no go for me. I also can't see it paying itself off. The titles available aren't intriguing to me, what games I would play in a year, I could buy for the same price in a year and not have a subscription, actually own the games, and for a lot of them, use Steam. 

Even if Spiderman or whatever else is available on PC, I'd probably still get the PS version as long as 60fps is an option in those. PS comes out first and it might be free/super cheap compared to "Oh shit, it's brand new again! $60 please." I know HZD is cheap on both (well, free on Playstation right now), but the only thing making me lean towards playing it on PC is that the framerate is unlocked. 

With that said, I only have an RTX 2070 at the moment, which is about equivalent to the PS5 hardware anyway. I really wouldn't gain anything fidelity wise by playing on PC, besides getting a little more customization out of the settings. 

On 4/22/2021 at 11:12 AM, Totallycasual said:

Right now theres no clear winner in terms of hardware, although this can change into the future when the consoles are actually get utilized properly. The parts where its lagging were mentioned in the article: https://medium.com/super-jump/every-advantage-the-xbox-series-x-has-over-the-ps5-29775f5340e7

For example, its lacking in 3d audio (only headphone support and no dolby headphone app), inferior high dynamic range (no dolby vision or auto hdr for older games), and no ps3 backwards compatibility is the biggest letdown (original ps3 hardware runs like @ss, emulation would be so much better)! Also load times on ps4 games don't fully utilize the ssd speeds like xbox one games do on series x.

Also the vast majority of console gamers dont have a gaming pc, low power integrated gpu laptops are the still most common. So the lack of true exclusives dont matter.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:56 PM, Chris Pratt said:

If xbox was owned by any other company, they would have called it quits after the original xbox. Microsoft doesn't need xbox to be profitable the same way sony does with playstation.

15 hours ago, Michael Kelso said:

the lack of true exclusives dont matter

Tell that to the last console generation, anyone with half a brain in the industry will tell you that the Sony exclusives were a massive part of their success, which is why MS is buying up studios as a response. 

8 hours ago, Totallycasual said:

Tell that to the last console generation, anyone with half a brain in the industry will tell you that the Sony exclusives were a massive part of their success, which is why MS is buying up studios as a response. 

I guess I can agree with that, its just seems stupid for Sony to start putting there exclusives on pc.. even after a couple years after release. 

3 hours ago, Michael Kelso said:

seems stupid for Sony to start putting there exclusives on pc

They're not doing it with new AAA releases, it's old stuff.  Why not put the first HZD out on PC when it could encourage someone to buy a PS5 and the sequel, no harm in giving the PC crowd a little taste of the games that have already been milked for all they're worth on the Playstation.  

On 4/21/2021 at 10:56 PM, Chris Pratt said:

Sony probably has realized that the loss-leader console isn’t everything, albeit much later than Microsoft. Can’t imagine any better reason why they’re bringing exclusives to PC.

1 hour ago, Vangeli said:

Sony probably has realized that the loss-leader console isn’t everything, albeit much later than Microsoft. Can’t imagine any better reason why they’re bringing exclusives to PC.

The problem for Sony, is that their console isn't really a loss leader, or at least not in the same way the Xbox is. They literally need to sell you the console, along with a few games to turn a profit. Microsoft literally couldn't care less if you buy an Xbox. They want you to buy Game Pass.

Sony bringing titles (though it can barely be plural at this point) to PC, is just opening up a new revenue stream on older games. They're not even remotely in a position to bring new games to PC day one or even offer new games through PS Now, because that would cannibalize sales that they need.

I'm not sure if Sony has realized how deeply Microsoft has buried them yet, but they're in a deep hole indeed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

As a long time PC gamer, I see absolutely no point in buying a PS5. 

1. Poor controller with drift issue and short lifespan (probably planned obsolesce).
  2. No PS4 controller support.
  3. Uninteresting exclusives (apart from TLOU, which is almost too scripted TBH).
  4. Poor build quality (almost entirely made of cheap, crappy plastic).
  5. Weaker hardware.
  6. Form over functionality design with very poor cooling. 
  7. Microsoft's Bethesda/Obsidian acquisition (huge blow to Sony). 
  8. Only a handful of 120FPS titles whereas Xbox team itself is enhancing old games to 60 and even 120FPS (check Digital Foundry's most recent video).
  9. No PS3 emulation (RIP MGS4).
  10. No storage upgradability (susceptible to change).
  11. Impossible to run purchased games on the PC.
  12. No option to back-up the games locally (PS Plus exclusive feature).

Personally, I consider Sony to be as 'evil' as Apple so yeah, I "may" be a little biased but the cons I've listed aren't exactly made-up!

1 hour ago, Man said:

Uninteresting exclusives (apart from TLOU, which is almost too scripted TBH).

I have to agree, uncharted 1-3 are so extremly scripted (especially 3) its unreal. The last of us is also way to scriped..  Uncharted 4 is still scripted but its done in a way better way...

7 minutes ago, Michael Kelso said:

I have to agree, uncharted 1-3 are so extremly scripted (especially 3) its unreal. The last of us is also way to scriped..  Uncharted 4 is still scripted but its done in a way better way...

I'd really love to know what games in this genre you think aren't scripted.

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

I'd really love to know what games in this genre you think aren't scripted.

Ok I think I used the wrong word. But if you compare the uncharted games to the tomb raider games, the level of freedom in the game play and interaction is a world of difference..

5 hours ago, Man said:

1. Poor controller with drift issue and short lifespan (probably planned obsolesce).
  2. No PS4 controller support.
  3. Uninteresting exclusives (apart from TLOU, which is almost too scripted TBH).
  4. Poor build quality (almost entirely made of cheap, crappy plastic).
  5. Weaker hardware.
  6. Form over functionality design with very poor cooling. 
  7. Microsoft's Bethesda/Obsidian acquisition (huge blow to Sony). 
  8. Only a handful of 120FPS titles whereas Xbox team itself is enhancing old games to 60 and even 120FPS (check Digital Foundry's most recent video).
  9. No PS3 emulation (RIP MGS4).
  10. No storage upgradability (susceptible to change).
  11. Impossible to run purchased games on the PC.
  12. No option to back-up the games locally (PS Plus exclusive feature).

Personally, I consider Sony to be as 'evil' as Apple so yeah, I "may" be a little biased but the cons I've listed aren't exactly made-up!

1. The sticks are the same ones used on every current system and every system from last gen. Drift isn't a Sony only problem.
2. This one is upsetting, but isn't a dealbreaker. I'd take a controller with new features and technical advancements over backwards compatibility. Especially when the controller as a whole is better than the DS4.
3. The exclusives are varied. I don't think you can say "Uninteresting" when there's such a long list of varying experiences to be had.
4. What part of it has poor build quality? It feels like a tank in the hand, and from the teardowns, it seems like the people who actually look at it inside agree.
5. Weaker hardware yes, but I have a PC for all the games that aren't on PS4/5. Buying an Xbox would make no sense for the majority of people in a pick 2 of 3 situation. And for those that can only pick one, I have yet to see a large disparity in visual fidelity or performance during comparisons. At that point, get the one with the exclusives you want. 
6. I'm going to need a source for this.
7. These games have always been better on PC. Doesn't affect people like me in the slightest. And we have yet to see how far it being "exclusive" will go. A few months? Whatever. A year? Oof. DLC is a month early? Who cares. 
8. Xbox having unlockable framerates for old games is cool, it's something I hope Sony implements. 
9. The PS3 is very difficult to emulate, I hope for a day when it becomes baked in, but I just don't see that happening until next gen. (fingers crossed) I also don't think many people are playing PS3 games on the regular. MGS4 is one of the big ones that doesn't have a PS4/PS5 remake, but it's quite playable on RPCS3, and PS3's are cheap if you want the "proper" experience. 
10. Storage upgrades are "coming" and at least it's not limited to one very expensive Seagate custom solution. For the same price as the Seagate box, I'll grab a much bigger drive. 
11. Windows Store is horrible anyway. It wouldn't let me download Master Chief Collection, but Steam had it working just fine. I gave up on Windows Store a long time ago, but decided to try again when GamePass was $1. It was a waste of money and time, nothing worked. 
12. I agree with this one, but we're not using spinning discs anymore. These NVME drives will probably outlast everything else in the system. 

I've always been primarily a Nintendo gamer with Microsoft and Sony being my secondary/tertiary systems.

For the 8th gen I had the Wii U (later Switch), and then I got a PS4 and eventually another Xbox One S.  (I had to sell my phat xbox one in college for money). With my collections being Switch and Wii U the biggest, PS4 after that, and Xbox One the smallest.

It's looking like it'll be reversed this generation.

Microsoft is more consumer friendly, they have the more powerful system (imo, this is mainly coming down to ergonomics, not tech in the controller), the better controller (between XSX and PS5), more exclusives lined up that we know about, and generally just a better attitude overall.

Sony has already all but officially killed my favorite Sony IP (Gravity Rush), and while hyped for God of War, the fact that they killed Japan Studio, especially Gravity Rush, and a lot of other series of theirs that I love, has killed my hype on the PS5.

Plus, this is subjective, but the PS5 gets uglier every time I look at it.  I love two tone/white designs over black.  It doesn't show scratches or dust as much.  But this thing looking like someone taped two paper plates to a WiFi router just don't do it for me chief.  

The way I'm looking at this generation now.  We know Microsoft will make a limited edition console for Halo Infinite.  That's when I'll get my Series X.  I'll wait for the eventual PS5 slim, cause I don't need a console the size of an Abrams tank set up in my living room, and buy it used. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Sony has already all but officially killed my favorite Sony IP (Gravity Rush), and while hyped for God of War, the fact that they killed Japan Studio, especially Gravity Rush, and a lot of other series of theirs that I love, has killed my hype on the PS5.

Man that pissed me off to see Japan Studios completely gutted except for Asobi. I like the Astro games but how do you blow up the studio that saved the PS3 with Demon's Souls and made the first must-buy PS4 game in Bloodborne? Jim Ryan can go fuck himself with a spiked bat. Very nervous he's going to remembered the same way Don Mattrick was for last gen.

12 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Man that pissed me off to see Japan Studios completely gutted except for Asobi. I like the Astro games but how do you blow up the studio that saved the PS3 with Demon's Souls and made the first must-buy PS4 game in Bloodborne? Jim Ryan can go fuck himself with a spiked bat. Very nervous he's going to remembered the same way Don Mattrick was for last gen.

dude it hurts.  I loved LocoRoco on the PSP, the Hot Shots Golf series.  I'm not even a big sports fan but a fun wacky sports game like Hot Shots or the Mario sports series are always fun to play.  Gravity Rush obviously on the Vita, and GR2 on the PS4 (which, imo, is the best game Sony released on the PS4).  It just sucks and honestly, I do hope Jim Ryan is looked at the same way Don Mattrick is, he deserves it at this point.

From focusing only on "the biggest of budgets, the triplest of A's, the most third personiest of over the shoulders, the most westernest of western studio releases, the most who would play this-iest of older games."  Still just baffles me he said that about the old Gran Turismo games

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.