World’s first smartphone with a variable telephoto lens and 4K@120Hz display

Mr.Meerkat
20 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

why bother when the hooman eye cant see over 24hz/s

but in all seriousness, 4k computer monitors are overkill. 144 hz is fine, if you are a gamer, but if you are someone like me who stares at emacs, vsc and intellij all day, then 1080p@60hz is fine. Also I sent back a 90 hz phone back because of  the drain, and went to a 60 hertz phone. Not that hard at all.vIts like going back to a hard disk from a dram less ssd

Misconstruing the data.  24fps is where things start to look like movement to the human eye, which I understand is a pretty low number as animals go. Squids for example require MUCH faster frame rates for it to not look like a slideshow. It’s not the upper limit it’s the lower limit.  My understanding is the upper limit is as low as 90fps for some people, but it can go higher.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 4/14/2021 at 4:56 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

On the flipside, why not? It's like why 8K recording on a phone? Because big numbers = good for advertising. 

One reason would be power. - And I don't mean processing.
When you squeeze more pixels into an area, less of that area is dedicated to light passing through, meaning you gotta have a brighter backlight for the image to appear to be the same brightness. Think of it like using a very fine mesh filter in front of your fans,you then need to run them faster to compensate for the loss of airflow.

Just now, DeScruff said:

One reason would be power. - And I don't mean processing.
When you squeeze more pixels into an area, less of that area is dedicated to light passing through, meaning you gotta have a brighter backlight for the image to appear to be the same brightness. Think of it like using a very fine mesh filter in front of your fans,you then need to run them faster to compensate for the loss of airflow.

What backlight? 😉 

Applicable to LCD displays but not OLED where there is no backlight. Anyway, on the note of power consumption, fun fact, IPS is better for power when there's more white whilst OLED is better when there's more black. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

What backlight? 😉 

Applicable to LCD displays but not OLED where there is no backlight. Anyway, on the note of power consumption, fun fact, IPS is better for power when there's more white whilst OLED is better when there's more black. 

Ahh mmk missed the OLED part.
I believe it still applies since the pixels are still physically smaller, still resulting from the 'finer screen' effect and need to be run brighter to achieve the same amount of light.

Now they have my attention, now more choices to argue with myself about as possibilities to upgrade my Galaxy s7 to finally.  

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

3 minutes ago, DarthBaggins said:

Now they have my attention, now more choices to argue with myself about as possibilities to upgrade my Galaxy s7 to finally.  

The things I miss most about android are pimlical and the stylus for the galaxy note. Both are perhaps somewhat special purpose

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

53 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

Ahh mmk missed the OLED part.
I believe it still applies since the pixels are still physically smaller, still resulting from the 'finer screen' effect and need to be run brighter to achieve the same amount of light.

Yes and no. If you were comparing 1 pixel to 1 pixel then the smaller pixel will need to be cranked to a higher "percentage" to output the same amount of light, but it doesn't necessarily mean it consumes more power (albeit standard power losses suggests it does). However, when comparing the whole display, because each pixel produces it's own light, it doesn't necessarily mean for the same output of light, more power is consumed for the higher res display, due to how multiple light sources interacts with each other. It could consume more but it could also consume less depending on the situation as with more light sources, it usually means lower intensity from each pixel for the same overall output, which can actually result in lower power consumption. 

As an example, if you were to say compare a 4 LED torch (flashlight) to a 1 LED torch with the same light output, with each LED representing a pixel, each LED of the quad will be running at a lower intensity and if wired in series, they can be more efficient than the 1 LED due to lower current draw (it's more efficient to run at a higher voltage than higher current). Of course, this assumes the efficiency of the drivers and LEDs are all more or less the same, where the primary power loss is due to wire resistance. 

Frankly, without data straight from the manufacturer, you can't really compare OLED displays just based on resolution as due to physics, it can really go either way. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

i have a sony alpha camera and they recently showed that you can use one of their xperia phones as an external recorder. I wonder if you can do it with this phone also. if you can i might consider getting this phone used.

10 hours ago, Moonzy said:

People who complained about the aspect ratio:

I present to you, multi tasking on a phone (xperia 5 ii)

Hide contents

Screenshot_20210419-210133.thumb.png.8d05b2d827dc8ace4237ba6c669faa37.png

I love it, I can't imagine going without it anymore, it's like having two screens

It fits in my pocket just fine

image.png.4f4579e67f8ee2aa2f31b653870d4307.png

This is a reaction image. Idk for what

✨FNIGE✨

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Misconstruing the data.  24fps is where things start to look like movement to the human eye, which I understand is a pretty low number as animals go. Squids for example require MUCH faster frame rates for it to not look like a slideshow. It’s not the upper limit it’s the lower limit.  My understanding is the upper limit is as low as 90fps for some people, but it can go higher.

/s => sarcasm

9 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

/s => sarcasm

Yes.  I dont recall seeing such on the original comment.  Scrolling back I don’t now.  Isn’t important in any case.