AMD announces Zen 3 APUs with "the world's fastest graphics in a desktop processor", OEM only for now

Random_Person1234
1 minute ago, EduarDoc said:

It was not clear to me, are these available to the public or they will be just available through pre-build?

OEM only, which means it will only be in pre-builds. But, they will likely end up on Aliexpress and eBay.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Not surprising OEM only atm.
They likely have contracts with OEMs to supply X amount of CPUs per quarter, or OEMs are readying to refresh their lineup. Maintaining contracts is higher priority.

Just sucks with the whole GPU shortage, because otherwise this really wouldn't be that big of a deal.

image.png.8a01c234bb98e78600734852ba317460.png

PCIE 3.0? DAFUQ?

Also, it'd be nice if they confirmed whether these APUs are still using Vega or have made the jump to Navi - instead, all the site says is "Radeon Graphics" - very helpful, AMD! </s> 

-- EDIT - Just saw in Guru3D that they're still using f*{#ing Vega still.. guess they didn't feel quite threatened by the new Intel Xe-based iGPUs. And this also means that I don't trust their "enjoy 1080p gaming!" marketing bullshit.

1 hour ago, Rauten said:

PCIE 3.0? DAFUQ?

PCIe 4.0 uses too much power and isn't a necessity for this class product, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe is still wayyy faster than what you need.

1 hour ago, Rauten said:

-- EDIT - Just saw in Guru3D that they're still using f*{#ing Vega still.. guess they didn't feel quite threatened by the new Intel Xe-based iGPUs. And this also means that I don't trust their "enjoy 1080p gaming!" marketing bullshit.

Vega 8 is not the same as the Vega desktop architecture, many of the improvements in RDNA are in Vega 8. 

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

PCIe 4.0 uses too much power and isn't a necessity for this class product, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe is still wayyy faster than what you need.

I understand not needing it for a GPU - the whole point of an APU is that don't need one.
But are there really no use cases in a corporate environment for PCIe 4.0 other than GPUs? If these are OEM parts I expect most of them to end in desktop computers for offices which, sure, most are going to be used for Excel and Word and the like, but not all of them...
I don't know, it feels weird to leave it out, specially when so much marketing seems to be based on making bullet lists with as much stuff as you want.

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Vega 8 is not the same as the Vega desktop architecture, many of the improvements in RDNA are in Vega 8. 

Hrm; guess I will withhold judgement until I see reviews.

10 minutes ago, Rauten said:

But are there really no use cases in a corporate environment for PCIe 4.0 other than GPUs?

Not for a low end/mid range desktop PC, higher end workstations won't be using these and even then PCIe 3.0 is enough for the vast majority of things. Unless you want a dual port 100Gb NIC you won't encounter bandwidth limitations sticking with PCIe 3.0.

If they put PCIe 4.0 in then the CPU and/or GPU clocks would be lower which would actually impact performance, unlike PCIe 4.0.

10 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Hrm; guess I will withhold judgement until I see reviews.

It's still only a maximum of 8 CUs, it's not going to be very fast. A lowly RX 5300 has 22 CUs and is still slow so you're going to get less than like 30% of that. Edit: Ok so my guess was wrong, it's about 50% of that, still crap just less crap

All very good, but it will be far more interesting to see navi iGPU in newer series.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So, still VEGA graphic cores? It's weird they haven't stuffed NAVI into their APU's yet. I'd say it's much needed shift. VEGA worked well for lower clocked iGPU's, but it's starting to show its age.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I'd say it's much needed shift. VEGA worked well for lower clocked iGPU's, but it's starting to show its age.

You do know Vega 8 7nm clocks to 2.1GHz? Vega 8 7nm != Vega 8/11 12nm as it's more than just a straight process shrink. It's 700MHz higher than Vega 12nm counterparts along with architectural changes.

image.thumb.png.39b54e7f8394d2113ab61e054c492c11.png

image.thumb.png.9ec3a67bcc6d461c764d6a838c8bdc47.png

image.thumb.png.30cca8fc51143e12b70859dd4a64f048.png

Also figures based on first generation Vega 8 7nm only clocked at 1.75GHz not 2.1GHz.

image.thumb.png.55432d97f94b6a51e5c6aead47837978.png

On 4/14/2021 at 6:26 AM, TetraSky said:

"The fastest graphics in a desktop processor"

Is this really an achievement, when they've held that crown for years already?

shIntel dethroned gAyy-MD for a while with Xe I guess. Now maybe amd is back on top.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:15 AM, Random_Person1234 said:

Gamers Nexus video for anyone interested.

He ain't using freedom units. He is a sinner who uses metric/s

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Then why call it VEGA?!

Maybe they are paying homage to Raja Koduri(Vega was his last project at AMD iirc)

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

He ain't using freedom units. He is a sinner who uses metric/s

23 millionth of an inch. American style.

On 4/14/2021 at 6:49 PM, leadeater said:

Not for a low end/mid range desktop PC, higher end workstations won't be using these and even then PCIe 3.0 is enough for the vast majority of things. Unless you want a dual port 100Gb NIC you won't encounter bandwidth limitations sticking with PCIe 3.0.

doesn't APU only have x8 lanes for GPU though?

unless these are different

pcie 3.0 x8 is like a double whammy, and it's silly on a modern 8c16t cpu that's likely to be paired with a 3080 or something

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'm still using an Athlon 3000g by itself lol I need to look in to this 

On 4/15/2021 at 8:26 AM, Moonzy said:

pcie 3.0 x8 is like a double whammy, and it's silly on a modern 8c16t cpu that's likely to be paired with a 3080 or something

Except in bandwidth terms that's still plenty for VEGA 8. Take a look at this page from Techpowerup - they tested a lot of games using a 3080 but were testing different PCI-E standards, with some tests using x8 rather than x16 going right back to v1.1. Even on PCI-E 2.0 x16 it was 95%+ the performance of running it on a v4.0 slot x16 (which would also be similar, if not the same to using v3.0 x8).

For graphics, PCI-E 4.0, right now, isn't relevant. Also APUs aren't designed to be used with a dGPU - it's a nice backup, especially in the current climate of GPU pricing but in most cases builds with APUs won't be paired with a 3080.

I remember that when the 1st GPUs with PCI-E 3.0 support launched they were just saturating PCI-E 1.1 and that "only" having a PCI-E 2.0 was fine, with online comments saying that the new version wasn't needed at the time (which was true then, and the Techpowerup article confirms that this is true now for PCI-E 4.0). Essentially for GPUs, new PCI-E version support is pretty much a marketing gimmick that, unfortunately, people are buying into.

This time round it's changed somewhat with storage now using PCI-E - booting games/Windows doesn't need it but there are workloads that justify PCI-E 4.0, which could be run on an AMD APU. That's the main problem with these APUs not supporting Gen 4.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

On 4/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, WolframaticAlpha said:

shIntel dethroned gAyy-MD for a while with Xe I guess. Now maybe amd is back on top.

I haven't looked how the Tiger Lake (mobile) Xe implementation compares to these new APUs, but that may be why AMD had to say this was the fastest DESKTOP iGPU. The Xe implementation in Rocket Lake is only 1/3 the execution units of Tiger Lake.

19 hours ago, Moonzy said:

The bigger performance concern to me is the APUs have half the L3 cache compared to the main desktop parts. If you are looking to build a system with a fast GPU it makes more sense to avoid the APUs and go for the desktop parts.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

The bigger performance concern to me is the APUs have half the L3 cache compared to the main desktop parts. If you are looking to build a system with a fast GPU it makes more sense to avoid the APUs and go for the desktop parts.

Damn, if they're equivalent I would've bought them probably, I like having iGPU because it's useful to me

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Damn, if they're equivalent I would've bought them probably, I like having iGPU because it's useful to me

AMD APUs are still monolithic. They want to keep the die size down for cost and yields, and cutting features is a way to do that.

Suppose we should keep it in context. Desktop Zen 3 in full CCX configurations is 4MB/core L3 cache with 0.5MB/core L2. Intel's best (currently mobile only) Tiger Lake is 3MB/core L3 and 1.25MB/core L2. Rocket Lake is 2MB/core L3 and 0.5MB/core L2. So Intel desktop currently has a similar problem to the APUs in that they probably wanted to have bigger caches for more performance but it would increase die sizes with the trade offs that come with it.

The L3 cache will contribute not insignificantly to Zen 3's performance. It would be interesting in due course to see people test the 16 vs 32 MB caches and see how much difference it makes in different workloads. Probably over thinking it here as my gut feeling is the differences, like many things, will be measurable but not that big in absolute terms. Still, the AMD desktop parts just make more sense if paired with a high end GPU.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 hours ago, Moonzy said:

doesn't APU only have x8 lanes for GPU though?

unless these are different

Even at PCIe 3.0 x8 the impact even on very high end GPUs is marginal and no 3080's are unlikely to be paired with these CPUs as you'd be buying Ryzen Desktop not Ryzen Desktop APU. These APUs are legitimately slower than their full desktop counterparts due to multiple factors.

Having an integrated GPU is sort of nice but has it's own drawbacks too, primarily shifting power away from CPU cores even if not active which reduces achievable clocks. The situations where you would actually need another GPU to test a potentially faulty one is few and far between, and for many enthusiasts they have another old GPU anyway.

if these APU´s including the IGPU get solid support under Linux and support hardware accelerated transcoding in Plex these CPU´s will become the number one for anyone building a DIY NAS/Plex server 

Literally the only reason i bought an intel CPU for my NAS was the iGPU is supported in Plex.

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Even at PCIe 3.0 x8 the impact even on very high end GPUs is marginal and no 3080's are unlikely to be paired with these CPUs as you'd be buying Ryzen Desktop not Ryzen Desktop APU. These APUs are legitimately slower than their full desktop counterparts due to multiple factors.

Having an integrated GPU is sort of nice but has it's own drawbacks too, primarily shifting power away from CPU cores even if not active which reduces achievable clocks. The situations where you would actually need another GPU to test a potentially faulty one is few and far between, and for many enthusiasts they have another old GPU anyway.

I just want it because GPU nowadays only comes with 1 HDMI port while I need 2 😭

And using adapters has been giving me headaches

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I just want it because GPU nowadays only comes with 1 HDMI port while I need 2 😭

There are some but yea few and far between, and not always a GPU you would prefer to get over another.