AMD announces Zen 3 APUs with "the world's fastest graphics in a desktop processor", OEM only for now

Random_Person1234
On 4/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, Random_Person1234 said:

the world's fastest graphics in a desktop processor

It will be interesting to see the benchmarks between this and the M1 because Apple also claimed that they had the "World's fastest integrated graphics in a desktop processor".

On 4/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, Random_Person1234 said:

as it would use up even more of their TSMC 7nm space.

I thought that deep dive analysis LTT made on the chip shortages showed that CPU production will be meeting demand within the next few months (I mean going on US Amazon right now and I see the 5800x at MSRP so he wasn't entirely wrong). If that is the case, why not release really good APUs now for people who can't afford to buy GPUs from scalpers? First time builders with no other GPUs are screwed until at least 2022 when GPU supply reaches demand, or when people stop gaming and go outside again, whichever comes first.

I mean the UHD Graphics on an Intel CPU is still better than the *nothing* you would get on a high end Ryzen system. And it's not like they can buy a console that isn't last gen anyways.

And I was under the assumption that TSMC is currently running at 100% capacity already. They don't have anymore space they can give.

2 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

It will be interesting to see the benchmarks between this and the M1 because Apple also claimed that they had the "World's fastest integrated graphics in a desktop processor".

I guess you could make the argument that the M1 is more of a "mobile" processor than a "desktop"  processor. I think the mobile Tiger Lake and mobile Zen 3 have better iGPUs than these APUs, although I don't know how they stack up against the M1.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

1 minute ago, Random_Person1234 said:

I guess you could make the argument that the M1 is more of a "mobile" processor than a "desktop"  processor. I think the mobile Tiger Lake and mobile Zen 3 have better iGPUs than these APUs, although I don't know how they stack up against the M1.

I mean the M1 did come to the Mac mini.

It's the same core, it's just allowed to boost longer because of the mini's better cooling capacity. Same with how Renoir came to the desktop with chips like the R7 4750g (but there are many more differences between mobile Renoir chips and desktop Renoir chips than mobile M1 and desktop M1).

From what I've seen from benchmarks though, the M1 performs about on par with a 560X in gaming.

9 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

It'd be interesting to see how these new desktop APUs eventually compare with AMDs mobile offerings, Xe desktop, Xe mobile, and Apple's offerings. Out of interest, does anyone know how the current mobile AMD iGPUs stack up against Intel Xe?

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

32 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

It'd be interesting to see how these new desktop APUs eventually compare with AMDs mobile offerings, Xe desktop, Xe mobile, and Apple's offerings. Out of interest, does anyone know how the current mobile AMD iGPUs stack up against Intel Xe?

Funny you say that

Hardware Unboxed just did that.

Is it really the fastest iGPU? I thought the M1 was on par with a Radon 560X or something, so it'll be cool to see how the M1 performs compared to these.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:59 AM, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

I mean the M1 did come to the Mac mini.

Similarly there are Intel NUCs with Intel Mobile CPUs in them.

Either way the new Ryzen 5000 APUs with the GPU clock bump will have similar raw FP32 TFLOPs as the GPU in the M1, M1 should be slightly higher still though. But I think you'll see the Ryzen APU performing better in games and the M1 performing better at application acceleration.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Similarly there are Intel NUCs with Intel Mobile CPUs in them.

And there's a mobile Haswell in a desktop board in my living room. As long as the BIOS will run it, someone will solder a discarded mobile CPU to a desktop package and sell it. I'd LOVE to get my hands on a nice mobile Ryzen APU for a low power HTPC build with a decent iGPU. I could get away with a very small case, external power supply brick, and a pretty diminutive heat sink AND still have acceptable performance.