AMD announces Zen 3 APUs with "the world's fastest graphics in a desktop processor", OEM only for now

Random_Person1234

Summary

AMD announced the first Ryzen 5000 APUs today. Unlike previous AMD Ryzen APUs, the numbering in its name will correspond with the same microarchitecture as AMD's desktop CPU parts. Therefore, these APUs are based off the Zen 3 microarchitecture. The APUs announced today are the 4c/8t Ryzen 3 5300G and 5300GE, the 6c/12t Ryzen 5 5600G and 5600GE, and the 8c/16t Ryzen 7 5700G and 5700GE. These APUs may garner more interest this time due to the current shortage of GPUs, with AMD saying that these APUs have "the world's fastest graphics in a desktop processor." AMD also says these APUs can handle "smooth, 1080P gaming right out of the box." But those interested at using these APUs as a stopgap solution will be disappointed in the fact that they will be OEM only for now. They are planned to be released to the DIY market later this year.

Quotes

From AMD marketing:

Count on a PC that’s fast, efficient, and reliable with the world’s most advanced 7nm processor core technology1 at the heart of your system. AMD Ryzen 5000 G-Series Desktop Processors with Radeon™ Graphics are designed with industry-leading 7nm process “Zen 3” processor technology for faster, efficient processing to get it all done, faster than ever before, while running cool and quiet.

Be immersed in every detail as you edit photos and videos, get amazingly smooth HD gaming, and stream your favorite shows in vibrant 4K, HDR. AMD Ryzen™ 5000 G-Series Desktop Processors deliver the fastest graphics performance available in a desktop processor3 with AMD Radeon™ Graphics built right in. Enjoy smooth, 1080P gaming right out of the box, no additional graphics card required; and an easy path to future upgrades like graphics cards for HD+ gaming when you’re ready.

The AMD Ryzen 5000 G-Series will initially be available in pre-built systems and look forward to bringing it to the channel for DIY customers later this year. 

My thoughts

I'm disappointed that these APUs will be OEM only like the 4000 series APUs. Although I do understand why AMD may not want to release this to the DIY market now, as it would use up even more of their TSMC 7nm space.

Sources

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-with-graphics#Model-Specifications

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-announces-ryzen-5000-g-series-desktop-processors-with-radeon-graphic.html

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

If they get macOS drivers, I'm sold.

I wonder if AMD will release the 5900 (non X) to consumers as well?

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

If they get macOS drivers, I'm sold.

I wonder if AMD will release the 5900 (non X) to consumers as well?

I wouldn't bet on it since they didn't release the 3900 non-X to consumers.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

7 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

will be disappointed in the fact that they will be OEM only for now. They are planned to be released to the DIY market later this year.

damn it

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Why OEM only though?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Why OEM only though?

don't have the capacity with TSMC to make them in enough bulk to sell separately most likely

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

"The fastest graphics in a desktop processor"

Is this really an achievement, when they've held that crown for years already?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

"The fastest graphics in a desktop processor"

Is this really an achievement, when they've held that crown for years already?

it's just like every time there's an upgraded model of <product> released.

Like Apple always say "the fastest iPhone yet"....yeah i would hope so, it's the new one.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Like Apple always say "the fastest iPhone yet"....yeah i would hope so, it's the new one.

And they are also the only ones who can make iPhones... So... Yeah, not really an achievement either. Just something that's par for the course.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

it's just like every time there's an upgraded model of <product> released.

The thing that I didn't put in the main post is that these iGPUs are around the same and might actually be slower than last gen. The iGPUs in each are the same as their direct predecessors, but the 5700G has a 100 MHz downclock on it's graphics frequency compared to the 4700G.

13 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

The thing that I didn't put in the main post is that these iGPUs are around the same and might actually be slower than last gen. The iGPUs in each are the same as their direct predecessors, but the 5700G has a 100 MHz downclock on it's graphics frequency compared to the 4700G.

100MHz is nothing, it's a new generation of vega GPUs.

it's like saying a 2060 might be better than a 3060 because the 3060 is downclocked by 100 Mhz.

Which if that is the case, then AMD is massively incompetent by making the new generation of Vega worse than the previous gen.

EDIT: and would also make them liars, because they said "5000 G-Series Desktop Processors deliver the fastest graphics performance available in a desktop processor" which would mean they are NOT the fastest because the previous gen would have been better.

Spoiler

not that AMD hasn't lied in the past...

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

100MHz is nothing, it's a new generation of vega GPUs.

it's like saying a 2060 might be better than a 3060 because the 3060 is downclocked by 100 Mhz.

Which if that is the case, then AMD is massively incompetent by making the new generation of Vega worse than the previous gen.

I think, and I may be wrong, that these iGPUs are on the same generation of Vega GPUs.

Safe to assume these OEM desktops will be for the consumer market (BestBuy, Walmart, Costco, etc) and not business/office ?

2 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Safe to assume these OEM desktops will be for the consumer market (BestBuy, Walmart, Costco, etc) and not business/office ?

I would think so. The Ryzen 4000 (Zen 2) APUs were also OEM only and were available in the consumer market.

I think one of these would be a solid contender for rebuilding my HTPC without a dGPU, it sounds like it's got enough power to run the post processing and upscaling.

They may be OEM only but looking around I don't see any OEM computers based around it.  Usually the release of the chip would go hand in hand with available systems.  To me this looks like launching it to just ... confirm what has been leaked already.  

Basically anyone who bought a Board that would support graphics got screwed if they don't ever release an upgraded processor for them.  Of course they don't have to do anything etc etc.  It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.  If a good updated APU or dGPU are all now unobtainable then we might as well declare that DIY PC building is on life support.  At the very least on life support.  

Hopefully Boxed processors for DIY builds and also possible upgrades for other AM4 platforms will be a thing in a month or two and not in 6 months.   

Is the 4000-series APU still OEM only? It haven't be released for DIY market?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

14 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Is the 4000-series APU still OEM only? It haven't be released for DIY market?

Yeah.  As far as I know.  People have been able to buy them off Ebay.  
image.thumb.png.d45e80664f9c946baab7320f289129fd.png

from HP Germany but likely in the US and rest of the world soon enough.

This is a taste of what is possible if one buys a pre built.  Makes me want to demote my current computer to being a server or something and just get this.  ALMOST.  I really don't like the case. 

You see that right they gave it a APU AND a dGPU.  A 3060ti.  So we know where all the parts are going. 

The use case for this is as I have written elsewhere on this board.  This could be used very well for someone who wants to use Linux and passthrough that GPU for gaming, or use the "hack", to use Nvidia vGPU software with it.  This would be an awesome computer in many ways.  

I just don't see why it is necessary to totally starve out us DIYers.

3 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Yeah.  As far as I know.  People have been able to buy them off Ebay.  
image.thumb.png.d45e80664f9c946baab7320f289129fd.png

from HP Germany but likely in the US and rest of the world soon enough.

This is a taste of what is possible if one buys a pre built.  Makes me want to demote my current computer to being a server or something and just get this.  ALMOST.  I really don't like the case. 

You see that right they gave it a APU AND a dGPU.  A 3060ti.  So we know where all the parts are going. 

The use case for this is as I have written elsewhere on this board.  This could be used very well for someone who wants to use Linux and passthrough that GPU for gaming, or use the "hack", to use Nvidia vGPU software with it.  This would be an awesome computer in many ways.  

I just don't see why it is necessary to totally starve out us DIYers.

Maybe the OEM pays AMD extra to make it exclusive for them. Really makes you think.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

4 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Maybe the OEM pays AMD extra to make it exclusive for them. Really makes you think.

This is a distinct possibility. Per unit they certainly pay less .... but they can as part of their deal pay AMD millions, tens of millions for a secure supply to make computers with. 

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

This is a distinct possibility. Per unit they certainly pay less .... but they can as part of their deal pay AMD millions, tens of millions for a secure supply to make computers with. 

So it's literally reverse Intel.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

Gamers Nexus video for anyone interested.

It was not clear to me, are these available to the public or they will be just available through pre-build?

Now waiting for laptop part, and for those future laptop to have thunderbolt

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>