Asrock Phantom Gaming OC 7800 XT and fitting in case

Go to solution Solved by Salted Spinach,

Should fit going by that picture above if its actually a 302mm card (it looks like it can take something that is 28mm longer)

Manufacturers may have consistent measurement methodology within their own business, some based on the assumption that the front fans are mounted inside and not outside. This would be more prudent. Even when the stock configuration has the fans outside.

Or perhaps its to prevent people from complaining about the lack of space when mounting extra fans or radiator in front. The case design clearly allows that to happen judging by the cutout at the front of the PSU shroud

Hi, I am confused by if this card the asrock phantom gaming oc 7800xt will fit in my case the Thermaltake v250 tg argb. The 7800 xt says it’s 328 mm in length and the website of the case says max of 320mm. When actually measuring, the inside of the case to the front fans is about 14 inches or 355mm. There are no other obstructions in the way. I am confused by why they would market it as fitting less. Need advice, thank you!

I couldn't tell you, however I can tell you that this kind of inconsistency is quite common. Its far more useful to simply look at completed builds in the case of choice, then lookup the length of the GPU being used.

This is easier the more popular a case is with modern higher end systems. That case doesn't seem super popular for anything but mid to low end builds so there aren't many great examples: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/jFH8TW#page=1

*edit* 

Found a 302mm long 7800xt here in that case: 

445660.4a4e7b3f78f136cea979a7b913bf598b.1600.jpg

Should fit going by that picture above if its actually a 302mm card (it looks like it can take something that is 28mm longer)

Manufacturers may have consistent measurement methodology within their own business, some based on the assumption that the front fans are mounted inside and not outside. This would be more prudent. Even when the stock configuration has the fans outside.

Or perhaps its to prevent people from complaining about the lack of space when mounting extra fans or radiator in front. The case design clearly allows that to happen judging by the cutout at the front of the PSU shroud

11 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

Thank you! I figured it was probably something to do with extra things being put in because there is a lot of extra space.

20 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I couldn't tell you, however I can tell you that this kind of inconsistency is quite common. Its far more useful to simply look at completed builds in the case of choice, then lookup the length of the GPU being used.

This is easier the more popular a case is with modern higher end systems. That case doesn't seem super popular for anything but mid to low end builds so there aren't many great examples: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/jFH8TW#page=1

*edit* 

Found a 302mm long 7800xt here in that case: 

445660.4a4e7b3f78f136cea979a7b913bf598b.1600.jpg

Thank you! The card will probably fit then. I ordered it and it’s coming Wednesday. I will update when I have it.

On 5/20/2024 at 8:11 AM, Salted Spinach said:

image.jpg