Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Apropos of the Borg cube case...

This would be a big project to do right, but I'd love to see the workshop people create a serious guide to what you need to know if you want to create your own case. I mean create completely from scratch, as a maker with tools and skills, who has built computers in normal cases, but never having made a computer case myself. I have some cool ideas, but I can see it would be a big project that would likely to fail at numerous points due to ignorance of silly little details. I'd love to see a really thorough job of this, where you go through things to watch out for with different materials, things you have to think out in advance, lots of things not to do, and suggestions for resources for some things (including places like OSHpark/OSHcut for creating the precision parts if you want to go that way). It would also be useful for serious case modders.

Idk how exactly explain this but a desktop setup where all the parts are parted out and go via USB and Thunderbolt.

For example, the base is an Intel NUC or similar mini PC with thunderbilt, them a thunderbolt eGPU, then an HDD dock for storage, USB 3.0 nVME for boot drive.

A year ago you posted a video that you installed Windows on the steam deck and regretted it.  A lot has changed since then, is SteamOS still the better option?  A video comparing the two a year in would be nice.

Hi, so we have a great idea for a video with something we have found. It seems to be a consistent issue that my co-worker and I have been coming across since PCIE Gen 5 boards have been available. Essentially, the 4th Gen M.2 NVME's or older don't seem to work very nice with Gen 5 slots running at Gen 5 speeds/auto within Bios. We have had a quite a few next gen boards (Z690/Z790 and B650/X670) with system instability. The symptoms shown are quite a bit of windows corruptions, failure to install video drivers on occasion or poor gaming performance when populated in the slot. While we don't have a large sample size (roughly 50 systems - most of the boards within our sample are ASUS but also include MSI and Aorus elite boards). In most scenarios we see this behavior change when the drives are placed in a gen 4 slot. However, we believe it may be a signaling issues with boards not providing the correct generation signal and in turn data communication becomes unstable. This is due to the fact we have found that adjusting the slots performance in bios to gen 4 seems to correct the issue. We find that typically after adjusting the performance a SFC and a fresh video driver install correct the corruptions and instabilities that occur due to the previous problem stated.

Not exactly a video suggestion.. but regarding the planned printer reviews mentioned on the WAN Show.

I accidentally got deep into printing... long story, but some observations on what makes a good printer.

Standard transport (IPP) and format (PDF/PWG and JPEG) is a good starting point.

The best way to test, and good info in itself, is that it should work with Android and iOS with the built-in printing support, i.e. not with a special app.

Furthermore: WiFi and other essential config should not need an app - chances are apps will stop working way before the hardware does.

Web-based config will stand the test of time unless they really mess up.

Anything that does not conform to the above runs a great risk of basically being manufactured eWaste.

Then there is the obvious stuff: quality, speed and economy, incl 3rd party toner compatibility.

Feel free to poke me about a primer on IPP and the formats used if that's interesting to you (no, i don't want a job or payment).

Jpeg XL

A direct replacement to almost every image format, halving the size of PNGs losslessly or even 1/50 in a HDR test I did using a larger Blender render. It's essentially what AV1 was for video, but for some reason not a single tech channel has talked about it, or the fact it's getting shunned to the corner by Google.

I'll keep it brief, but seeing how big of a deal AV1 was and how many videos were made on it, I thought it could be a good topic for the WAN show if not the main channel (I know it's hard to make it entertaining when it's just "Woah, it's twice as small and does 10x as much!"). It even has some AI tests focusing in on where you look first when it loads, or mixing lossless and lossy in the same file for when it detects pixel art or logos versus photos, so believe me when I say you can end up talking about it for hours haha.

One last thing I'll note, there tends to be a lot of argument about AVIF versus JXL, even on the JpegXL Discord we agree that AVIF is far better for replacing GIF or ultra low storage, but there's just so many possibilities that no one seems to be talking about.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:26 PM, jkr4m3r said:

Did you try the rudimentary instructions on their website?

Q1: Please disable/uninstall any Bluetooth related devices and reboot your PC before using the UGREEN 5.3 Bluetooth adapter.
1. Press Win + X and select Device Manager from the menu options.
2. Expand the Bluetooth option by double-clicking on it.
3. Right-click your PC's Bluetooth driver and select Disable device.
4. Restart your PC when you finish.

I'm curious because I've had crap luck with every Bluetooth device I've ever bought. I think Bluetooth in general sucks, hopefully it "matures" eventually. After all, it's only been around for 20 years.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that before and repeated it just now but when you restart your PC it just re-installs the 2006 "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" driver 😅.

Hi,

I wanted to suggest an idea for a video, but I don't have the equipment (and your brand-new lab can respond i think) to carry out this test. So, I'm throwing this message in a bottle. I noticed that my old GTX 980 with its 4 GB of VRAM is struggling to run the latest games, but Windows shares available RAM to artificially increase the VRAM (at a cost of 100ms latency on CP77, I know it's huge). My PC has DDR4 3200MHz. I was wondering if with DDR5 and lower latency, it would be possible to reduce latency (and by how much) and allow my graphics card to run the latest games for longer. I hope to have the chance to see a video on this topic someday. A French admirer.

1 hour ago, Agent Crimson said:

Holy Sh$t about Liqid's Badger Den was really fun, maybe you can take a look at more of their stuff with Composable Infrastructure.

https://www.liqid.com/dell/solution-bundles/application/composable-gpu

For what workloads though?  Given PCIe Gen 3x16 max this is obviously going to be for very specific workloads.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

a video on what ever the hell this is

Smol 😄

image.thumb.jpeg.cd0c24fc00173c84f2128dbb6efe51e9.jpeg

Looks like a company that rents LED display panels for conventions etc doing some viral marketing

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Who manufactures the worst ewaste.

Do a collection of Nvidia's worst current production GPU vs AMD's vs Intel's and determine where the line of "acceptable if you must" is for people that are okay playing eSports games and indie games. 

DC Fast Charging. The chargers themselves have some great tech involved. How the chargers communicate with the vehicles, the protocols in place, explain charging speeds and how cars can accept certain charge speeds, battery conditioning etc. 

Linus said hes never DCFC his Porsche recently, he should do his 1st time at a local DCFC Electrify Canada station and do a review /w them!

Project Idea - In follow up to your recent video on the external watercooler for the SFF PC, about 15 years ago Koolance made a much more 'grown up' version of this, the ERM-3K4U5 which was a 4U rackmount external cooler with five separate cooling loops in a single unit which (they said) is good for cooling up to 20 PCs simultaneously. If you can track one down, could be cool for a multi PC / whole server room cooling project? 

https://koolance.com/erm-3k4u5-liquid-cooling-system

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cool work from home setups, what employees like to use, what works best,

What jobs prefer coming to office (probably Alex cuz power tools) and how they manage when they have to work from home if they don't want to. 

Could tie into a sponsorship with an OEM with laptop options and desktop options. 

Maybe get some small businesses a nice deal on remote collaboration setups. 

Maybe even talk about laptops vs tablets for work from home. 

Windows vs ipad vs Android tablets for productivity, office work, etc. 

Maybe make edzel use one for a week for about a month since iirc, he's more human resources/managing/scrum master equivalent if he's still in that position that was mentioned in a video a while back. 

James is also pretty managerial. 

Plus I like seeing those guys on camera and it has been a while since we saw them for more than short segments. 

Oh, and Nick light because he can't hide from us forever!!!

Maybe Colton cuz he's a goofy lad himself. 

Prolly over scope to have so many working on a video, but I can dream up cool videos. 

Screenshot_20230421-085924_Chrome.jpg.7324c66b977fd5e13bfe463e74dfa569.jpgGood morning

I am following lots of your videos. Thank you!
 I liked a lot one of the videos where you talk about  3D TV's. 
Would your studio possibly do a video about 3D Edison?

Apparently it is some sort of device that let's experience 3D watching on 2D displays..

I would like to see a video on setting up color setting on a monitor. Some monitors have so many settings it feels like an endless guessing game.

A chassis that triples as a radiator, reservoir, and fully functional case

This case would BE everything you need for water cooling. I'm not talking about a case with all the liquid cooling essentials included inside of it, what i mean is to use each water cooling part as a piece of the case. Radiators with included fans for the side panels and top, dual reservoirs in the front and back, and a replaceable pump somewhere easily accessible. I'm sure such a case would cost upwards of $400, but I'd certainly buy one if the temps were topping the charts.

Not only would such a case potentially save a lot of time setting up liquid cooling, it should also save a lot space inside and present a cleaner look.

16 minutes ago, criznittle said:

This case would BE everything you need for water cooling. I'm not talking about a case with all the liquid cooling essentials included inside of it, what i mean is to use each water cooling part as a piece of the case. Radiators with included fans for the side panels and top, dual reservoirs in the front and back, and a replaceable pump somewhere easily accessible. I'm sure such a case would cost upwards of $400, but I'd certainly buy one if the temps were topping the charts.

Not only would such a case potentially save a lot of time setting up liquid cooling, it should also save a lot space inside and present a cleaner look.

I have merged your video idea thread into the LTT Video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

On 4/19/2023 at 8:52 PM, Agent Crimson said:

Holy Sh$t about Liqid's Badger Den was really fun, maybe you can take a look at more of their stuff with Composable Infrastructure.

https://www.liqid.com/dell/solution-bundles/application/composable-gpu

who the hell would want to compost a gpu? how does that even work? is it made out of food or what

Can you please build a framework Mainboard into Bass and send it to Davie504? That would bring attention to an I guess quiet different member base (pun intended). 

Maybe Alex can simply CNC the back out and then it's quite easy to integrate the small framework notebook Mainboard into the Bass. 

Hi guys! 

So, I know you guys have done some videos on the intel arc, but, I don't see any intel arc and ubuntu related in the videos. 

To make a long story short, I was having issues with my arc, random blackscreens for like a month. I was first of all surprised whenever I got a response at all from intel about it. But they helped me see reason that it's probably hardware, and it was, I didn't press in one of the rams all the way into the socket. But before that I installed Ubuntu to try and make sure that it wasn't a driver issue on their part. Anyway after having fixed the ram issue and still only having ubuntu installed, i downloaded steam and apex legends, graphics settings mostly low except for the video buffer on max and filtering on x16, I was getting 100+ frames per second, stable and clear gameplay. After that i disengaged the fps counter can't say what it was, increased the graphics more and, as i have a samsung odyssey screen, put on on to 4k, gameplay still solid if i had to guess 60+ fps. The driver installation was kinda long winded but worth it. maybe something worth looking at?