Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 4/29/2024 at 4:43 PM, GoStormPlays said:

I would try to email the linustechtips email (info@linusmediagroup.com)

As for the contests, as an active Beat Saber player myself, how would you enter some of these competitions?

Will do, thank you very much.

As for entering competitions, it highly depends on your level. Message me on Discord and I'll point you to the correct places.

Please please buy this Linus and make a video about it! 

FB_IMG_1714773549048.jpg

I was recently made aware of the fact that the MagicLeap 2 has launched, and furthermore is in stock and buyable from a few retailers.

https://www.magicleap.com/buy-now

Its price is exactly the same as the Apple Vision Pro, $3500.

https://www.adorama.com/mlm90aa004.html

That's not the only thing similar either. It's got a very similar compute puck you put in your pocket, it's got hand and eye tracking, built in speakers firing down from the band, and more.

https://cdn.sanity.io/files/af85qi1m/production/75fe4d0dbeb396bfe282789a644aecf52cbe7b28.pdf?dl=

I would be very interested to see a review / comparison, and also an x-ray with the Lumafield. I'm sure I'm not the only one. This is, however, extremely not aimed at consumers. Everything on their site indicates in no uncertain terms that this is an industry facing product, and so likely does not have a ton of comparable software. Without dropping the cash on it myself, however, it's hard to know.

I've heard Linus mention how he wishes UV would come back in style. While it hasn't and more than likely won't, www.performance-pcs.com sells a decent amount of prob new-old stock. They have a decent amount of UV supplies. I think he should build the PC he always wanted back then, today. High-end everything with UV. It would be a classic build for the channel.

I was wondering if your team could make a video on how to make an easy home server where you can safely store family pics and/or videos but also make it easy for the non-techie people in your family to access and upload files to share with the rest of your family and friends.  (maybe 2 part vid 1 the build and 1 the software??)

I like OneDrive, Google, Amazon and other cloud services but I don't always want to upload all my personal content to an online service where I feel like they will likely try to use profiling software or face recognition to tie to other people or perhaps link to social media services/marketing. Love what y'all do. Thx!

The Trust me bro Trust gaming setup. There's a company called Trust that makes gaming stuff. I'd like to see a build with only their stuff.

Forgive my ignorance if this has already been suggested, but I would like an updated video on building/buying a PC for engineering workloads. As a student pursuing an engineering degree, my computer's performance in parametric CAD software (Solidworks, Creo parametric, Fusion 360, Auto Desk) is important for many assignments. Having a powerful computer reduces stress as you have to spend less time waiting for the computer to work.

There are videos out there already about what computers to buy for professional engineering workloads, but I want to build my own computer rather than buy it. In the last video on this topic, you referenced Quadro cards which have gone the way of the doo-doo bird. It would be nice to compare the performance of professional GPUs to a wide variety of consumer GPUs noting which specs of a GPU are important to CAD workloads. I would also like to see a buyer's guide for buying a laptop for engineering.

It would also be nice if you included CAD software in your benchmark suite, as the closest marker for performance is Blender which is not a parametric CAD software.

I would also like to see how Mac computers hold up in these workloads. I would also implore Dassult Systems to support native Apple hardware.

Thanks!

Would like to see the "cheapest custom watercooled PC" build. What is the cheapest PC you can make with new parts that is custom watercooled not using an AIO, maybe for something like an RTX 3080

Hi ! I was doing a bit of research on dedicated car navigation systems and I can’t find any real product reviews, just top 5’s and listicles . Is it even worth buying one in the first place ? I think that would be an interesting video ! 

I just learned about diamonds' high thermal conductivity. Lab-grown diamonds aren't impossibly expensive, right?

How about a video about making some sort of ultimate cooling solution using synthetic diamonds?

You guys should really review this SSD. They are claiming to be the fastest and my deadass bought one to check them out but was shocked to see the crazy speed. attached is the cristal disk benchmark. 

https://www.amazon.com/XOC-G300-Gen3-NVMe-Write/dp/B0CYJVN2BB/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.A2As9WwUuz7CVm6_vnXr4g.ETcrtXxKJTeMunLAmTqRx4rdyP7xb0oKRDo2iO0qnOs&dib_tag=se&keywords=xoc%2Bg300&qid=1715104707&s=electronics&sr=1-1&th=1

Screenshot 2024-05-08 000451.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-08 000452.png

LTT has reviewed a few electric cars, how about something a bit different. An electric airplane, the Pipistrel Velis Electro. Unfortunately, I think there's only one in BC, and I think it might be a bit aways from y'all.

Bit of a 'scoop', and since LTT has influence in the industry, I thought you might be interested. Basically, Google is sabotaging **every** Firefox user by making Youtube much, much slower, buggier, and for me, even crashing the entire browser.

The problems 100% disappear when you spoof your browser to trick Youtube into thinking it's a Chrome browser, which is basically 100% valid proof that they're actively making the site worse for Firefox users.

Would it be possible to put a PC of some description into a Switch lite, no idea if its even possible to get the buttons/touch screen functioning or not, it'd be cool if it was possible.

With Telus in Canada and other ISPs in the US beginning to offer higher than 1Gbps speeds, a look at how to connect these incoming fiber lines from the ISP directly to your home network and cut out the ISP hardware would be really cool. For example, how to connect a Telus 3Gbps fiber line directly to a Ubiquiti UDM-Pro, and then serve the rest of your network with up to 10Gbps speeds. 

Video Idea, Family Excursion to Down Under (Austral-asia) Where you build the ULTIMATE Gaming RV Off-road Camping Vehicle with Donut Media!!!!!!!!!!!

With all the fancy new testing gear you've got in the labs, how about a test of some USB plug in power supplies? You could do the little USB-A and USB-C 'wall wart' power 'bricks', and do one for universal laptop power supplies, and the USB-C higher powered chargers commonly offered for Chromebook charging. Try common brands like Belkin and Anker, as well as store brands and random generic stuff.

The channel has on several occations spoken about the advantages of hall effect joysticks. This video suggests there might be possible downsides, but I don't know nearly enough to further examine. Might be worth looking into? Maybe not for a video on its own perhaps, but still.

Scrapyard wars in México, Trust me It Is harder than you think, wanna do It even worst, dont use Facebook market place. I suggest this because for USA and Canada it's easier, bit down here, we are in hard mode, yeah you told us to look for old computers but besides marketplace (sells all the PCs as new) you don't have any other options.

Im not mad, it's just that it would be cool to see a video that I can use, and not only dream about it.

LTT needs to make a video about VOIP for home use. Currently I pay $30/month for a home phone from my local broadband provider Xfinity. It doesn't take a lot to get that number transferred and change my bill to under $10/month and I know there's a way to only pay for the DID if you self host all of the things, but I have no idea how that's done. So some sort of video about PBX/VOIP service. This video could appeal to a wide audience such as normal people like me who spend too much on a home phone as well as small business owners that need a cost effective way to have a business line using something like Zoiper or Free Switch. Not sure where this idea will take you, but this is definitely something I think LTT should do. Compare the different voip providers (ooma, voip.ms, axvoice, etc) and see what's the most budget friendly and whatnot.

Dear LMG, I enjoy watching your videos and tune into the WAN show every week. I thought this may be a good point of discussion to bring up as you may not be aware.

To keep this message short, I have been through multiple dead cards now sent to me from EVGA as part of the RMA process, when I was just initially RMA'ing a card that was working fine, but just had a loose HDMI port.

They are now sending me the 4th 3080ti, after asking them over the phone what they do to test these as the last one they sent me worked unless it was under load, and I was told explicitly that they do not test RMA units before sending them out. Since they do not make GPUs any more as they have exited the market all units they send out are refurbished units, they do not provide the option of a new unit or even a refund, so now I (and many others) are stuck in RMA hell, receiving untested "refurbished" units with absolutely zero way out.

The kicker is that I have this all recorded, every phone call I have had with them has been recorded on my phone as I am based in Scotland where it is a one-party consent system. I can provide these calls as well as my email chain history if you wish to use them as a discussion topic in a future video or WAN show.

I did a write up that got some attention on the nvidea subreddit that hit the sub frontpage, you can view the whole process in more detail on that post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/1cod98g/the_quality_of_the_rma_process_since_evga_has

I would recommend reading the comments as some people have pointed out some solid advice that I have already tried, as well as I have included some additional information there.

There are many more threads than just my own discussing their issues with the EVGA RMA process for GPUs still under warranty when they ceased production of said GPUs, so it could be helpful to have a read there also and correlate some issues between to relay to the audience or even directly to EVGA.

Just to provide further evidence that I am the original poster of the above thread, here is a photo of my original GPU after it made it's way through customs and subsequently received a drop so impressive, and with such force to bend the IO bracket it even puts Linus to shamespacer.png

With summer approaching, this one might be an interesting video topic for laptop users. Specifically those who use the laptop laying down or on their lap.

What would be a comfortable and good laptop cooler? Almost every cooler product out there is designed for laptop use on a stable platform (i.e. table). However, I know many people in my circle - and including myself - that often times use their laptop on or lap sitting down in the sofa or laying down (laptop on their stomach).

These people require a more comfortable laptop cooler and one which can hold the laptop stable.

Example:

This one is not suitable for this purpose (as most products, they need a table):  LINK

This one is suitable, and is one of the handful examples that I am able to find: LINK

I have a video idea for the badminton court projector setup. As the screen is so big, you could connect 4 X games consoles and use a 4x1 quad hdmi splitter/adapter to give each console a quarter of the screen each.

You could then fire up a 4 player game on each console and play a 16 player game, all on the same screen. Imagine playing Mario Kart or Halo with 16 local players, all on one screen! 

Depending on the console that's used, there's scope for tech discussions on screen splitting, using retro modded consoles in 2024 and reliably getting 4 X consoles to work together via a local ethernet connection. 

I think just having a thumbnail with 16 instances of Mario Kart or Halo would be fairly intriguing for potential viewers to click on! And a cursory search on YouTube suggests that this isn't something that many people have done before.