Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Everything I ned to know about moniters, 

that subject is kinf of hazy,

A deep dive is needed

I was just watching this video from @PlasmaChannel where he’s working on ionic thrusters:

I was wondering if you guys would be down for contacting him about a collab where you cool a PC with ionic thrusters instead of pc fans! That would be AWESOME!

You guys have made some amazing roundup videos of keyboards, mice, headsets and such. Have you considered making one for portable monitors?

with more and more people getting into portable computing, I feel a video discussing portable monitors, their pros and cons and which ones are worth buying would be awesome - not to mention it would be a fun project for labs to disprove a ton of manufactures’ claims.

As mentioned here, in theory you should be able to map a network drive as an install location for Steam. I would love to see what that looks like and any drawbacks inherent. 

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

We know Linus is $$$$$RICH$$$$$

But is he "If I ever win the lottery I'm making a keyboard out of pure tungsten including keycaps" rich?

And does THE LAB have the skills and resources to pull this off?

Or are they going to fuck it up poorly and waste a ton of money, just like this segue to our sponsor, DBRAND!

There I started your script for you.

A video on the abysmal support of Avif HDR images across a wide range of needs. If you want to produce and show HDR images it is basically impossible.

Much of this is discussed on this website which is a FANTASTIC source, and I highly recommend viewing on a PC with HDR on. Visiting this site will also reveal some of the issues for some of you.

Create and edit true HDR (High Dynamic Range) images - Greg Benz Photography

But here's a outline of some of the problems.

Creation:

• Photoshop at least on windows does not support HDR display in its viewport, it only supports display HDR in Camera Raw which is effectively a second program beside photoshop that takes weird steps to open up. It's worthless for working with PSD's. 
  • You cannot save AVIF or JXL without using Camera Raw in photoshop, same problems.
  • Affinity photo does not let you save AVIF. Why not use JXL? I'll explain later. 
  • JXR, the most common consumer HDR image format thanks to Xbox and Xbox Gamebar, CANNOT be created otherwise. All solutions for saving the format are either too old and out of date, or simply don't save an HDR image.

Viewing:

• AVIF support is on chrome, GREAT! But for some reason it's not on Edge and Firefox (which has ZERO HDR support) a combined 20% of the market share. (Edge apparently blames this on a licensing issue?)
  • JXL support was removed from chrome recently for some reason, which is effectively making it a dead format
  • There is no gallery or social media website you can upload HDR AVIF files.
  • Windows photos app supports HDR JXR images and displays them as such, it's fucking awesome but only is viable for game screenshots (Example). It does not do this with any other format. AVIF images worked for a bit in photo's though not in HDR but recently they stopped. 
  • Other image viewers that support the formats don't support showing them in HDR (Looking at you XnView)
  • No android device supports HDR images despite like every goddamned phone supporting HDR and having HDR screens. 

Seemingly only Apple is ahead of the curve on this shit.

AVIF is awesome cause the Images are tiny, even in HDR. An AVIF is 200kb maintaining HDR color, while an EXR, HDR, JXL is 8-20MB. This format SHOULD replace jpeg.

I'm a painter who wants to show the glory of HDR to his audience and it's basically impossible! I thought JXR would at least be semi viable but it's just impossible to create that format. I can't find a remotely viable way to show HDR images to people. 

Help Kallmekris with a security system at her new house. This is heartbreaking. People found her house and she has had some scary stalking situations. Of course without showing her house or layout. She seems really scared. It's affecting her mental health. https://youtu.be/iO5rYBVB56s

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

Given that you've reviewed the Starlink service before, and that spaceX is now moving faster in the development of starship allowing the deployment of larger starlink satellites, do you have any plans or wishes to cover the satellite technology directly, perhaps by visiting Starbase (it looks like Luke loves to visit facilities)

Maybe a video on those Raspberry PI clusters? They could try to build one and see how fast it is

Possibly about PWM flickering in many olds and lcd screens making many modern devices unusable. Maybe labs testing or a tech quickie.

Build your own budget 1u rack mount NAS. 4 bay.

A thread should exist on the forum specifically for Hot Takes.... then it also make goods videos.

explain AMD's product naming scheme(s?) like I'm 5 

You guys do a lot of videos on odd controller and keyboard types. You know things that are intended to be for people with differences. However you’ve never really had anyone on that was differently abled. I’m a left hand amputee, I play some console games and pc games. I’m also a software engineer, a long time pc builder, photographer, and much more. All of which I do with out my left hand. I’d actually like to propose that I come on to be interviewed and discuss what I personally do to game on the different platforms, things and trends in gaming that seem steps in the right or wrong direction, and so on. Perhaps you guys would be interested in such a video?

Make the most powerful PC with parts off AliExpress

Always wondered about rack mounting a consumer water cooling radiator or having a completely separate, self-built water cooling system in a rack. Just because the airflow could be fantastic and you take much of the risk out of the case housing all of the main components. The enterprise grade ones are very expensive and for a home lab could be a great addition.

480mm radiators are essentially the same size as a 19" rack. You could probably do some really cool stuff with a self-build external water cooling system that lives in a completely separate case in a rack taking up say 3 or 4 U's and can handle cooling for a main system and a storage server. Takes much of the risk out of the main systems and places it into its own case. You'd have much less size restriction so could in theory have a really good pump and decent sized reservoir.

how bout a video  that's  a build a PC where every part  for it costs 100 dollars each, 100 dollars U.S.

The Case costs 100 dollars

the CPU costs 100 dollars 

a 100 dollar motherboard

100 dollars of ram and so on

if LTT already has a video using that idea I didn't see it

Hi, I have seen DIY videos on crazy projects where Linus uses a car radiator and or big industrial radiators for cooling and have wondered why he didn't use any air hoses in builds with quick connects. I use them in my job for cooling big bearings that go over 150 degrees in temperature. They leak really rarely and are easy to replace.

Screenshot_20230516_200541_Amazon Shopping.jpg

1 hour ago, Diablo365 said:

Hi, I have seen DIY videos on crazy projects where Linus uses a car radiator and or big industrial radiators for cooling and have wondered why he didn't use any air hoses in builds with quick connects. I use them in my job for cooling big bearings that go over 150 degrees in temperature. They leak really rarely and are easy to replace.

Diameter would be a bit small for the flow needed to remove that much heat unless you got to the biggest diameters, then the hose becomes really rigid because that's needed for the fittings to still stay tight. Your bearing may get hot but the actual power to remove would be a fraction of what a PC component puts out. Should still be possible though, you "just" have to work it like hardline tubing.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I recently factory ordered a new vehicle with a wireless charger added on. I'm now learning that wireless Android Auto isn't available without a 3rd party accessory. Would love to see a video around the various wireless Android Auto products available. Didn't expect this to be an issue needing resolution in 2023

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but last time I suggested a product from this company it became a video, the $100 hdmi cable with a processing chip in it.  Anyways here is a "Video card for your console"

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission