Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

You guys are in Canada where weed is legal right? What if you had a buildoff between Linus and His Wife where he is baked off his ass and she had like 4 shots

2 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

@Streetguru i missed you man o/ havent seen ya on the L1T forums in at least a year or two whats up

The same as ever, my twitter is in my sub

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Okay I know you have sort of had this in mind in the past.. with cooling cpus etc and I don't want to see Linus become broke with this one.. but .. at this point ( in the shared below).. in the video from the Royal Institute of London ( so you know its ultra legit)  says that diamonds are the most conductive more than anything on the planet. The man holds a disc of diamond that well would be suited to sitting on a cpu... Thoughts...... :) 

On 1/10/2020 at 12:44 AM, RadiatingLight said:

I think it's not a step forward at all.

Laptop CPU in a desktop form-factor? No thanks.

The only thing that's really upgradeable for the average user is the GPU, which isn't too hard in a system from someone like origin/cyberpower/etc. anyway.

CPU upgrade is going to be super expensive since you have to replace the whole platform

RAM upgrade is going to be a nightmare, needing to pry into that weirdo system-on-a-PCI-e-card

No room for stuff like extra storage, 3.5inch hdd, etc.

A proper mini-itx case is better in almost every way IMO.

I get what you’re saying – but I don’t think this would ever truly replace a real gaming rig. However for the Noob enthusiast - Or just someone looking to add a small PC to their living room TV - this is going to be a hot option. And it should still be able to run circles around lesser gaming consoles.

I expect they will light this thing up before they’re done with some RGB options and it will certainly look good hanging out in the living room. IF I had to pick between this and a NUC the choice would be obvious.

And with the tech involved in these new little boards (with the laptop processor)   before long this will be an upgrade you can put in your car for gaming on road trips LOL

On 1/9/2020 at 11:41 PM, Uptivuptiz said:

They already covered it, but a review would be awesome as well :) 

Thanks for sharing this video!

Thank you, all the writers, editors and remaining staff of LTT. 

Newcomer to the channel, but you have quickly become a regular part of my media feed.

I love my DLP projectors' crisp blacks and clear visuals, especially for gaming, but the fan is so loud. Has anyone attempted to water cool a projector?

Seems like they have a group of IC's that would require cooling, but trading that for a water block is easy. The challenge would be keeping the bulb cool through water cooling means. Is all the air cooling to keep the socket from melting out? or would the bulb shatter?

BTW, I really enjoyed the water cooling a switch episode.

The bulb itself needs cooling.

Would be easy to watercool a LED/laser based one but one with an actual bulb probably not.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

How about a non-trivial discussion of what you actually use Pulseway for?

In what way is it superior to RDP (or Teamviewer/Logmein)?

All I can tell from Pulseway's web site is that it costs more than other remote management tools. Why?

Reviewing how price and performance of CPU from 10+ years ago scale to modern OS and basic home applications like web surfing and Office. 

What Up!

Just wanted to ask @LinusTech why dont you have a custom mods videos?

I really think it would be great for your channel on youtube.

Hello,

I see that you have never discussed DisplayPort "Multi-Stream transport" capabilities. I would be interested to know, does it add any input lag(if any) compared to "Single-Stream Transport" and how big is delay between those two displays(if any) (could test with rapid changing colors on both screens at the same time)

For added benefit, you could rant on Apple not supporting MST despite running strong with DisplayPort(it is software thing, as if you use Bootcamp, it works perfeclty)

Hi! 

Did you guys already used Unraid to build something like this? Just one system running 1 Mac and 3 Windows. This guy built a complete office for his team with a Threadripper 3960X and 64gb of RAM! 1 Windows for his accountant, 1 Windows for his Video Editor, 1 Windows for him to play games, 1 Mac for his programmer. You can watch It with automated subtitles. 

Hi,

is there any statistical valid information about the active core distribution among the chiplets of the AMD Ryzen/Threadripper 3xxx generation?

I would find intresting to know how the distribution affects:

- heat production and throttelling

- performance and overclocking

- trouble with some OSs like windows 7 (I read in a german forum, that win 7 sometimes recognises only 1 chiplet and I am wondering whether this might even be possible at all, when the cpu presents itself to the OS as one unit, or does it?)

I really enjoyed the editing video with iJustine and Taran. I would like to see some more editing videos from the LTT editors. Basic editing tips, editing software reviews, etc. I also really liked the video with Brandon against Linus with the Photography. Maybe some camera reviews and photo editing software reviews with Brandon. Show the people behind the scenes and how they do what they do. Like the camera guys. What cameras do they reccomend for vlogging, streaming, etc. What goes into writing a script for a video. I appreciate all of you talented people that we don't see as much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

There are a couple of good videos about the errors we make when building PCs. However, I would like to see a build video involving several staff members in which someone starts the build but makes one or more mistakes. Someone else jumps in to correct their mistake, takes over the next step of the build but makes a couple of errors of their own. The next person jumps in to correct them and takes over and so on until lots of common build errors have been demonstrated but the PC gets built in the end.  Then we get to see if it POSTs.

A Zero to Hero PC where you specifically design a gaming PC with an obvious upgrade path. Starting off as a cheap build with an AMD APU like the 2400G and a single stick of RAM. And then explain what you would spend each paycheck on to make it into a great build. Would be a good way to teach the highest yield components etc. 

And very practical advice for someone who is new to PC gaming. 

On 1/11/2020 at 9:37 PM, beehphy said:

Thank you, all the writers, editors and remaining staff of LTT. 

Newcomer to the channel, but you have quickly become a regular part of my media feed.

I love my DLP projectors' crisp blacks and clear visuals, especially for gaming, but the fan is so loud. Has anyone attempted to water cool a projector?

Seems like they have a group of IC's that would require cooling, but trading that for a water block is easy. The challenge would be keeping the bulb cool through water cooling means. Is all the air cooling to keep the socket from melting out? or would the bulb shatter?

BTW, I really enjoyed the water cooling a switch episode.

Haven't water cooled a projector, although for the lounge we swapped the projector fan with a Noctua.  Simple drop in replacement and now it is basically silent.

Here's a weird video:

Poor Man's version of Linus' new NVME NAS box… 

Asus B250 MINING EXPERT Motherboard has 19 PCIe slots!

Use 18 of them to mount 18 x 4TB Sabrent sticks using PCIe to M.2 adapters

Use the last PCIe slot for a 100Gb ethernet adapter and you'd have one strange NAS box.

18 X PCIe 1x lane is 250MB/sec = 4500MB/sec so would be interesting to see if it got anywhere near a CPU that had the PCIe lanes in the first place.

This would soon get interesting/serious if you could find a mobo that had numerous Gen3x4 slots (and appropriate adapters) so not to throttle the NVME I/O...

mmm… 

Note that all the x1 slots on this mobo are provided by the chipset, so the CPU-chipset link will be the bottleneck.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, stupidysquared said:

Here's a weird video:

Poor Man's version of Linus' new NVME NAS box… 

Asus B250 MINING EXPERT Motherboard has 19 PCIe slots!

Use 18 of them to mount 18 x 4TB Sabrent sticks using PCIe to M.2 adapters

Use the last PCIe slot for a 100Gb ethernet adapter and you'd have one strange NAS box.

18 X PCIe 1x lane is 250MB/sec = 4500MB/sec so would be interesting to see if it got anywhere near a CPU that had the PCIe lanes in the first place.

This would soon get interesting/serious if you could find a mobo that had numerous Gen3x4 slots (and appropriate adapters) so not to throttle the NVME I/O...

mmm… 

found the PCIe x 4lane adapters… 

https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_89561/merkmale.html

Pity such a motherboard doesn't exist...

All moot anyway now that bifurcation is now trickling down to consumer boards.

You'll get less than 250 MB/s, due to overhead and stuff.

Not sure how well those ssd controllers will work at pci-e x1.

Why would you use a 100gbps (12 GB/s) card, when you're dealing with at most 3-4 GB/s ... a dual 10g ethernet card will be enough, and you'll only get

All those slots go to chipset which connects to cpu using a 4 GB/s link... you won't get more than 4 GB/s

Can you do a video about the recent Patch Critical Cryptographic Vulnerability in Microsoft Windows Clients and Servers (CVE-2020-0601).
Apparently this was disclosed recently by the NSA.
If this is just more of that garbage media feel free to delete my post.

Sources
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/microsoft-patches-windows-10-server-authentipocalypse-bug-536487
https://www.wired.com/story/nsa-windows-10-vulnerability-disclosure/
https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jan/14/2002234275/-1/-1/0/CSA-WINDOWS-10-CRYPT-LIB-20190114.PDF
Many more out there than just these but I CBF listing them all here.