COD Mobile on iPhone will degrade battery lifespan?

FRD

I'm planning to play COD Mobile on my iPhone 7.

Before I used a iPhone 8, but I had to reside back to my iPhone 7, mainly because of having more memory.

After playing COD Mobile on the iPhone 8 before I noticed that the phone gets warm (not hot) and it even starts blowing the hot air out. Basically it's pulling 100% of the performance. Also I noticed the battery would be done in 2 hours of playing when not charging.

Now I want to play the same game on my iPhone 7, but it only has 75% battery lifespan (total battery performance indicator). The iPhone 8 before had a 100% new battery, but it's a work phone only.

I'm just a bit afraid. Should I play COD Mobile on it or will the battery degrade even more/faster? Or should I play while being plugged in? Or not play at all to save the battery's life?
Since it's my main phone right now I don't want the battery to die just like on my old iPhone 6 Plus.

4 minutes ago, FRD said:

Before I used a iPhone 8, but I had to reside back to my iPhone 7, mainly because of having more memory.

After playing COD Mobile on the iPhone 8 before I noticed that the phone gets warm (not hot) and it even starts blowing the hot air out. Basically it's pulling 100% of the performance. Also I noticed the battery would be done in 2 hours of playing when not charging.

Now I want to play the same game on my iPhone 7, but it only has 75% battery lifespan (total battery performance indicator). The iPhone 8 before had a 100% new battery, but it's a work phone only.

I'm just a bit afraid. Should I play COD Mobile on it or will the battery degrade even more/faster? Or should I play while being plugged in? Or not play at all to save the battery's life?
Since it's my main phone right now I don't want the battery to die just like on my old iPhone 6 Plus.

A load can not degrade a battery faster. 

You will experience battery degradation due to the higher amount of charging cycles you will make the phone go through.

Also how does a phone "blow[] the hot air out" ? 😄

Regarding the playing while charging

I am not sure if an iPhone has a direct pass-through mode where you basically don't use the battery for powering at all, if it does that could help, but you would recharge your phone to 100% until it happens every time so the battery would degrade due to that faster. 

In general how much of an issue is this, how much do you play ? If it is a huge amount I would advise on keeping the old phone for that and having it plugged in 100% of the time so it does not matter if the battery is toast 😄

Well, yeah. I mean any time you're draining the battery you're reducing its lifetime. They're only good for a certain number of charges, and that's usually based on a presumed lifetime of normal usage for 2-3 years. Though, it's not like they just die. They just start to hold less charge, drain quicker, etc. The more you drain and recharge, the quicker this obviously happens. However, it's also what it's for. You could just never use your phone and keep it topped up to like 80% and it would last virtually forever, but then it's just an expensive paperweight.

Just as a smart consumer in general, you should always have a backup plan for an essential device like a phone. Anything could happen, and you need to be able to replace it or fix it if there's an issue. Just make sure you have a backup phone, savings to purchase a new one, etc. and then just use it how you like. It's just not worth worrying about things like this. Enjoy the things you spend money on.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Using a battery, degrades a battery. That's just the reality of a battery; it degrades with each cycle it has.

Heat is also not great for a battery, which I can imagine your phone getting a bit warmer when playing a 3D game.

Having said that, a phone is still a device you should use, so I am not sure if degrading a battery faster should be the whole reason to stop playing it, as maybe that degrading is not something you'd notice.

On the other hand, if you can do something else and get equal enjoyment out of it, but it's something that doesn't degrade the battery that would be a suitable alternative too. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

12 minutes ago, Ulysses499 said:

A load can not degrade a battery faster. 

You will experience battery degradation due to the higher amount of charging cycles you will make the phone go through.

Also how does a phone "blow[] the hot air out" ? 😄

Regarding the playing while charging

I am not sure if an iPhone has a direct pass-through mode where you basically don't use the battery for powering at all, if it does that could help, but you would recharge your phone to 100% until it happens every time so the battery would degrade due to that faster. 

In general how much of an issue is this, how much do you play ? If it is a huge amount I would advise on keeping the old phone for that and having it plugged in 100% of the time so it does not matter if the battery is toast 😄

Reacting to your quote of mine. I was playing in a quiet room and I noticed an unusual sound. I noticed it was the phone actually blowing, even though it doesn't have a physical fan. It's like a high pitched soft sound. Put my ear against the phone, turned the sound off and yes it was the phone blowing just like a PC or laptop.

1 minute ago, FRD said:

Reacting to your quote of mine. I was playing in a quiet room and I noticed an unusual sound. I noticed it was the phone actually blowing, even though it doesn't have a physical fan. It's like a high pitched soft sound. Put my ear against the phone, turned the sound off and yes it was the phone blowing just like a PC or laptop.

That is not blowing that is most likely coil whine 😉

6 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Well, yeah. I mean any time you're draining the battery you're reducing its lifetime. They're only good for a certain number of charges, and that's usually based on a presumed lifetime of normal usage for 2-3 years. Though, it's not like they just die. They just start to hold less charge, drain quicker, etc. The more you drain and recharge, the quicker this obviously happens. However, it's also what it's for. You could just never use your phone and keep it topped up to like 80% and it would last virtually forever, but then it's just an expensive paperweight.

Just as a smart consumer in general, you should always have a backup plan for an essential device like a phone. Anything could happen, and you need to be able to replace it or fix it if there's an issue. Just make sure you have a backup phone, savings to purchase a new one, etc. and then just use it how you like. It's just not worth worrying about things like this. Enjoy the things you spend money on.

I'm informed about the battery reducing its lifespan just by charging. I personally try not to fully charge all the way to 100% and use the phone until the battery dies, instead I stop charging at like 90-95% usually.

Anyway, what I wondered about is if draining the battery from this game is really bad for the battery. Imagine the phone battery normally holds up a full charge for at least a day of normal use. But when I play the game it's like 1-2 hours max if not charged again.

That backup plan is a good advice. I always backup my phone and especially pictures, but I've had unexpected things happening to me. One day your phone might not start anymore. I just did a phone recovery only last year as well to get all my data back.

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Using a battery, degrades a battery. That's just the reality of a battery; it degrades with each cycle it has.

Heat is also not great for a battery, which I can imagine your phone getting a bit warmer when playing a 3D game.

Having said that, a phone is still a device you should use, so I am not sure if degrading a battery faster should be the whole reason to stop playing it, as maybe that degrading is not something you'd notice.

On the other hand, if you can do something else and get equal enjoyment out of it, but it's something that doesn't degrade the battery that would be a suitable alternative too. 

The heat is one thing that bothers me. Gladly iPhones don't get hot like some Android phones, but it still isn't good, but yeah it is its intended use in the end.

I do like to play COD Mobile casually, but if I'm home I can also reside to the actual console version. It's nice to have on the way if I don't play too long and keep checking the battery level.

3 minutes ago, Ulysses499 said:

That is not blowing that is most likely coil whine 😉

Is that even possible on smartphones? I didn't know that. It sounds like a hissing sound, but the phone is pretty hot while playing the game.

Just now, FRD said:

Is that even possible on smartphones? I didn't know that. It sounds like a hissing sound, but the phone is pretty hot while playing the game.

Yes it can see Wikipedia link on coil whine .

If I remember correctly the 7 series had a bigger issue with coil whine, back then Apple replaced your phone if there was an issue with that.

The phone can (and should) get warm because the power usage does up and you do not have an active cooling solution. Anything else would mean you do not have the full chip power available. 

15 minutes ago, Ulysses499 said:

Yes it can see Wikipedia link on coil whine .

If I remember correctly the 7 series had a bigger issue with coil whine, back then Apple replaced your phone if there was an issue with that.

The phone can (and should) get warm because the power usage does up and you do not have an active cooling solution. Anything else would mean you do not have the full chip power available. 

Thanks, that could be it. I never really got more into the definition of coil whine. I think this explains the hissing sound, because it can't have a fan inside.

The only thing is, I heard that coil whine before on my almost brand new iPhone 8. I didn't try the game yet on my older iPhone 7.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 9:26 PM, FRD said:

Common misconception of "heavy apps kill your battery faster"

Your li-ion battery pack is constantly reacting chemically to actively feed power to your phone, therefore it is always degrading.

After five years of use, my iPhone 7 Plus packed with a 2900mAh li-ion has a "battery health" of 75%. I've been playing codm since it's release and although it's a heavier use of power, the difference of TDP is only within 10W, which barely even "degrades" your battery.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

5 hours ago, thekingofmonks said:

Common misconception of "heavy apps kill your battery faster"

Your li-ion battery pack is constantly reacting chemically to actively feed power to your phone, therefore it is always degrading.

After five years of use, my iPhone 7 Plus packed with a 2900mAh li-ion has a "battery health" of 75%. I've been playing codm since it's release and although it's a heavier use of power, the difference of TDP is only within 10W, which barely even "degrades" your battery.

I'm glad that it's a misconception. I just thought more or maximum power output will also help degrade the battery, but it's just normal use after all. Also the coil whine is not really to worry about. The thing I'm just afraid of is that my battery would become so bad it gets unusable/dies too fast.

75% for a iPhone 7 Plus is still fine, but on a much smaller iPhone 7 battery it really is a big difference next to the 100%. Before this I had a iPhone 6 Plus and it could run me even 2 days with not too intensive use. Now this iPhone 7 at 75% battery runs me less than a day and I don't even play games normally.

Good to know though that CODM is within 10W TDP difference.

I just kind of miss playing games on the bigger iPhone Plus' screen, it's finnicky using a normal sized iPhone. I might get a new iPhone later on, as playing it on my 5.5" Android it's only running on low settings, no thanks lol.