Oneplus just revealed the Oneplus 9 (Pro) and the Oneplus Watch

Maatstaaf

Summary

Oneplus just announced it's new line of smartphones and the Oneplus Watch.

They mainly focused on the new Hasselblad Camera being one of the new key features of this phone.

Launch prices:

image.png.40cddc9b52e254e44a64685adda165c2.png

image.png.55487fd584def868bc27696514a20b3c.png

My thoughts

As someone who bought the Oneplus 6 because it felt like so much 'bang for buck' at the time, this presentation was somewhat of a downer. I don't really need an expensive camera in a phone - I already own a Fujifilm XT3.

However, I still am tempted to make the upgrade to this phone, as I'm already one year over my original phone plan at this point.

It probably won't replace my camera, but I'm willing to pay the extra costs for it, it looks like an interesting one for sure. I must mention I would rather not have paid the extra cost though and would have settled for a 'decent' camera instead. Then again, their motto is Never Settle...

I'm interested in whether Linus will make a video on this phone. I would really like to see his thoughts on this machine. I would also like to know if you guys know what this year's 'Oneplus 6' is. (With that I mean a fast phone with a good build quality, screen and battery life but none of the expensive bells and whistles)

Sources

https://www.oneplus.com/9-pro

Launch event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-51Kc42hoQ

You know the saying: The best camera is the one you have with you. Most people don't carry around a camera, so this improvement is going to draw a lot of interest from people that might otherwise be looking at something else. It'll be interesting to see what reviewers say about it.

A little disappointing to see OnePlus charging $150 more (after conversion) in Canada.

I wonder how the screen will actually affect battery consumption in real use cases.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

"the best bang for the buck" market are very small compared to "expensive phones are good phones" market.

Hasselblad on a $500 phone kinda odd to pair.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

"the best bang for the buck" market are very small compared to "expensive phones are good phones" market.

Hasselblad on a $500 phone kinda odd to pair.

that's why I said i'd be fine with a $500 phone that takes pictures that are good enough for day to day memories, but not good enough for 'proffesional work' (as if moviemakers/photographers prefer using smartphones over cameras anyway). It's definitely good to have a good camera in your pocket at all times, for when you dont have your original camera with you, but it wont be a replacement.

Looking at these prices just makes me want to vomit.. OnePlus started as the new "flagship killer" offering cheap phone prices.. Now they're charging over $1K for a phone.. I bought my OnePlus 5 for £400... and the first phone, the OnePlus as at £250...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

meh, overpriced

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The base 9 Pro doesn't look that insane. I'd actually consider that at 899€. It's just slightly more I paid for iPhone. And that is kinda the limit I'd go with price wise.

What would annoy me more is MKBHD's finding of camera having weird photo snap delay. You snap and it actually captures image with a delay, such big delay you may already move camera thinking it has already snapped it while it actually hasn't. That needs to be solved asap.

2 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

Looking at these prices just makes me want to vomit.. OnePlus started as the new "flagship killer" offering cheap phone prices.. Now they're charging over $1K for a phone.. I bought my OnePlus 5 for £400... and the first phone, the OnePlus as at £250...

Mind you, it got away with that due to lower expectations for phones, a complete lack of retail presence, no carrier deals and a mostly familiar body. They're still pretty aggressive prices, but OnePlus is arguably bound to the same commercial realities as anyone else.

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

meh, overpriced

3 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

So I'm currently in the market to upgrade my phone. What phone would you recommend right now if this one is overpriced? 

Battery life and performance on my current Oneplus 6 is still fine as is, but my plan is already one year over due, so I've chosen to retire it as a backup phone. 

11 minutes ago, Maatstaaf said:

So I'm currently in the market to upgrade my phone. What phone would you recommend right now if this one is overpriced? 

Battery life and performance on my current Oneplus 6 is still fine as is, but my plan is already one year over due, so I've chosen to retire it as a backup phone. 

I'd say the base OnePlus 9 would be a good pick. Unless you really crave the telephoto lens or the 1440p screen, you're getting the clear majority of the 9 Pro's experience for hundreds less.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'd say the base OnePlus 9 would be a good pick. Unless you really crave the telephoto lens or the 1440p screen, you're getting the clear majority of the 9 Pro's experience for hundreds less.

This is probably the model I'll end up choosing.

Waiting for websites to update the specs so I can compare the 8/8 Pro/9/9 Pro

Still really keen to find out if LTT wil cover this model. They covered most of the other Oneplus ones, so it's reasonable to assume they'll do one right?

As a current 6T owner, I'm very hard-pressed to upgrade to another Oneplus phone.

I loved my phone for the first year after I got it, then over time the fingerprint reader has gotten worse and worse (it's now unusable) and I have a rather annoying bug where if I'm in an area with no reception then move to somewhere with better reception, the LTE data does not work unless I turn on airplane mode then turn it back off. It's rather annoying to have to do this every lunch hour, since my desk at work is in an area of the building where reception is basically non-existent. I have to go to the break room to get anything, or the cafeteria for decent LTE speeds.

That combined with the horrible fingerprint reader and Face unlock being useless because of masking up (masks mandatory at work), I've resorted to just using a pin code to unlock my phone and use Google Pay at stores.

Sorry OnePlus, going to be jumping ship... probably to Samsung or back to Apple.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)

Hmm...

6A0EB831-8BC6-4C9F-8340-F3317354676A.thumb.png.1ed11d78b0d894964777625a5d238a5d.png1B22FB19-7CF8-472A-B75E-292C7DD5AD1E.thumb.png.e3c1788c46278b0bac52278ae69aa21a.png

I mean there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s just an observable similarity with their promotional materials. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Hmm...

<snip>

I mean there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s just an observable similarity with their promotional materials. 

I rather like that style of presentation, so I can't really blame them for copying it. But that's just me.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

8 hours ago, Alcarin said:

As a current 6T owner, I'm very hard-pressed to upgrade to another Oneplus phone.

I loved my phone for the first year after I got it, then over time the fingerprint reader has gotten worse and worse (it's now unusable) and I have a rather annoying bug where if I'm in an area with no reception then move to somewhere with better reception, the LTE data does not work unless I turn on airplane mode then turn it back off. It's rather annoying to have to do this every lunch hour, since my desk at work is in an area of the building where reception is basically non-existent. I have to go to the break room to get anything, or the cafeteria for decent LTE speeds.

That combined with the horrible fingerprint reader and Face unlock being useless because of masking up (masks mandatory at work), I've resorted to just using a pin code to unlock my phone and use Google Pay at stores.

Sorry OnePlus, going to be jumping ship... probably to Samsung or back to Apple.

Huh. Odd to hear your 6T became quite obsolescent when I'm pretty sure my 6 was the most durable android phone I've owned.

A lot of that probably has to do with quick charging - I almost never go below 10-90% battery life.

I mean, I could literally be good for the next 2 years on this phone. I just need a new phone plan and want to retire this phone while it's still operating fine so that if something ever happens to my new one I have a good backup one.

I am not that impressed.

Comparing the S21 vs the OP 9 the Galaxy S21 is slightly more expensive (about 60 dollars more as of writing) but has a telephoto camera, better software support and from the looks of it, possibly slightly better cameras and slightly better fingerprint reader.

It's not a bad phone but it's not exactly the "wow it's such great value!" feeling you used to get with OP phones a couple of years ago.

3 hours ago, Maatstaaf said:

Huh. Odd to hear your 6T became quite obsolescent when I'm pretty sure my 6 was the most durable android phone I've owned.

A lot of that probably has to do with quick charging - I almost never go below 10-90% battery life.

I mean, I could literally be good for the next 2 years on this phone. I just need a new phone plan and want to retire this phone while it's still operating fine so that if something ever happens to my new one I have a good backup one.

The battery isn't the issue for me. In fact mine still gets good battery capacity. It's just the other issues I mentioned in my post that have given me a bad taste.

Great specs no doubt, still ugly notch. Phones so pricey, not sure if I should get a new phone or a used car.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Ugly hole punch and  ugly camera bump, gonna stick with my 7 pro for a couple more years i suppose.

And HydrogenOS got shafted for ColorOS

What does this spell for the future of OxygenOS in the long term?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

9 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Great specs no doubt, still ugly notch. Phones so pricey, not sure if I should get a new phone or a used car.

8 hours ago, mousesnob said:

Ugly hole punch and  ugly camera bump, gonna stick with my 7 pro for a couple more years i suppose.

People are still hating on pinhole cameras lol?

1 hour ago, Maatstaaf said:

People are still hating on pinhole cameras lol?

Still? You like it? It's a joke that should've never existed. I'm not paying insane price for a phone to keep for years to have a hole in display and content I watch.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

well at least the 9 is made of plastic, too bad it's not removable 😒

9 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Still? You like it? It's a joke that should've never existed. I'm not paying insane price for a phone to keep for years to have a hole in display and content I watch.

Such an overreaction though.

Pretty much all pinhole camera's are placed in the very top of the screen. In old phones, that space wasn't even used for screen estate. 

So you're basically complaining that instead of getting a 10% larger screen you get a 10% larger screen with a tiny hole in it. 

You can also just be happy with the extra screen space..? 

And besides, what do you want then, a camera that is under-display? Don't really see that happening anytime soon. Or one of those shitty ass pop outs that will break after using it a few times? 

Seriously if you're that bothered by a headphone-jack-sized pinhole I just feel sorry for you.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:01 PM, Commodus said:

Mind you, it got away with that due to lower expectations for phones, a complete lack of retail presence, no carrier deals and a mostly familiar body. They're still pretty aggressive prices, but OnePlus is arguably bound to the same commercial realities as anyone else.

That was their original idea to be cheap...

On 3/23/2021 at 9:55 PM, Maatstaaf said:

Sorry mate, I can't recommend any phones I never had that much of an interest in them. But you can watch some reviews by mkbhd

OnePlus 9 Review.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.