Is there an app for CPU fan curve?

Bimyself
Go to solution Solved by Bimyself,
On 3/29/2021 at 11:58 AM, narrdarr said:

if your room temp is higher that would make since too.

it would appear that my case fan and cpu fan were in each others headers, my cpu fan is now spinning at it's intended speed

I agree with @-rascal-completely, but after reviewing your( @Bimyself) post showing the thermal paste spread. the paste seems kinda thick. normal having too much isn't an issue as the pressure from tightening down the cool will squeeze out excess, but it looks like a lot of it is stay there. Try just a bit less and make sure the screws are tightened all the way. over tightening shouldn't be a problem as the screw will bottom before you can damage anything. alternatively you can add plastic washer between the motherboard and the back plate. this will allow for you to get a few extra turns. maxing out your turn count this wont be necessary. just go till its firm.

17 hours ago, -rascal- said:

That points EXACTLY to the weak CPU cooler as the problem.

Removing the side panel essentially eliminates airflow as the problem.

Side panel removed, and CPU temperature remains the same.

Plus, if case airflow is a problem, your GPU would be affected too, yet it's sitting at 56*C in your previous screenshot.

Again, not case airflow issue.

The stock cooler Acer used is inadequate, and Acer is NOT the only one who does this...

im not surprised that its a cooler problem, im just surprised that it worked well for quite a while

1 hour ago, Bimyself said:

im not surprised that its a cooler problem, im just surprised that it worked well for quite a while

these things happen, or just goes unnoticed, or ambient temp (room temp) are now higher.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:16 PM, tkitch said:

This is a 92mm fan on a tower, to fit into more cramped cases than a lot of 120mm coolers can:

https://smile.amazon.com/Quiet-BK008-Pure-Rock-Slim/dp/B01KVNCEIG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=92mm+cpu+cooler&qid=1616523299&sr=8-5

there are others out there as well.  It would outdo your current cooler pretty handily.

outdoing my current cooler is no hard task 🙄

On 3/23/2021 at 1:57 AM, narrdarr said:

I agree with @-rascal-completely, but after reviewing your( @Bimyself) post showing the thermal paste spread. the paste seems kinda thick. normal having too much isn't an issue as the pressure from tightening down the cool will squeeze out excess, but it looks like a lot of it is stay there. Try just a bit less and make sure the screws are tightened all the way. over tightening shouldn't be a problem as the screw will bottom before you can damage anything. alternatively you can add plastic washer between the motherboard and the back plate. this will allow for you to get a few extra turns. maxing out your turn count this wont be necessary. just go till its firm.

ive been told by other sources to get new thermal paste, since i removed my cooler

1 minute ago, Bimyself said:

ive been told by other sources to get new thermal paste, since i removed my cooler

not always necessary, but if you dont know when you dont have to change it. just replace it. in this case its probably best anyways.

there's lots of options, but something like mx 4 is fine.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:49 PM, narrdarr said:

not always necessary, but if you dont know when you dont have to change it. just replace it. in this case its probably best anyways.

there's lots of options, but something like mx 4 is fine.

i just put new thermal paste, fixed the problem

3 hours ago, Bimyself said:

i just put new thermal paste, fixed the problem

well uhh, made it better, didnt fix it

well uhh, made it better, didnt fix it

that type of cooler can only handle so much. the most you can do is new paste and make sure mounting pressure is good.

18 hours ago, narrdarr said:

that type of cooler can only handle so much. the most you can do is new paste and make sure mounting pressure is good.

both have been done, i still have no clue why my temps shot up

14 hours ago, Bimyself said:

both have been done, i still have no clue why my temps shot up

it happened after a decent psu was installed I'm assuming ? 

18 hours ago, narrdarr said:

it happened after a decent psu was installed I'm assuming ? 

a bit after

23 hours ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

How do you think useless Acer bios.

i cant do anything in that stupid bios, no xmp, no cpu fan curves, nothing

6 minutes ago, Bimyself said:

a bit after

yea I'm not surprised. when there is more cleaner power available the CPU will try to take advantage of it.  

7 minutes ago, Bimyself said:

i cant do anything in that stupid bios, no xmp, no cpu fan curves, nothing

yup. all the OEM bios are the same. you could fancontrol which there is a thread for it on the forum in the cooling section. 

but it's not going to do much for you as the cooler itself can only do so much and hp doesnt care as temps are in spec. best you could is changes to a better cooler. either of the ones we discussed earlier if you want a proper mount or zip tie a beefier one.

oh yea.

you dont have to use zip ties. you can make you own cross bracket with a thin piece of sheet metal. just need some washers too. 

9 hours ago, narrdarr said:

yea I'm not surprised. when there is more cleaner power available the CPU will try to take advantage of it.  

yup. all the OEM bios are the same. you could fancontrol which there is a thread for it on the forum in the cooling section. 

but it's not going to do much for you as the cooler itself can only do so much and hp doesnt care as temps are in spec. best you could is changes to a better cooler. either of the ones we discussed earlier if you want a proper mount or zip tie a beefier one.

ive been getting worse performance from this higher heat, so i dont think the power supply is what is causing it

ive been getting worse performance from this higher heat, so i dont think the power supply is what is causing it

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

i doubt thats the issue, since it only like 2 degrees warmer. Oh well, ill come back here if throttling becomes an issue

On 3/29/2021 at 11:58 AM, narrdarr said:

it would appear that my case fan and cpu fan were in each others headers, my cpu fan is now spinning at it's intended speed

4 minutes ago, Bimyself said:

this is entirely user error btw