Microsoft Releases Source Code Of MS-DOS And Word For Windows

JantsoP

Keep your shirt on, people, it’s just the earliest versions! But a good gesture is a good gesture, and this is something that technology enthusiasts and nostalgic programmers will appreciate.

So for you retro guys out there, have fun :)

Source: http://www.eyeonwindows.com/2014/03/25/microsoft-releases-source-code-of-ms-dos-and-word-for-windows/

Pretty cool. I want to buy an ancient computer someday with DOS and play Doom all day.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I have that left box with evertyhing in it lying around somewhere. 

msdos_word_source_code.jpg

Actually it might not be exactly the same, very similar tho.

plot twist

releases windows 8 source code

plot twist

dominates linux's market share

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

plot twist

plot twist

When we ca finally add a proper start button and menu

I'll look in to that! :)

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

plot twist

activates a y2k bug and breaks every PC

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Pretty cool. I want to buy an ancient computer someday with DOS and play Doom all day.

doom is open source now along with hexen and heretic, you can get bundles on torrent, then you can download the highres texture packs and the doomsday engine (google it) to run them all. 

It already has one.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

plot twist

plot twist

thought you qouted yourself qwerty, you both have similar icons xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

thought you qouted yourself qwerty, you both have similar icons xD

plot twist ......

plot twist ......

S1e14that_plot_twist.png

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

doom is open source now along with hexen and heretic, you can get bundles on torrent, then you can download the highres texture packs and the doomsday engine (google it) to run them all. 

It already has one.

my bad... still on windows 7. I heard that the windows 8.1 start button just takes you back to metro UI

my bad... still on windows 7. I heard that the windows 8.1 start button just takes you back to metro UI

some of the earlier start button solutions even the original one from windows did that, but I was setting up a brand new machine the other day and didn't even realise it was win 8 until I moused into the corner and the menu popped out.  I was using the start button, it was setup to work exactly like win7.  If I get back to that school today I will ask the guy who setup the image if he tweaked it or if that was standard.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The best part of the source:

badfart proc    far             ;(what a hack!!)        retbadfart endp

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4 GHz - H100i # Asus Sabertooth Z77 # Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3 @ 1202Mhz

Samsung 830 128GB SSD # 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz

CPU-Z Validation

Awesome, I love me some DOS. I wonder what kind of hacks/mods and stuff will come from this.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

plot twist

Damn son, that 1.48%

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I hope this gets turned into a book: "How not to write software".

Software development has come so far since then.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Damn son, that 1.48%

No. Linux and other Unix-like OSes are the dominant operating systems. You just don't see them because they're running servers and mainframes and other infrastructure.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Hopefully this means even more source code from Microsoft. Like give us vista at least, not a single person liked it anyway.

Look up classicshell(dot)net. What I use and works great for a start button etc. Once Mantle is on LInux then I am sure it will be ported to FreeBSD( heart ). Then I believe gaming will change. Or we can wait for Titan Z vaporware. No idiot realized Nvidia said it was 2000 watts. 2200/2300 watts is max wattage of a US outlet. that is a 20 amp breaker ..most are 15amp which means 1725 watts, with no losses ...Maybe Nvidia broke broke ohms law ( rolls eyes) .....Maybe it is just April fools ? $3000.00, 2000 watts, mid to late 2016....sounds legit :) 

Cool, we can finally add a network stack to MS-DOS!

I know most won't see the forest for the trees but this is a benefit.

Wait, that's MS-DOS v1.1 :( what about v7?

Edited by IdeaStormer

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.