Microsoft Releases Source Code Of MS-DOS And Word For Windows

JantsoP

Not really a big deal since the source code for dos 6.0 was leaked a few years ago.

plot twist

releases windows 8 source code

Windows 8 too shitty no one will care.

Intel Core i5 3570K@4.5GHz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 2*TEAM 8GB DDR3-1600@CL9-9-9-27 | Inno3D GTX 660 HerculeZ 2000s@1200MHz Core 6600MHz Memory | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Antec Kühler H2O 620 | Antec HCG-620 | CoolerMaster Elite 371

Acer Iconia W700: Intel Core i5 3337U | 4GB DDR3 | 120GB SSD | 11.6" 1080p Display

my bad... still on windows 7. I heard that the windows 8.1 start button just takes you back to metro UI

some of the earlier start button solutions even the original one from windows did that, but I was setting up a brand new machine the other day and didn't even realise it was win 8 until I moused into the corner and the menu popped out.  I was using the start button, it was setup to work exactly like win7.  If I get back to that school today I will ask the guy who setup the image if he tweaked it or if that was standard.

Start menu can be re-added to Windows 8 / 8.1 via Classic Shell, or StartIsBack.

Hopefully this means even more source code from Microsoft. Like give us vista at least, not a single person liked it anyway.

I don't think that's a very good idea; I mean, for all we know, mixing the source code of broken glass with anything else could result in massacre via lacerations. Ouch.

Windows 8 too shitty no one will care.

Reasons? I'm not here to defend Windows 8 / 8.1; there is a reason I don't pay for Microsoft Software, after all. But what is there not to like about the new features?

News/Sports/Finance hubs built in? One less browser tab for me to open.

Weather app that actually looks decent on the computer? Win.

Distraction-Free full screen apps for Mail/Calendar? I can actually get some work done.

I'll hand it to you though if your gripes are with the Photo/Video/Music Applications; even for the most basic of users, they should really be there strictly for viewing/consuming content. When you want to edit a picture/video or organize your music, an Edit button should launch Windows Live Photo Gallery or Media Player.

You should also look at the new preview of the next update coming out; they might be bringing the start menu back (in limited for) for non-touchscreen devices, or at least give people the option to use both.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Start menu can be re-added to Windows 8 / 8.1 via Classic Shell, or StartIsBack.

Thank you SOOOO much know I can help the people that complain about windows 8/8.1 (me included)

plot twist

releases windows 8 source code

plot twist

dominates linux's market share

plot twist it already dominates linux's market share

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Cool, we can finally add a network stack to MS-DOS!

I know most won't see the forest for the trees but this is a benefit.

Wait, that's MS-DOS v1.1 :( what about v7?

http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/ You mean this?

DOS7 is basically dos mode in windows 95. Windows 95 source would be nice though :P

Old shit no one cares about but me.

plot twist it already dominates linux's market share

Only on personal desktops, if you look at the entire IT industry though it's not even close. 

The best part of the source:

badfart proc    far             ;(what a hack!!)        retbadfart endp

Where in the source is this? Genius.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

No. Linux and other Unix-like OSes are the dominant operating systems. You just don't see them because they're running servers and mainframes and other infrastructure.

But we are talking about desktop os's which is about 1.4%

Although the first time I looked at the server stats I was surprised to see windows with 32% market share of web servers. If I had to guess I would have put it closer to 11-12%.

EDIT: just looked up super computers, no surprises there, 0.4% for windows and 96% for linux. :lol:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Although the first time I looked at the server stats I was surprised to see windows with 32% market share of web servers. If I had to guess I would have put it closer to 11-12%.

It has a lot of useful stuff like LDAP and AD integration, as well as Windows Deployment Services.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Only on personal desktops, if you look at the entire IT industry though it's not even close. 

why would they care? If you have 95% market share who cares? And even then I don't know a single person who uses only linux. Even the 1% who use linux still have windows. Its GG for microsoft and nothing is stopping them.

Damn son, that 1.48%

Made me lol really good, props.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

• 3 weeks later...

why would they care? If you have 95% market share who cares? And even then I don't know a single person who uses only linux. Even the 1% who use linux still have windows. Its GG for microsoft and nothing is stopping them.

Only reason I or any of my friends use windows is because of games, and that landscape seems to quickly be changing. You've got the next Cry Engine, Unreal  Engine 4, and now Star Citizen as well has announced linux support. These are huge wins for linux and start making it look like a real viable platform for gaming and even just a general purpose desktop platform. 

Only reason I or any of my friends use windows is because of games, and that landscape seems to quickly be changing. You've got the next Cry Engine, Unreal  Engine 4, and now Star Citizen as well has announced linux support. These are huge wins for linux and start making it look like a real viable platform for gaming and even just a general purpose desktop platform.

Would they use linux then instead? If they only game on their PCs I guess it really wouldnt matter but I think the desktop experience is still better on windows than linux. There is of course all the software support as well.

Other than games there are plenty of application replacements on Linux to replace just about anything you would use on windows. Honestly I find linux to be just as easy to use and just as seamless as windows now days with distros like Ubuntu which honestly likely gets better support development wise than windows does on bug fixes and such. I likely would move to linux completely if I could play all the games I currently play on them. And frankly once games move over you'll start to see other software as well, or people will just find alternatives just like they do on OSx. 

Other than games there are plenty of application replacements on Linux to replace just about anything you would use on windows. Honestly I find linux to be just as easy to use and just as seamless as windows now days with distros like Ubuntu which honestly likely gets better support development wise than windows does on bug fixes and such. I likely would move to linux completely if I could play all the games I currently play on them. And frankly once games move over you'll start to see other software as well, or people will just find alternatives just like they do on OSx.

thats just the same as saying there are a bunch of extensions in chrome that replace the ones firefox has im sorry to say. They may exist but theyre sub par and missing features. The other thing you have to look at is device support main components may be supported but what about peripherals and other additional devices? I know there are community drivers sometimes but I much prefer to just go an download the drivers from the manufacturer like I have been doing since its been possible. I would immediately switch to linux on my main computer if I could have the same experience as windows or better. This is something that i think we are a long way away from doing.

You still use windows though and that's my point. No one is going to develop AAA Linux games for awhile and even then you'll still need windows for older games such as bf4

You still use windows though and that's my point. No one is going to develop AAA Linux games for awhile and even then you'll still need windows for older games such as bf4

. People are already developing AAA linux games! Heck I just saw on Netlinked Daily that now the next Civilization game is going to be on linux as well. That's 4 big announcements for linux gaming in just the last few weeks.

And yes some older games won't work still, or they could be run under Wine possibly but honestly they could also just as easily be ported to revive interest in older titles. It wouldn't be the first time and porting wouldn't be that difficult either. Linux is starting to get a lot of attention and I'm not sure why you guys seem to be so against it? 

thats just the same as saying there are a bunch of extensions in chrome that replace the ones firefox has im sorry to say. They may exist but theyre sub par and missing features. The other thing you have to look at is device support main components may be supported but what about peripherals and other additional devices? I know there are community drivers sometimes but I much prefer to just go an download the drivers from the manufacturer like I have been doing since its been possible. I would immediately switch to linux on my main computer if I could have the same experience as windows or better. This is something that i think we are a long way away from doing.

I don't know of a peripheral that doesn't work on linux? Most mfg's even release linux drivers on their site, although sometimes they are crap and the community developed ones are better. For example graphics drivers. Many of the companies put out drivers but they are always lacking a bunch of stuff so the community puts them out. The nice thing about this is that a system like Ubuntu has a nice driver system that can automatically grab those drivers or at the very least point you to them. It's not anything like it used to be to get devices working in linux, most are just plug and play just like windows.