How did you learn about computers?

Insoluble

Just curious as to how many of you gained your knowledge in computers.

I gained it by hands on and online research. However, I feel like I don't know enough to work as a tech even though others see me as one.

Broke them a lot, no Internet when I was growing up

Back in 2012 I discovered that PCs were more powerful than consoles. So that's when I started watching Linus. And I joined the forum last year in March.

by pushing buttons until they did something

Something like this http://youtu.be/8d4RtvMQp10?

Really about the same for me, I first got my own (*cough* family) computer to play around on in the 386 days, this thing was awesome, it had an actual floppy drive and could even beep! I learned most things by watching my elder brother and then when he was bored and went outside I would mimic what he had done. Later when I was a bit older and I knew what was going on  started digging deeper into computers, building up my own from scraps and bits and pieces, salvaged off of pretty much everything and I haven't stopped tinkering yet. I once pulled apart the 386's keyboard to see how it worked and forgot where the keys went, that was a good lesson in taking things apart haha.

This all sort of worked as I now work in support and get to play with pc's all day.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Hardware: YouTube and friends.
Software: Pushing all the buttons until the thing I wanted to happen happened.

At first learned some very basic stuff when I got my first laptop around 8 years of age (Compaq Evo N800v. Slow POS).

Began to learn more about desktop PCs when I got my first desktop PC (before that I've had 2 laptops), back then I've had my Xbox 360 (Elite) for about half a year and I was about 11 - 13 years old. Then I realized that as a gaming platform PC is superior to others.

About a year before building my first PC (the current rig) in August 2012, I was learning about PC hardware, mostly what's compatible with each others and what's not.

And now I'm here. I've learned a lot about computers over time, but I still have lots to learn, like most of us here.

An all that with the help of Google and YouTube.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

It just came naturally, I taught myself.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If I wanted to do something, say in Windows. I would click buttons that appeared to be related to what I wanted to do, i.e, change a wallpaper for instance (when I was a first timer), nowadays, I want to do something in a program like Photoshop, I'll click menus and buttons until I get what I want.

If all else fails. Google will be there :wub:

When it came to finding my way around programs and such, I am completely self taught for the most part. Stuff like hardware was YouTube. Linus, Tek Syndicate, NeweggTV, Tiny Tom Logan and the rest taught me everything I know about hardware. Linus includes this forum :)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Just curious as to how many of you gained your knowledge in computers.

I gained it by hands on and online research. However, I feel like I don't know enough to work as a tech even though others see me as one.

I got an apprenticeship at the local IBM when i was young, then went to technical collage and took some classed and then had the privilege to get into a university for my BSc. I also learnt from forums and through research.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Did you manage to burn something with static discharge?

Three of my ram slots won't work. Trial and error, trial and error dude :P

The things learned of that indecent is that I now have memok bottom on Asus boards ;)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

2 years ago, I got into PC gaming rather than using my console.  I had a Dell computer with a pentium 4 and a Ati Gpu with 256mb of RAM.  I wanted to game, so I did a ton of research and built my own computer. Thanks to Youtube channels like LTT and the rest of the internet, I am able to learn a lot about tech and how it works and how to fix stuff.

Screwing around with them until i had broke so many i finally knew how to do stuff

And HOURS AND HOURS OF YOUTUBE

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

Trial and error, friends and Internets.

Yup, this was how i learned also.

My parents don't know very much about computers so I basically had to figure it all out myself with help from the internet. When my friend first mentioned building a computer, I thought he was crazy. But as I learned more about it, it became less and less of a crazy idea. Eventually, after saving up enough money, I built my first computer and now i am really into this stuff.

I have a friend who taught me to build my first PC. The one I have right now from 8 years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I have a friend who taught me to build my first PC. The one I have right now from 8 years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My dad has always been into tech and computers. And we always had computers in the house where I grew up. He once showed me an old IBM receipt for purchase of ram modules for one of his first PCs. I think it was 2 mb(!) of memory - at a price of around 500 dollars with overseas shipping and taxes xD
Since then I've had an interest in tech. As I grew older, I picked up more and more knowledge about computers. From friends and later especially from the internet, forums and guides, etc. 

I've always had a "need" to know how the stuff I use functions. I am a bit of a tinker, I suppose. =)

i was effing windows up

i had to learn how to fix it

This. My dad got sick of re-installing Windows 95 for me at some point. That was also when I finally understood why my dad got mad at me for installing games on the PC.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

This. My dad got sick of re-installing Windows 95 for me at some point. That was also when I finally understood why my dad got mad at me for installing games on the PC.

good old times :)

install one game

hard drive full :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

good old times :)

install one game

hard drive full :P

Yep. My dad gave me a 50MB HDD that was a bit effed up. It did work but there were only 20MB available and I think Dark Forces was on more than 10 discs.

Edit:

But he didn't just get mad at me because of the size of the games. It was more about the fact that they were always messing with the registry and leave a mess allover the place when you tried to deinstall them.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Got inspired by my cousin who studying IT at the time (done now)

I'm mostly self taught, but with some help from him at times.

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Cpu: i7 3820 at 4.3 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 | Gpu: XFX hd 7970 Ghz 1100Mhz/1600Mhz Ram: Crucial BallistiX Elite 16GB 2x8 Gb 1866 Mhz

SSD's: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 GB in RAID 0 HDD:Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 Rpm

Cpu cooler: Corsair H100i with SP120's | Psu: Corsair TX 850W My monitors: 3x BenQ 24"  GL2460 = Eyefinity

I watched a gamer record himself build a computer (he was bad) and I thought it might be fun and than my old winxp latptop started bluescreening and wouldn't turn on again (I still have it I might go fix it.)  So I specd out a build (the one on my profile page) gathered the money I didn't even use pcpartpicker.

and I found linus from one of his build guides.

I started off messing around, reading, dropping my laptop on the floor (actually did happen), and just tinkering. Read my signature. 

Plus a techie dad.

when I was 2 and picked up a calculator 

I was tired of all the things that made consoles annoying, and decided to build myself a computer.