What are the stadard screw sizes for pc cases?

chimimoryo

I think they are m3 screws, but I just want to make sure. Also do fans use different screws? To me they look bigger than m3 screws. 

It doesn't really matter, a simple philips screwdriver should be plentiful, if you're looking for specific bit and size, a PH1 is suitable for most pc cases.

2 minutes ago, chimimoryo said:

I think they are m3 screws, but I just want to make sure. Also do fans use different screws? To me they look bigger than m3 screws. 

Motherboards use M3 screws, I'm not 100% sure of what length.

Fan screws are different, they are self tapping screws and a bit thicker than your M3 screws (self tapping means they create the threading in the plastic of the fans).

A 'normal' Phillips screwdriver is what is needed for both, with a smaller one needed for the M.2 screws.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Fan screws are different, they are self tapping screws and a bit thicker than your M3 screws

So what is the theta of the case hole for case fans? 

3 minutes ago, chimimoryo said:

they are 5.5mm diameter, not sure what length.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

they are 5.5mm diameter

Thanks, I knew they were bigger. 

Just now, chimimoryo said:

Thanks, I knew they were bigger. 

Yeah fan screws are just way different compared to any of the other screw types in a PC.

Keep in mind most screws will come with the case, except for the fan screws which typically come with the fans (and sometimes with the case too).

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yeah fan screws are just way different compared to any of the other screw types in a PC.

I knew they were self tapping, thus had a completely different thread pattern, but I just didn't know how much bigger. 

I did a Google search, after asking (sorry), and it said the same thing. But Google didn't yield any good results about how big the actual case holes, where the screw passes through to hold the fan to the case, are. Do you have any idea the standard diameter of the case hole is for fan mounts? 

3 minutes ago, chimimoryo said:

Do you have any idea the standard diameter of the case hole is for fan mounts? 

Don't know and I can't seem to find any info on it either.

With the thought that case fans are 5.5mm diameter, I would expect the holes to be no smaller than 5mm diameter, but that's truly just a guess.

4 minutes ago, chimimoryo said:

I did a Google search, after asking (sorry), and it said the same thing.

There is no shame in asking something and verifying the answer(s) afterwards 🙂

It's something everyone should do in my opinion, be confident you're getting the right answers, by being critical and verifying the info.

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

I would expect the holes to be no smaller than 5mm diameter

5.4 and I think they wouldn't bite well and bend the mount. But going too much smaller would run the risk of not fitting. I wonder what the sweet spot is... Thank you for your time. 

3 hours ago, minibois said:

Motherboards use M3 screws, I'm not 100% sure of what length.

Fan screws are different, they are self tapping screws and a bit thicker than your M3 screws (self tapping means they create the threading in the plastic of the fans).

A 'normal' Phillips screwdriver is what is needed for both, with a smaller one needed for the M.2 screws.

mb stand offs can use both screw threads. as well as hhd, psu, case i seen them use both types.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

5 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

mb stand offs can use both screw threads. as well as hhd, psu, case i seen them use both types.

Oh yeah I forgot about the Imperial u6-32. I don't know the distribution, on my what is more common to be honest.

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

Oh yeah I forgot about the Imperial u6-32. I don't know the distribution, on my what is more common to be honest.

well probably small screws for ssd and cd drive and probably big for psu,pci, and stand offs. but i have seen small standoffs and big hhd big cd drive dont no about big ssd.

seems like there is no standard to it🤔.  frustrating when you go and attach something is a 5050 chance. i mean i have a 2kg peanutbutter jar 2/3 full of screws so im good.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

16 hours ago, chimimoryo said:

I have an Aerocool Strike ST out of commission and currently working on a TT Tower 900 build. Both cases I'm seeing a range of 4.75mm - 5mm diameter on my calipers. (I say range due to custom powder coating on the Strike ST) I believe both dimensions suffice for self tapping fan screws. 
However, I'm thinking 4.75mm is more of a standard when it comes to radiators. Both cases are showing a 4.75mm dimension in Radiator supported locations.

Here are some readings on my Bitfenix spectre pro 140mm PWM self tappers

6.68mm heads, 4.94mm bite and total length 10.13mm

Hole Clearance is at least 5mm for bitfenix tolerances, likewise for other manufacturers I'm sure.

20210309_104130.jpg

20210309_103734.jpg

20210309_105248.jpg

7 hours ago, brAce4Ace said:

I have an Aerocool Strike ST out of commission and currently working on a TT Tower 900 build. Both cases I'm seeing a range of 4.75mm - 5mm diameter on my calipers. (I say range due to custom powder coating on the Strike ST) I believe both dimensions suffice for self tapping fan screws. 
However, I'm thinking 4.75mm is more of a standard when it comes to radiators. Both cases are showing a 4.75mm dimension in Radiator supported locations.

Hole Clearance is at least 5mm for bitfenix tolerances, likewise for other manufacturers I'm sure.

20210309_104130.jpg

20210309_103734.jpg

20210309_105248.jpg

fan screws come in different lengths. shorter = cheaper

8 hours ago, brAce4Ace said:

20210309_104130.jpg

20210309_103734.jpg

20210309_105248.jpg

Thank you for your detailed reply. I'll have to look for a set of those calipers 

On 3/9/2021 at 6:44 PM, chimimoryo said:

Thank you for your detailed reply. I'll have to look for a set of those calipers 

You're most welcome. I found mine on amazon for less than $20 I think. They probably even carry them at auto stores or even walmart, home depot, or harbor freight in case you're looking to buy local.

Edit: You're in Japan, mb 🤦‍♂️

Edited by brAce4Ace

Given @brAce4Ace 's measurements I'd say 5-5.5mm. Bang on 5 would be more snug but might be too tight for tolerances so you might actually want it slightly larger.

22 hours ago, brAce4Ace said:

You're most welcome. I found mine on amazon for less than $20 I think. They probably even carry them at auto stores or even walmart, home depot, or harbor freight in case you're looking to buy local.

Edit: You're in Japan, mb 🤦‍♂️

Yeah, I picked up a pair of Amazon for around 20 dollars. 

19 hours ago, artuc said:

Given @brAce4Ace 's measurements I'd say 5-5.5mm. Bang on 5 would be more snug but might be too tight for tolerances so you might actually want it slightly larger.

I currently have stalled on my creative thinking. But when I get back to it, I'll keep those measurements in mind. I'm kind of thinking that the hole needs to be as large as the threads, I don't really recall the screw being able to begin tightened in the case by itself.